Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedoubleu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a quick review of the app after using it today. Its quiet long so is it ok if I just post a link to it on my Blog?

http://mikedoublu.blogspot.com/2009/06/navigon-mobile-navigator-for-iphone.html

Hope people find it useful

Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice summary. 5 digit PostCode is bad, exiting the app for calls is an iPhone limitation and there is no solution in OS 3.0
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more user experiences & reviews at Macrumours:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=726995

The thread also has a link to:
http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/se...t/mapreporting

Which was very interesting for me to look at the Greece map coverage - seems streets are mapped at least for the main towns + roads elsewhere on the few islands I checked (Rhodos/Rhodes, Lefkada, Kos..) which could be a nice little extra to have with us on our Greek holidays Very Happy

Checking my local area back here in the UK most of what I expected is on there, including a few places I know (Headington "Hamburger" roundabout, Oxford which impressively was on a purchased TomTom map months before the work was completed & Hitchcock Way, Didcot which didn't appear on one map update despite existing for 4 years previously)

Assuming of course that the data on Navigon's site represents the map data sold with the product.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedoubleu wrote:
I've made a quick review of the app after using it today. Its quiet long so is it ok if I just post a link to it on my Blog?

http://mikedoublu.blogspot.com/2009/06/navigon-mobile-navigator-for-iphone.html

Hope people find it useful

Mike

Mike,

A good review and the same issues that I've experienced, 5 digit postcodes and the way incoming calls are handled are very dissappointing.

On a positive note the GPS stability, performance & graphics are all OK, and to be honest it does provide navigation features well.

As yet we have nothing to comapre it to, hopefully TomTom will have addressed most of these issues.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now a British Isles only version of this available from the App Store at £37.99 until the end of June after which it will cost £59.99.
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

A good review and the same issues that I've experienced, 5 digit postcodes and the way incoming calls are handled are very dissappointing.

Hi chaps. Does anyone know if all Navigon products lack full UK postcode look-up?

That and the (current) lack of speed camera support are the biggies for me.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcol wrote:
Hi chaps. Does anyone know if all Navigon products lack full UK postcode look-up?

That and the (current) lack of speed camera support are the biggies for me.

MikeA mentioned that the PostCode issue will be resolved in an update. Doesn't solve the speedcam issue though.

Sygic is imminent and IMHo a better app. Let's hope this has speedcam support!
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
There is now a British Isles only version of this available from the App Store at £37.99 until the end of June after which it will cost £59.99.

I saw this yesterday evening and decided today to download it as £38 isn't a bad spend to try it. Sometimes being an "early adopter" pays off, so lets hope Navigon come through with some more features. I don't really need the European maps, despite mapping of Greece being attractive.

The file by the way is about 237MB - I made a copy from my iTunes backup, renamed the .ipa file to .zip and then unzipped it. Not sure if there is anything more to it than that, but inspecting the application contents (on a Mac) reveals stuff which looks fairly complete - UK Map at around 127MB, some prefs stuff, lots of PNG files, text strings for various languages..

Am going somewhere in a bit that I know well. Oxford to Cheltenham, a route which gives a wide range of driving except motorways. Will let you all know what I think later.

Regards,

Ashley
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok some thoughts on the software. I can't really add much more to Mike's excellent review except to say that for me:

Navigon Mobile Navigator for iPhone - British Isles map.
Version: 1.0.0
Build: British Isles build-16620090616122333

I read that as build 166, on 16/06/2009 at 12:23 & 33 seconds.

Good points Cool
- UI is nice, quick to respond, simple. I LOVE the "Take me home" button!
- Integration into the iPhone address book. If ever there was a good reason to sort out your contacts this surely is it.
- Map data - to me it seems very detailed. The included POI's seem pretty up to date as well. I think map data is always going to raise discussion as there is always somebody who can say their 40 year old street is missing.
- Tracking speed during navigation is good, probably a bit quicker than my original TomTom GO.
- Display is uncluttered, and almost topographical in 3D view. It looks polished, and I can't wait to see what they can do in future releases.
- The voice is good which I was a little worried about (being text-to-speech??) having heard some others. The order of instructions between how far away and what to do took a little getting used to as its almost the reverse of the TomTom - personally I think Navigon's make more sense for most of the time.
- Auto rotating display - although portrait (straight up) mode is better IMO because you can see more ahead. I know wide-screen navs look cool but isn't that just so they can put more clutter on the side screen ;)

Bad points (Navigon) Confused
- The app's start-up time isn't the quickest. Its not awful, just not very quick. Its more like my TTGO when I start it from cold, having removed/replaced the SD card for some reason.
- While I like the display, I may like to choose my map colours (minor niggle)
- No custom POI handling as widely reported. Various ways they could sort this one out to get the data onto the iPhone. IMO it needs custom POI loading and sound/visual during navigation as a priority update.
- I'm not sure the expected arrival time is very accurate.
- Roundabout graphics (on the little insert panel which appears) could be clearer, or larger.
- No call handling inside nav. Not sure if this is an Apple thing or not. I don't want to make calls as I'm driving but sometimes you may need to answer one. I thought the new OS3 allowed more call control from other apps, though.
- Full postcode please!!! I remember the 1st ever map on my original TTGO having the 5 digit version, though, so there is scope for improvement. I know the postcode data is licensed from Royal Mail, so maybe there is a cost implication with the full numbers?
- I had one very strange mapping instruction but thinking back I'm not sure if I didn't pay attention to what she was saying so possibly my own fault.

Bad point (Apple) Evil or Very Mad
- They are paranoid about battery drain, so won't allow things like multitasking which would allow a nav app + a speed cam app to run together. My way around this, if I were Apple, would be to allow multitasking when power is attached to the phone. So when charging in the car more stuff is allowed to happen at the same time. Simple. As nobody in their right mind would run Navigon or any other sat-nav app on the iPhone without power for very long (especially if you're using iPod play as well..)

Its a good start. I was worried that it would be really bad somehow, but for the current price of £38 its a bargain + its actually pretty good for a first release. Just think what £38 gets you these days, not an awful lot!

It also gives us another nav device + the iPhone I'm always going to carry with me wherever I am.

Cheers all,

Ashley
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshleyHinton wrote:
As nobody in their right mind would run Navigon or any other sat-nav app on the iPhone without power for very long (especially if you're using iPod play as well..)

Try running the iPod and the Navigon at the same time with all the audio routed via Bluetooth and you will start to hear whats wrong with the hardware, it simply cannot cope with the processor load so the music slows down and you get a noticable pitch shift.

This occurs if you have a route set and then ignore it, for the few seconds prior to the route re-calculation the music is affected (3G 16GB device), haven't tried this via a wired connection to the car for the audio (yet) as I only noticed it this afternoon - Mike
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of downloading this program ,just a queston, what happens when you have Navigon running and Ipod running and you want to move to another track on your Ipod ? ,I am using the Aux connection in my car thanks
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Sygic is imminent and IMHo a better app. Let's hope this has speedcam support!

Presumably ALK will come to the party too as they demoed CoPilot several months ago. Choice and competition are good of course - I just hope they compete on features as well as price.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:
what happens when you have Navigon running and Ipod running and you want to move to another track on your Ipod ?

My unit can do this IF I connect to the Bluetooth iO-Play device in the car with the iO-Play Connect plugged in to the socket on the iPhone as this module offers both A2DP and AVRCP which lets me skip traks back and forwards, without the accessory fitted you cannot advance tracks - Mike
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike Sad
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
pmodern
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the plunge with Navigon GB thinking Sygics release for all Europe would be expensive and Tom Tom not looking like releasing anytime soon. Turns out Sygic becomes available same day and only £60 for all Europe Rolling Eyes

Anyway, Navigon seems pretty good to me, so I'm happy.
Didn't think the 5 digit postcode would be an issue, but it is slightly annoying. Hope they fix that one. Custom Poi's would be nice for some of the more obscure car parks we use out mountain biking but you can get round it by adding favourite destinations from the map. Lack of camera data doesn't bother me TBH all though I think they will add it later.

Overall though, very good little package with a simple but effective UI. Much clearer direction instructions than my old TT GO and works a treat mounted on the centre air vent in a Herbet Richter mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: