Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765t - Leaving a motorway and joining a roundabout
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765t - Leaving a motorway and joining a roundabout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: 765t - Leaving a motorway and joining a roundabout Reply with quote

I've swapped a TomTom One for a Garmin 765t. At first I thought that the routing was terrible but I have since found the magnificent map source program that lets me plan routes in immaculate detail beforehand.

My question is this...

On the tomtom I could leave a motorway with the words

"in 100 yards leave the motorway and then turn right on the roundabout"

even when the roundabout was some distance away. This would allow me to choose the far side lane when taking the exit.

The Garmin will say, however

"in 100 yards leave the motorway and then enter roundabout..."

and will not tell me where I need to go on the roundabout until I am 300 yards from it. This is obviously quite annoying.

Any idea if I can change this without begging Garmin to update the firmware?

Thanks

Graham
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid not. The screen should give you a clue but the audio promts are poor...
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lates version of the firmware on my Zumo does do this. So, I think Garmin are aware of this and may be sorting it out for the Nuvis as well (if someone would give me a Nuvi, I'd let you know...)

Alan
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
The latest version of the firmware on my Zumo does do this.

I think the fix might be in the latest VOICE versions, rather than the unit firmware.

My Nüvi 760, 765 & 360 all now issue phrases such as "...then enter roundabout and take 3rd exit", which they didn't do in the past. They used to just say "...then enter roundabout", with a separate instruction later, as to which exit to take.

I noticed it first on the 765 and thought it was a useful new feature. But after updating the voices on the other two, I realised they were doing it too. I'm pretty certain the feature wasn't there in the past - as I'm the sort of person who's always in the wrong lane !

(This is using British English Daniel).
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is that loading web updater and forcing a download of the TTS british voices?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I'll admit whilst i have downloaded them an installed them i haven't tested them yet, but i have no reason to doubt PhilHornby is correct.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I re-downloaded the voices and it didn't change it. I've put a support ticket in as well so we'll see if it works itself out.
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had a Garmin about a month (765T) and thought that the directions had changed - so it's nice to have it confirmed. However it doesn't do it for every roundabout. I just tried in Simulation mode from my house and on the first direction it says "exit on slip road to roundabout and then enter roundabout" - no exit road. After having exited however it then says "continue 2 miles then enter roundabout and take 2nd exit". In general I think the instructions are better than TomTom.
I don't know if it's due to a voice update or not. But last week, I connected via Dashboard. Said there was an update available which I performed. It turned into quite a long one and appeared to download voices in every possible language. (It wasn't the 3.6 firmware update because I had already done that.)
(It's a pity that it doesn't restrict speed camera warnings to correct side of road though. We have about 4 cameras in a mile and that gives 8 warnings.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: