Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Navigon are listed in Apple's favourite apps as part of their "App Store Turns 1" celebration.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bizarre !!
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps because of the cost they get a nice slice of profit Wink
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
marcol wrote:
plus advice on improving gps signal

I wonder if they got TomTom to write that procedure? anyone thats used a TT PND will know the:

Back it up
Delete everything
Reset the device
Re-install everything

All I find is doing this tends to waste 2 hours - Mike

This is what Navigon say:

Navigon wrote:
During the following process the memory of your iPhone will be reorganized. This will have a positive effect on the quality of the GPS-Signal. The internal memory will be entirely deleted during this process.

I've no expertise in this but it does seem a bit curious. I suppose it might help in some specific circumstances (corrupt files, file structure etc).

From a personal perspective this isn't a problem. I mentioned above that my GPS signal with Navigon was good but not perfect, but actually since I wrote that I've had no drop outs at all.
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And it will leave O2 PAYG iPhone users wondering why they no longer have wireless data access (APN's reset to contract configuration).

Laughing Out Loud Still they've presumably crossed that bridge before so it shouldn't be a major problem
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Perhaps because of the cost they get a nice slice of profit Wink

Perhaps because it's advertising Surprised and it highlights that the iPhone has turn-by-turn satnav. Who else would you choose? - not TomTom as they haven't delivered and not Sygic (someone might ask them to comment on what it's like working with Apple!)
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent Navigon tweets were some points from a chat on pocketnavigation.de. Here's a translation:

http://tinyurl.com/mea874

Beyond what was on Twitter this is what caught my eye:

They're working on a vehicle mount containing a GPS chip.

No phone calls while navigating (OS multitasking limitation).

Integration with 3GS compass offers 'exciting possibilities'.

Speed camera data will be available in countries where it is available for PNDs and the PDA apps [at least I think that's what the Google translation means; if so, would include the UK]

Working on integration with other apps (so that they can trigger Navigon app)

"InAppPurchasing offers many great opportunities, content. We are working on it"

On using full post codes in the UK: "This is currently a highly debated issue for us and we want this feature as soon as possible of course to our users in the UK to offer. We must, however, still some discussions conclude licensing law."

iPhone API offers little info and so no status display for GPS.

New voices as in-app purchase, probably.

"Currently, an "open interface" for external POIs not planned."

No plans for user to be able to add POIs. Not possible.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/guess begin

I wonder if the gps subsystem in the iphone stores information such as an almanac on where the various satellites might be at given times etc.

If so, perhaps resetting the iphone would have the benefit of clearing out that information causing the gps to 'download' new ones and thus improve the accuracy.

/guess end

This is a purely uninformed guess, however I do know that on my stand-alone gps dongle, somtimes I get better results by taking the battery out and letting the information that it's cached just get erased.

-- gyre --
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a long run from southern Poland to Denmark last week and ran it next to my normal TomTom 720 on the trip. I have 120 km to the motorway and the TomTom does try to send me a long way in my view, after while it gives up and my destination time drops 30 minutes Shocked The Navigon seemed to agree with me more than the TomTom for this part of the route.

I much prefer the look of the Navigon to the TomTom and the lane assistant graphics are much nicer. The Navigon scored many good marks while transversing Berlins inner motorway system. The TomTom gives me a turning instruction to the right in 35km. I have to watch myself as you end up in feeder lanes if you stay on the right or slow lane, common sense gives a clue of course, but the Navigon seemed to alert me to this and advised to move to the outer lanes, it was much more helpful to me in what is a busy motorway network through Berlin.

From this trip to Denmark and back to Poland I much preferred the routing on the Navigon. The downsides are of course this is a very basic program and the volume is very naff, I went this route just to try the Navigon platform, not as a serious attempt to replace the 720 with my iPhone, I really feel I want to have the items separate. In that respect when the 720 dies or I have have to suffer another software update I do think I will get a proper Navigon unit.

I was out in the company van in Denmark when I got a call if I could pick something up and I did not have my TT with me, so as an emergency solution. it was more than useful to use my iPhone to route this pickup and I think this is how I will use this application, at this time too many bells and whistles are missing to replace the TT, but it will get you to an address without the need to carry a bag around.
scottjames1uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: No sound Reply with quote

I just recently installed navigon to my iPhone which I must say is really good. The only problem is I have no sound. I have checked the settings and the volume is set to high. Any ideas guys?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the volume is turned up on the phone and within the Navigon application take a look at the silent button on the iPhone (its the one above the volume up/ down buttons), if there is a red dot visible try the switch in the other position.
Do you get sound from any other application on the phone or not? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And read through this thread, there was a user with a similar issue which was resolved although I forget what the solution was.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And read through this thread,

You mean This - Mike
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Navigon Lite version is in the app store now.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note sure there's a lot of point to the Lite version as it doesn't do any GPS guidance at al. I suspose you can see the menu options etc.

Will be interesting now Sygic Europe is available again and is £20 cheaper than Navigon Europe. And Sygic Europe is only £7 more than Navigon UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: