Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8110 software upgrade - first impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8110 software upgrade - first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bit the bullet Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
Well JonandMark, finally bit the bullet and followed you from ViaMichelin and ordered a new 8310 this week. Will test it in France next week and let you know the results. In the meantime I did buy a new Garmin 765 so will be useful to compare. Still do not know if it would beat the ViaMichelin for provision of touring information - like nearest rated restaurants and hotels.

To be honest it can't beat the ViaMichelin and it would seem at the moment no GPS will attempt too. It's a real shame that Navigon purchased the rights to use the data but then only ever stuck with the French version Sad
Maybe consistant badgering of Navigon would help.

I know some of the new software features of the x310 software are a result of some badgering / suggestions by customers.
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculate a new route based on the TMC information appears to have bugs and always tries to return to the original route by making weird stuff... Sad

I'm talking about simulated routes (I have not yet been tested on the road) and it is quite possible that these simulations have anomalous behavior (as happened in 8110) but in real life work properly.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what jonandmarkuk got in his test; with any (bad) luck tomorrow, I'll be able to check out the TMC detour issue in France - as chisposeti says it's probably in the simulation (a bit unbelievable if they have spent another month on the software only to still get one of the major features disastrously wrong). Embarassed Another possibility is that just the Voice process is awry, and that old-fashioned screen tapping will do the trick Cool .

BTW, I've tried a couple of postcode searches on Voice (as I suggested they implement this); a bit strange, though I didn't expect it to work at all - E17 (Walthamstow in London) came up with suggestions ok, but others weren't recognised; and it seems to insist on Street/House Number as well so I said 'none' and '1' which it tried to make an address of. I'd be interested if anyone else comes up with anything. Probably a case of sticking with tradition here too. Rolling Eyes
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Sounds like what jonandmarkuk got in his test; with any (bad) luck tomorrow, I'll be able to check out the TMC detour issue in France - as chisposeti says it's probably in the simulation (a bit unbelievable if they have spent another month on the software only to still get one of the major features disastrously wrong). Embarassed Another possibility is that just the Voice process is awry, and that old-fashioned screen tapping will do the trick Cool .

BTW, I've tried a couple of postcode searches on Voice (as I suggested they implement this); a bit strange, though I didn't expect it to work at all - E17 (Walthamstow in London) came up with suggestions ok, but others weren't recognised; and it seems to insist on Street/House Number as well so I said 'none' and '1' which it tried to make an address of. I'd be interested if anyone else comes up with anything. Probably a case of sticking with tradition here too. Rolling Eyes

Well I never even knew you could search by postcode, I'll have to give that a try Smile Navigon claim you can talk naturally to the unit and it understand so it's hard to know which words it would recognise.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bit the bullet Reply with quote

I will do as you suggest and hope that one day it will happen. I look forward to trying this out next week in France.
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

My tests were not using voice recognition, i have always used the buttons on screen. More details ... in my tests, the device has not suggested any alternative route (this was correct, because the jam to prevent not caused much delay), I forced him to avoid the next jam, and then suggested a route that takes. By the time the new route deviates from the path of the original, began trying to return to the original making strange maneuvers
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having an issue with PoiWarner 'beeping' ALL the time.
I know it's that as the beeping stops the second I shut it down.
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of POI-Warner do you have?...my version it is not the new one, and i´m having the warning of "GPS -Monitor" several times when it´s starting (even after use the gps wizard). I´m starting to think that is mandatory to update the poi warner to the latest version (i´m not sure, but maybe is 3.42) to keep it working
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have got the latest version. I've also noticed it's far more senstive and tells me I'm speeding when I'm actually doing the speed of the road.
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I tried the new software.Good news!!! it seems that the strange behavior of the simulations when altering the original route (via TMC route, using blocks or CleverParking) only fails on the demos. The bad news (for me) is that my POIWarner (v. 3.32.122443) does not work at all (although it shows the green status button) Sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisposeti wrote:
Finally, I tried the new software.Good news!!! it seems that the strange behavior of the simulations when altering the original route (via TMC route, using blocks or CleverParking) only fails on the demos. The bad news (for me) is that my POIWarner (v. 3.32.122443) does not work at all (although it shows the green status button) Sad

At the moment my PoiWarner was working but I turned it off as the constant 'beeping' was really bugging me.
Navigating.de have some bugs they need to work out it would seem.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update didn't bring much improvement (if any) for me. All the reported bugs in the 8110 are still there.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
The update didn't bring much improvement (if any) for me. All the reported bugs in the 8110 are still there.

Which bugs are still there? It helps if you actually explain what bugs you are refering to and people maybe able to help. Rolling Eyes
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
EddyDC wrote:

Which bugs are still there? It helps if you actually explain what bugs you are refering to and people maybe able to help. Rolling Eyes

I've send of lengthy list of problems to Navigon a long while ago, with several reminders.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisposeti - is POI-W ok now? I've got ...443 and have no problem.

If you have lost your POI data, this might be something to try:

Problem

POI Overlay loading seems to go ok and overlay list is complete, but when looking at POI categories they have no entries in them (eg 'Warning in Radius - All', "Manage POIs" etc and no monitoring takes place)

POI-W support say:

"something has gone wrong with overlays during the update. Please connect your sat nav to the computer and search for the POI-Warner directory. Delete the files "overlays.ndb", "settings.ndb" and "poidetails.ndb" (if present) from that directory.
Also delete these files from C:\Program Files\POI-Warner. Then please perform a soft-reset and reinstall all the overlays. "

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: