Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux 230 --> iPAQ 2210 autoconnect problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux 230 --> iPAQ 2210 autoconnect problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Holux 230 --> iPAQ 2210 autoconnect problem Reply with quote

I have a holux 230 and an iPAQ 2210 for a few weeks now and use TomTom software. I set up a connection between the 230 and the Ipaq, paired them, installed the holux GPS viewer and then TomTom.
Everything worked fine for a while.
When the iPAQ was switched on and then I switched on the holux it would automatically setup a connection with the iPAQ on the incoming com port 5.
Both the holux gps viewer and TomTom could use com 5 to read the data from the holux.
Now suddenly the holux would not connect automatically and I have to initiate the connection myself and then it connects to com 8.

Does have anybody an idea why this autoconnect does not function any more?

I have a laptop with a socket bluetooth card and the holux will autoconnect to this laptop when I switch it on and it is in range of the laptop, so the fault seems to be in the iPAQ.

I did a hard reset on the Ipaq an installed everything new, but still no luck.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be aware that there is a severe "functionality" (some would call it a bug) in the TomTom GPS driver 2.09 - it occupies the COM8: port (so no other program can use it) and emulates the output on COM5:

Try deinstalling the GPS driver 2.09 and installing 2.07 (you can get that one from this site). This will allow you to use the standard COM8: , and also use it from other programs.

Then there is a registry patch that will suppress the BTM from asking about restoring the connection. You find it in the TomTom forum.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
roadster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: nothing to do with TomTOm gps driver Reply with quote

My problem has nothing to do with TomTom nor its GPS driver.

I want to autoconnect the Holux 230 to my iPAQ on com 5 the moment I switch on the Holux. Just like my Jabra 200 bluetooth headset connect automaticly to my Nokia phone the moment I switch it on.
This was working in the beginning but not any more.

I wonder why?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because your problem DOES have to do with the TomTOm GPS driver. v2.09 is manipulating the BT stack.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roadster,

i had exactly the same problem myself - except mine was that the initial connection was via comm 8 and after using tomtom it tried to use comm 5.

The Holux should actually connect on comm 8 but the tom tom gps driver tries to make auto connect work - it does this by forcing a connect to comm 5 (as I understand it this is because some PDAs have dodgy bluetooth stacks - so to fix it TT made a kludge that takes over your bluetooth completely).
There are two ways around this - download the BTregtweak program you 'll find mentioned in the thread below http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3586

If you follow the info there it'll sort all yoour problems - just remember to always quit out of Tom tom before you switch the receiver off aas this makes sure teh PDA remembers what the last bluetooth connection was...

DinAlt
roadster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer, but I already have red that topic.

My question had nothing to do with TomTom. Before I installed TomTom, my Holux would autoconnect to my Ipaq the moment it was switch on. It then connected to com5 (the incomming comport on a 2210).
This still worked after installing TomTom, but somewhere down the road of installing new versions of TomTom gps drivers or BT updates from HP I lost this functionality. Now I can only connect to the Holux by initiation of the Ipaq and the it connects to com8.
roadster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye the way,

I did at some point do a hard reset (different problem), so everything should have worked as in the beginning. No luck there.
I am beginning to think it is something in the holux itself. Maybe I should drain the battery to accomplish a hard reset?
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There is absolutley nothing wrong with the GR-230 if, and we stress IF, you can link to your laptop. So therefore, don't wait for the battery to go flat as you'll still have the sam issue but be about 30 days further down the line. Wink

The fault lies in the driver installed by TomTom grabbing the COM 8 port and not releasing it unless a soft reset is performed.

The GR-230 MUST connect on COM 8 for trouble free operation and you should ensure that your iPAQ has the latest ROM upgrade on it. Now delete the less than useful TomTom ~GPS driver and re-install 2.07 driver instead.

You may need to make sure that the Bluetooth Settings are set up so as not ask for authentication too.

We hope that this is of help to you and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Kindest regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team.

Tel: 0870 321 5929 ext 52
Fax: 0870 321 4029
e-mail: tech@holux-uk.com
web: www.holux-uk.com

HOLUX Navigation Aids "......Get there."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: