Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding POIs there's no reason why they cannot add support for them.

i use collectorz.com's database/collection software on my pc and their software can export the database to their iphone app's via bonjour/wifi using the current iphone OS 2.2.1. OS 3.0 adds the ability to bluetooth data to the phone and also use the serial port.

all they need to do is create the software (or maybe adjust tt home to do it?) to allow 3rd party data (ov2) to be sent to the iphone for the app to use.

i suspect they won't do this though cos then people might realise that their camera and poi data aren't very good.... although NOT doing it could exclude sales from the more 'hardcore' who want a decent navigation app on their phone not just the 'ooh look i got tomtom on my phone, look how cool and modern i am' crew...

MaFt
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be buying this and hopefully the cradle will be a good solution to power my iPhone while using the soon to be released PGPSW speed camera database app.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the car kit incorporates a GPS? The iPhones internal GPS is not anywhere near good enough for real-time car navigation (doesn't work in towns for example) and so an external GPS would be required. It looks like the mount might incorporates an aerial or GPS due to that "lump" near the top?

EDIT: Seems like it does Smile The site says "The TomTom car kit for iPhone ... enhanced GPS performance"
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Does anyone know if the car kit incorporates a GPS? The iPhones internal GPS is not anywhere near good enough for real-time car navigation (doesn't work in towns for example) and so an external GPS would be required. It looks like the mount might incorporates an aerial or GPS due to that "lump" near the top?

We've asked that question and its not been answered as yet. I'd be surprised if it did but it's possible I guess. Doing so might even open up support to iPod Touch users.

But I'm finding the responsiveness of the GPS much better under OS3.0.

Another question was if the cradle has a speaker. We're desperately seeking answers to a number of queries and will update you once we have any new info.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the "enhanced gps performance" mentioned for the dock might simply be a better antenna rather than an external gps receiver. I'd be suprised though if there antenna connections on the bottom connector as if that was the case, I would have thought that someone would have released and accessory already. A serial GPS built into the dock seems more likely.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Another question was if the cradle has a speaker.

Hi Darren,

I'm pretty certain there's a speaker on the disc that sits directly behind the iPhone-shaped holder - if you look closely you can see a silvery grill that I believe gives it away.

There's a rotary wheel on the bottom left hand edge of the iPhone shaped holder - I presume this is volume.

I'm curious to know what the connectors are - we know it has the dock connector at the bottom, through which it presumably charges. There's also what looks like an audio jack - for what is unclear. But I'm stumped as to what the mini USB connector is for. I suspect there's something like an antenna enhancer in the cradle, not a receiver, but what would require either connecting to a computer or charging through the USB?!

What's most annoying is all this ambiguity has me acting like a TT fanboy again without my even noticing it - Arrrrrgh!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok some limited addittional info:
  • The cradle does indeed have a built-in receiver. No news as yet as to whether this means 1st Gen iPhone and Touch are supported
  • The cradle has a built-in speaker
  • Optional music playback over car speakers via standard audio cable.
That's all I have for now but the inclusion of a receiver is both welcome and interesting as it all but admits that the supplied receiver is not very capable!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn, there IS a receiver... ok, so that's how TT are resolving the impact on their PNDs over potential pricing - it's going to be an expensive bit of kit and you pretty much need both software & hardware if you want performance. There was always a question over the antenna in the 3G. I wonder if they've improved it for the 3GS? It's a warning to all the other potential software solutions.

Shame the audio isn't via an FM transmitter - a wire? That won't work in my car, for starters.

Oh well...
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, so now I'm starting to answer my own questions...

If you look at the picture Here, the implication is that the dock connector connects the iPhone to the cradle, but the mini (or is it Micro?) USB connector on the cradle is used for charging, presumably both the iPhone and the cradle's receiver (& other active circuitry).

And the audio cable is for running to what? Either your installation cabling on your car audio system (if you're lucky), or a cassette adapter if your audio system still takes cassettes (mine doesn't) or a direct Aux audio input (which mine doesn't have!). Grrrrrrrrrr!

So, as well as the charging cable I'm going to need to run the audio output into a generic FM transmitter to get audio to the in-car HiFi... dull dull dull.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the OS3 adds the A2DP profile to the iPhone it should be possible to send the audio via Bluetooth to a suitable car stereo or one fitted with the iO-Play module.
As for the GPS, being an on road navigation package the position will be locked to the road which should reduce some of the jitter associated with the poor perfmance of the internal receiver. To get a true working solution though is going to be rather costly by the looks of it - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
, but the mini (or is it Micro?) USB connector on the cradle is used for charging, presumably both the iPhone and the cradle's receiver (& other active circuitry).

mini-USB.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As for the GPS, being an on road navigation package the position will be locked to the road which should reduce some of the jitter associated with the poor perfmance of the internal receiver. - Mike

Ah, is that how it's done? I often wondered why, if I stored a POI from an unmapped car park for example, the system wouldn't let me use the POI for route planning! It would seem logical to have an unlock function to enable the device for off road/rambling, but then I guess there are people out there with dedicated devices for such usage.

So what I see today with Google Maps on the 3G, with my location periodically wandering away from the course of the mapped road, is automatically compensated for by TBT solutions? Clever! Explains why, when I disobey 'Doris', she takes a while to catch on!

There should be a thread somewhere about the most popular names given to sat navs! Off Topic
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
So what I see today with Google Maps on the 3G, with my location periodically wandering away from the course of the mapped road, is automatically compensated for by TBT solutions? Clever! Explains why, when I disobey 'Doris', she takes a while to catch on!

TBT? Lock to Road is common amongst ALL road nav solutions. GPS is good but it can still wander by 10m or so hence the lock to road function smoothes out this error.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TBT?

Turn-by-Turn... TBT is SO much easier! Laughing
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TBT? Lock to Road is common amongst ALL road nav solutions. GPS is good but it can still wander by 10m or so hence the lock to road function smoothes out this error.

Throw in road geometry errors, which is probably even the bigger problem, and allowing 50 or so yards of road-snap leeway is really a necessity.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: