Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Speed Camera Van Detection Direction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Speed Camera Van Detection Direction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim208046
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Mobile Speed Camera Van Detection Direction Reply with quote

When reporting mobile speed camera vans you have asked for as much detail as possible

- Police mobile van parked on pavement at the top of Centenary drive on the right hand side of the junction with Hawton Lane. Checking west to east traffic. Van was positioned on the opposite side of road to direction of travel
- Mobile speed camera van spotted in the lay by, catches traffic in either direction

How do you know which way the vans detect, I assume that the van does not need to be on the near side of the road that is being monitored?
Regards
Jim
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is in a van pointing out the back then i would assume single direction. if it is a copper outside a van with camera on a tripod or handheld then it could be reversible - but only mark it as such if it WAS seen in use both ways!

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a van with the camera pointing out of the back can they check your speed after you pass them (as you are moving away from them)?

I ask this because I have seen them parked on the "wrong" side of the road, facing the traffic, and have never known if they are detecting traffic coming towards them on the opposite side of the road or travelling away from them on their side of the road.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... good point... didn't think of that!! i might just pull up and have a chat with our local operator next time i see him...

MaFt
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo All,

This is a question I have often wondered about as well. I seem to remember reading a post somewhere that some vans also have camera facing the front? I often report "Seen Again" cameras and more often than not they are listed as being "Reversible" with visible cameras pointing out of the back of the vehicle. Should these be edited? Again they are often shown as "reversible" but with a detection direction shown as well. I wonder that if there are cameras facing only one way then would we assume that they are NOT reversible? mmmm.....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamwolfe wrote:
Again they are often shown as "reversible" but with a detection direction shown as well.

Some software such as the IGO based stuff uses the direction information to suppress cameras that are not pointing along the road (such as a cam on a minor road at right angles to a major road). The IGO s/w accepts the 'reversible' parameter, such that if a cam is given a heading of 90 (on the main road) , if it is logged as reversible, the s/w will also detect the cam on a heading of 270. If however you are, say, crossing the main road right by the cam at a heading of 20, the s/w will not alert you of the cam.

adamwolfe wrote:

I wonder that if there are cameras facing only one way then would we assume that they are NOT reversible? mmmm.....
If it is likely/possible/reasonable to face the van the other way, then it could be classed as reversible.
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is likely/possible/reasonable to face the van the other way, then it could be classed as reversible.

Doh.....

Thanks for that Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in theory most mobile vans could be reversible - simply park the thing facing the opposite direction!

What I'd say is submit your best judgement on it. As far as I'm aware, most of the mobile cameras can trap both approaching and receding traffic, so it's not necessarily a case of which way it's facing anyway.

In my experience they generally seem to trap approaching traffic - as I get there, the camera is looking out at me as I approach - I don't think he's looking over my shoulder past me at traffic running away from him on the other side of the road.

Another judgement I make is "logic". Does it seem likely that the camera can take sight on a vehicle at the other side of the road? Is there enough vision? Will oncoming traffic block his view of receding traffic? Is it dual carriageway where a central barrier would block the line of sight?

It's all quite difficult sometimes and short of pulling up and knocking on his window to ask him, there's no definitive answer.

So, best judgement please and the Verifyer will do the same - we sometimes ask for it to be logged as reversible, sometimes say it can't be. We very rarely ridicule a submission and when we do, it's perfectly obvious that any of you would laugh at it too (I once posted here a picture of an alleged farm gate in the middle of Builth Wells High Street Very Happy ). If everybody tries to do their best in the interests of the database and users, we can ask no more.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply DennisN.

Quote:
If everybody tries to do their best in the interests of the database and users, we can ask no more.

Couldn't agree more. Very Happy
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum gone 'done' by a mobile SCP van near where we live, and it photographed her from behind. You could clearly tell it was her by the long hair. So I guess they can work photographing traffic coming towards AND away from the SCP van.

iPhone 12
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An expensive 'heads up' on what they can or cannot do. Crying or Very sad I it does however settle a fairly long outstanding discussion. I suppose that we must now consider this more closely when verifying SCP van sites
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine (typically he is usually the one driving very very slowly) thought the camera van couldn't get you when you are travelling away from them. £60 and 3 points later he now knows they can. As far as I am concerned the only directional cameras are fixed single direction 'gatso' type and mobiles when on dual carriageways. On a single carriageway road a mobile unit is always capable of operating in both directions.
Motormouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Speed camera vans Reply with quote

I was caught by a moble van on the opposite side of the road, I had my sat nav on and it alerted me, I marked it as seen again, but as it was on the opposite side of the road I did not think it catching the cars that were driving away from it, but within 14 days I got a NIP doing 36 in a 30 MPH zone, but luckily I was able to do the speed choice course instead of getting the points, so mobile camera vans do work in both directions no matter what side of the road they are parked, I have the NIP to prove it, P.S it was not a dual carrageway road.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the Three Counties Show, near Malvern, on Saturday 20th June 2009. The Gloucestershire Safety Camera Partnership had a stand at the show with a couple of Safety Camera Vans and a motorbike.

I spoke to one of the civilian camera van operators and he confirmed that once set up and running the camera/laser system can capture vehicles both approaching and driving away from the van. Therefore mobile Safety Camera Van/Motorbike sites should always initially be considered as reversible. Obviously if the site is located on the side of a dual carriageway then it may not be possible for the operator to target the opposite direction, especially if there are any visual obstructions (trees, bushes, fencing, etc) in the central reservation.

In the case of vehicles with only a rear number plate (e.g. motorbikes) the external CCTV cameras on the Safety Camera Van can be used to record that information and when the van goes back to base then the number plate of the speeding vehicle can can be determined from the recorded evidence.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, hand helds can point either way as well. Confused
Perhaps a policy needs setting amongst the management and verifiers, in so far as if a cam has got a possibility of pointing either way, then we should class them as reversible unless the site really is a one way only possible (just round a tight bend etc.).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: