Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And find a local fitter?

Thanks for the URL tip.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can do or if you know how to fit / remove / replace a head unit then you can do it yourself. Literally a 20 minute job...

The hardest part is running the cable for the microphone but some careful looking or asking on owners forums can get you some tips....

Tip: The sticky fixers that come with the unit are VERY strong, so it might be worth using some cheaper, weaker ones at first until you are happy with the position of the control. Then after a week or 2 replace with the stronger ones.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting one fitted tomorrow. Hope it's good! Smile
rjcb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Navigon (on the iPhone 3G) for a few weeks now and, considering I was used to TomTom Navigator, I have been pretty impressed.

Obviously, the 5 digit postcode issue is just that; an issue.

The GPS has been as good as gold for me with no drop-outs and quick startup times too.

Route re-calculation is very very fast IMHO and the maps are a good design.

I would also welcome the ability to change colour schemes, but that is a low priority cosmetic issue really.

What I find quite surprising is the fact that no-one has mentioned the "motorway exit screens" (this is my name for uit, no idea if Navigon have a better name for the feature!)

I have taken some screen shots to show my exit from the M23 (northbound) to the M25 to show you, what I think is a very nice and clever little feature.

Approaching the M23 exit:

On the "first" slip road (this exit is kinda 2 in 1)

Then after a mile on the M25, approaching my exit at J6

What I like about it is that it is very clear and also the placenames on the Navigon roadsigns match exactly as they do on the motorway

On another note, I read with interest that its possible to change the .ipa extection to the iPhone apps on your computer to .zip and examine the contents.
Considering there are tons of POI that com as part of Navgion, is there a way of finding where in the .ipa/.zip file and put the speedcamera locations in there?
I suspect that its all encoded but if it was possible would it causes issues when re-syncing?

Cheers,

Russ
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I find quite surprising is the fact that no-one has mentioned the "motorway exit screens" (this is my name for uit, no idea if Navigon have a better name for the feature!)

I think you will find it has a better name i think its called "Lane Assistance" and many people have commented on its feature as being one of its better features

Also i wish i had your luck with this application i have found it t be quite the opposite regard GPS signal and re calculations and do not even use it anymore . £38 pounds down the drain. Now back using my trusty TomTom Go 520

Last edited by zebsogo on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon have posted a few details of features to be added later this month and even a bit about a subsequent update:

http://navigon.twi.bz/o
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant !! and more later in the summer Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon wrote:
Free Update will be available in July!

Additional languages: Portugese, Czech, Polish, Turkish, Croatian, Romanian, Slovakian, Greek and Russian (GUI und Audio)
NAVIGON's route planning function known from the companies PND line that enables users to plan a route with several destinations
Radarinfo (not for all countries)
Additional map view options (now displays street names in 3D view, optional points of interest (POI) display)
Call POI function (call the number of a POI and save it to your contacts)
Optimized volume control when using the NAVIGON navigation and the integrated iPod function of the iPhone at the same time

Even more features!

More functions such as TMC and text-to-speech will follow in late summer.

More POI capability is a must have, so this is a welcome addition but whether they offer true third party POI suport is yet to be seen. Would be nice if we got PGPSW Speed Camera Database for UK users of the Navigon iPhone application as this would be a significant selling point IMHO.

Phone numbers for the POI data is another major advantage, it always seemed strange to omit this, as the application is designed to run on a phone at the end of the day.

I have no issue with the volume as I don't use the pathetic speaker built in to the iPhone, but when I have tried the application via just the phone the sound level is way too low so any enhancement will be most welcome.

TTS is something else I look forwards to as this makes a very big difference to any navigation application, as for TMC if they get the data from a reliable source then things can only get better.

The only other thing I would like to see is an option to kill the phone when the application is running, this way your Navigation device works as planned and when you get to a stop point/ destination you could use the phone for voice mail etc, this would further road safety by avoiding the urge to answer the phone while driving - I must stress this needs to be a user selectable option if its possible at all - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The only other thing I would like to see is an option to kill the phone when the application is running,

How about enabling the Divert to voicemail option in settings? It's buried a few swipes down in Settings but it'd achieve your wish?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want is the start up of the Navigation application to trigger the divert to voice mail as an option, this should be automatic once selected from within the navigation application, termination of the nav appliocation should switch the phone comms back on (common sense to me).

Its not as versatile as the solution ofered by the PPC platform which offers true multi tasking capability but it would be a good halfway house/ compromise - The current situation of binning the navigation application in favour of a call with no options isn't too hot and needs some redress.

Anyone moving to the iPhone that is used to the PPC based devices will find problems with things they have taken for granted when using the PPC platform, I accept this shortfall, but the iPhone still needs to play catch up to get anywhere close to the mobile connected device it claims to be - its good but could be considerably better - Mike
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no mention of 7 character post codes and no mention of Map updates. I just used the Navigon to come home from a friends house, at one point it told me to turn right but that street was a No entry / one way street and has been that way for at least 2 years maybe more, so i carried on with the route i new but the GPS did not correct itself till i got 500 meters from my home so im not filled with any confidence with the small crumbs they have to offer.
marcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon have tweeted quite a lot about updates, plus advice on improving gps signal (complete reset of device):

http://twitter.com/NAVIGON_
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some nice goodies in there!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcol wrote:
plus advice on improving gps signal

I wonder if they got TomTom to write that procedure? anyone thats used a TT PND will know the:

Back it up
Delete everything
Reset the device
Re-install everything

All I find is doing this tends to waste 2 hours - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it will leave O2 PAYG iPhone users wondering why they no longer have wireless data access (APN's reset to contract configuration).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: