Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ClipOn GPS and IPAQ 5550 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ClipOn GPS and IPAQ 5550 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdaley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: ClipOn GPS and IPAQ 5550 problems Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an IPAQ 5550 and Fortuna Clip On bluetooth GPS which I can't persuade to communicate.

I can establish a bluetooth connection between the GPS and IPAQ using the Bluetooth manager, but always see zero bytes transferred in the status view.

TomTom 3 never shows any satellite status information from the GPS, despite the blue bluetooth status light being lit on the GPS. I'm using NMEA at 38,400 baud on COM 8:

Any ideas? I've tried a terminal connection to COM 8: (the outbound bluetooth serial port) but just get connection failures... I also never get a green "lock" light on the GPS, even after an hour out in the open.

Cheers,
Pete
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From unboxing, my Clip-On took what seemed like at eternity to get its first fix. futhermore, it seemed to need a really, really good view of the sky to get that first fix.

This problem re-appeared the first time the battery went flat. Again, it needed a super clear view of the sky to get its first fix again. I'm waiting to see if the flat battery thing happens again - I'm still on only my second charge.

On both occassions so far, as a last resort, I switched it into XT mode and left it out in the real open - no buildings nearby. On both occassions so far it then got a fix within two minutes. Once that fix had been achieved (straight out of box - after first recharge), subsequent cold starts would lock very quickly indeed - in either mode.

So, two hiccups so far. First ever fix, and after first recharge. Both solved by going into XT mode and finding a massive open car park. BTW, it resolutely refused to get its first ever fix indoors, in XT mode.
njseq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm having problems with TomTom 3 GPS software. Tried every device in the config, but couldn't get any data from GPS device...

The BT lead shows activity and is bounded... It is also in XT mode... I think...

Any clue?

Thanks.

NJSEQ
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will take a look at mine when i get home, but have you tried COM port 6, as it seems to ring a bell :|
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here was the post i used to setup my 4150 :

Surperb. Many thanks for your help...

...your help in setting up the Blue Tooth that I would not have managed on my own and pointing me to the NMEA 0183v2 38400 driver was great.

One difference for anyone with this setup and an iPAQ 4150 is that it is COM6.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: