Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone: SatNav and phone mutually exclusive at the moment?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone: SatNav and phone mutually exclusive at the moment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wlodek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: iPhone: SatNav and phone mutually exclusive at the moment? Reply with quote

Just to start a discussion: it seems to me that with the current iPhone system, fully relying on SatNav applications might be a dangerous move.

At the moment an incoming call will cause the SatNav application to quit. Resuming after the call is over takes a full restart of the app (30 seconds at least), and even if the reprogramming of the trip is not required, there is a long time during which you have no navigation software running.

This of course might reinforce good habits of not being on the phone while driving, or simply force us to stop to take the call and resume navigation when we finish. This might not be a practical solution for many, especially if you use navigation and phone for work.

Now, what if you don't even take the call because you are negotiating your way through an unkown city? SatNav will still quit. Set up redirection to voice mail before using SatNav or switch to flight mode? Then you do not have a real multifunction device, but you have to switch between the two functions - one at a time. A bit like a spork ...

I guess I should wait until Apple allows somemultitasking (even application-specific, e.g just the Phone App) before seriously considering relying on iPhone SatNav. After all Apple already allow a mini-iPod app to do this. Hopefully next system update?

Any thoughts?

W.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are wanting is the funtionality offered by a Windows Mobile PDA based device, but I can understand where you are coming from WRT to the iPhone and the time taken to re-launch an application isn't good at all - Mike
Wlodek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What you are wanting is the funtionality offered by a Windows Mobile PDA based device,[...] - Mike

Absolutely! I have used this functionality of SatNav on the old SPV and later on SE P1i with no problems. Even just the need for re-launching (which can be automatic) is not good. You should be able to swap between Phone and SatNav apps at will, say to be able to make a call to say you are stuck in the traffic, never mind to call for assistance. And of course to be able to take a call without interrupting the navigation.

What I would like to achieve is to exert sufficient user pressure on Apple to include such revision in the system that would allow full Phone-SatNav apps multitasking, and to do it sooner rather than later. After all, multitasking has been there in the OS X, it has just been disabled in the iPhone version. This modification seems to me a rather small thing to ask from a device that is aspiring to take the market over.

The announcements on various blogs and fora regarding "death of single function devices" on the basis of iPhone SatNav appearing, seem to me rather premature.

I am keeping my Garmin (for now)! Possibly even invest in a Garmin (yes, I like this make) with Bluetooth to use with the iPhone ...

W.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: