Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lite version just allows you to try before buying, as I understand it.
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least with the Lite version you can check out the quality of the map data all be it in demo.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon Lite...Are you kidding me... Seems like i must have bought the lite version as the GPS barely works anyway

zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twotonemark wrote:
At least with the Lite version you can check out the quality of the map data all be it in demo.

YEAH but you cant't check out the quality of the GPS which is of crucial importance. Seems like Navigon are pulling a fast one here

inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did they that the wrong way around then Very Happy I got my full (sort of) full version some weeks ago
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just pulling the GPS data from the phone though. Theoretically the "quality" should be unchanged between app, no?
wise1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen the crazy way apple are handling app store approvals it wouldn't surprise me if navigon submitted this for approval first but ended up with the full version "approved" first
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
It's just pulling the GPS data from the phone though. Theoretically the "quality" should be unchanged between app, no?

This is true but last night I installed Sygic to my iPhone, with the same phone in the same position fitted in my Ovlov it works fine, when running Navigon it loses the GPS signal more often (as mentioned earlier in this thread as I recall) - Mike
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading different forums about different apps that use GPS there seems to be a pattern of folks saying GPS is ok with app X but since 3.0 not so good with app Y. Very strange....most advice I've seen including Navigons is to do a backup and then erase all data and settings and do a restore. But then you see some folks say that helped and others who see no change.

I wonder if the case you have on your iphone in will have an impact considering where the GPS receiver is located on the iphone?

I'm trying hard to resist buying Navigon or Sygic and hold out to see TomTom released and reviews of both app and hardware.

I'm using an app called RunKeeper for jogging and don't find the GPS strong.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Navigon or iPhone was pretty good on the 2,600 km trip it got used for. My iPhone charger does not have a long cable, so it sat in the ash tray down by the radio, no drop out at all, that did surprise me as a couple of GPS apps do drop out when the iPhone is in that position. Something that did surprise me is it kept its hold even going through the tunnels under Berlin when the TT gives in.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's inteference from background apps, although I thought one of the iPhone's advantages is that it doesn't get bunged up with the stuff? Versus say Windows Mobile.

A major variable is the environment of course, and that may well cloud things, no pun intended.

Ditto on holding back for TomTom. I'm finding it a struggle, and am hoping the wait will be worth it... Traffic (presumably HD Traffic for the iPhone) is a key feature for me, although a lack of custom PoI's will be a blow.
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics of the forthcoming Navigon update:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/navigon/

I think I'll hold on for this and to take a look at whatever else is around the corner, tempting though Mike is making Sygic sound.
zebuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have Both Sygic Europe and Navigon europe on my iPhone. I can honestly say that my iphone does not have a GPS issue or my location is a problem. For navigon to suggest (as well as Apple ) to more or less wiping your iphone and then re-sync it, is desperately clutching at straws to explain that it is not their software / hardware that has the issue

I took my iphone out in the car and did the same journey first with Navigon. It took an age to get the GPS signal and was slow to reroute me when taking a different turn to the routed one.

I then took the journey again using Sygic. The GPS locked on in seconds and was very very fast to reroute me when taking the detour.

I have been saying Navigon was pants since a bought it and am still convinced of this even more so now I have Sygic
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeb, what you describe is the same as I have found for some reason Sygic is quite happy to provide a position fix where the Navigon app simply doesn't bother.
Keep an eye on the current speed indication when using Sygic and you will notice its far from accurate at times suggesting far lower values than actual if you are accelerating, conversely when braking the speed takes quite some time to reflect the true speed of the car - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my area of speciality, so forgive me if I'm suggesting the obvious...

Has anyone evaluated the GPS performance with as much as possible switched out - I mean no WiFi, no 3G, no bluetooth, no notifications etc.

I'm not suggesting reducing the hardware functionality for day to day use, but simply to test performance by reducing the load on the iPhone processor

Also, has anyone done a soft reset (or whatever it's called by Apple) to clear the memory? I have iStat for iphone and am amazed at the improvement to subsequent performance whenever I use the 'free memory' function, which is much faster than the power-off reset thingy.

I keep coming across references to the fact that GPS functionality is adversely affected by a phone that's busy doing other things. The most recent reference to this (that I read, not most recent posted) comes from the guy that codes OSMTrack for the iPhone Here.

It's no doubt possible to code different apps in different ways, which may explain a consistent difference in performance from one vendor to another, but my reading here seems to suggest different people are getting different results from the same hardware and software application combination, so this suggests either variation in geographical environments, or variation in the OS's impact on the application code.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: