Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM21 plug wiring - help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM21 plug wiring - help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: GTM21 plug wiring - help please Reply with quote

For some time the cable on my GTM21 has been working its way out of the plug despite my attempts to araldite the cable grommet to the plug itself. Now, although the unit charges my 660FM, the traffic has ceased working. I have dismantled the plug and found two wires had become detached - red and purple. Would anyone be willing to open the plug on their GTM21 and tell me the order of the colours on the plug?
I am currently getting a message that the serial device needs power which is consistent with at least one wire being off.
Any help would be very appreciated.

I notice that the GTM25 is much cheaper than the GTM21. Does anybody know if that will charge and do traffic for the 660FM via the mini usb socket instead of powering via the windscreen mount as with the GTM21?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GTM21 plug wiring - help please Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
Would anyone be willing to open the plug on their GTM21 and tell me the order of the colours on the plug?
I am currently getting a message that the serial device needs power which is consistent with at least one wire being off.

Well I've opened one up and had a look - but none of the wires are purple Question

Did you mean the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter socket ... or the plug that engages with the cradle?

I suspect you mean the latter ...
... in which case you may find some pinouts for that plug if you search for the Garmin VIB 11 that also uses it (I think). (I'm sure I've seen them *somewhere* ... maybe in the thread on GPspassion.com, re: the Nuvi 760 cradle)

I can't take that end of mine to pieces very easily - it's permanently installed in the car - and there's not enough slack at that end of the cable. Sad

and he wrote:

I notice that the GTM25 is much cheaper than the GTM21. Does anybody know if that will charge and do traffic for the 660FM via the mini usb socket instead of powering via the windscreen mount as with the GTM21?

Whenever I've tried experiments like this, I just get "Invalid accessory" messages Sad
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your response, Phil. I tend to forget about GPS Passion!

I found a diagram and explanation on this post
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=91718&whichpage=13
which matches the wiring on my GTM21 even though it is labelled as the GTM20.
The plug is a bit odd as it has 9 pins but only 7 solder points and some printed circuitry that goes between the pins and the solder points. The colours and pins on my GTM21 match precisely this map given that 1&2 and 8&9 are internally connected. My order is red, purple, yellow, blue, black, green, and brown.
When I took the plug apart both red and purple were disconnected and I resoldered both. I am guessing, as purple takes power out to the traffic, that I did not make a good job or resoldering the purple wire. Guess I'd better try again. I will post again if I get it working.
Thanks again
Ron
PS I cannot remember if I can post pictures here. If so I could post low res copies of a photo of the plug and the diagram.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update!
I sent a support request to Garmin and had a quick response that the GTM25 will not work with the nuvi 660FM. They also added that my dead GTM21 has value and that they will do an RMA for £16.66 as the unit is out of warranty. That's a bargain and I have paid the cost and am returning the unit for replacement.
Full marks to Garmin! Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: