Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it a few days ago, I have been interested in Navigon for a while, so it seemed a good opportunity to try it and also try turn by turn on an iPhone.

Did a 1,110km trip from Poland to Denmark and I like it. Due to lack of holder or mount it sat in the ash tray for the trip, but it held on the satellites very well down in the position it was. The voice is not loud enough, maybe to be expected really, but I loved the look of the thing, great information, so I would buy a full sized device in the future.

Driving through Berlin it gave much better information than my TT720 and I quite like the Please turn left in 400m Very Happy

As it is at then moment and I would have thought this version is a quick lets be the first will get better, a very simple thing, no real stunning stuff, just a simple sat nav, so viewing it as that then I am happy
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally wont be using this - I will stick to my TT 720. I am likely to take lengthy phone calls in the car while travelling to site, the very site I am trying to navigate to. If I can't talk and see the map at the same time, then it is not going to suit me, and I presume many other poeple. Shame really, as I would have liked phone and Nav on the one device Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem for me as I don't take calls in the car. Personal choice., nothing is that important that it can't wait until I get there.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to get hold of the review copy after an aborted first download attempt.

Early (very early as I write this at 5am) impressions are OK. Very clean and simple UI, not one for those who like to adjust lots of preferences, and the map display looks nice.

5 digit Post Code still even on my review version but I understand 7-digit is coming in an update.

No custom POI support, this is something I can't forgive. I realise the iPhone platform adds all manner of complexities to this but I know Navigon don't offer this on any platform, hopefully others will be more enlightened.

I shall give it a road test later this morning and I'll have a better idea of how it performs as a basic navigator.
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren
I appreciate you getting up early to do the eval! If you get a chance, I would love to know if the maps cover the Canary islands.
Thanks.
vernonbuzby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the British Isles maps out yesterday.

Screenshots etc are here.

http://iconfessimageek.com/?p=1145

Needs 7 digit postcodes and the ability to add extra countries cheaply (£10 a go?)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr wrote:
Hi Darren
I appreciate you getting up early to do the eval! If you get a chance, I would love to know if the maps cover the Canary islands.
Thanks.

Just checked and it would appear they do, here is a screen-shot of Corralejo in Fuerteventura:

alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Darren - many thanks.
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Darren - many thanks.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded Navigon on to my Iphone, so far I am very pleased with the program works well keeps a good lock on sats and nice voice instructions that I have played through my radio via Aux connection, do miss the camers alerts but I will wait and see what TomTom come out with and probably load that as well ,Its just good to have everything on one gadget and save cluttering up the dash in the car, all in all a good buy.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood rushed on Saturday morning and I bought the app. My previous sat nav app was TomTom Navigator 6 on a Nokia E61, and a lot of my thoughts are comparisons between the two. I'm using Navigon on a 3GS.

Pros

3D map view is very nice IMO. I prefer it a lot to TomTom's version. Map redrawing is lovely, giving the impression of fluid motion.

Maps seem up-to-date (certainly better than the TomTom maps I bought last year).

Routing is incredibly quick (essentially instantaneous for a 180 mile journey).

Routes were sensible.

GPS aquisition is quick and lock is basically OK. It lost the satellites a few times (maybe half a dozen, that I saw) in ~360 miles of driving but no loss was for longer than 20 seconds (most were very brief).

Voice prompts are nicely done and more informative than Navigator 6 (includes the road numbers).

Visual display of the next two instructions when there are two things to do close together is useful.

Lane assistance and the realistic road sign thing both seem spot on (and are useful).

Cons

It did lose satellites a few times.

Voice prompt clarity and volume through the iPhone speaker are pretty poor. Really too quiet and quite badly distorted at audible volumes. I'm looking at after-market BT options to hook it up to the car stereo (which want for music too).

No speed cameras.

No advanced planning.

No 'alternative route' option.

No traffic information.

No full post code look-up.

Overall, as others have said, pretty good but also pretty basic.
Angelfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Navigon for iPhone 3gs - volume problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I seem to have lost the volume when using Navigon on my 3gs. Has anyone any ideas? It still works when I put the headphones in.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sound works fine in other apps without needing headphones? Have you checked the volume slider in Navigon? Available via Map / Options.
Angelfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: volume prob Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the reply ---- is that map/options within Navigon?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, within Navigon - View Map - Options button at top. There you'll find a volume slider, might have been inadvertently moved?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: