Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8.351
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8.351
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Might be an idea in future to get an SD card and use that for initial updates, leaving existing system on internal - so that you can stop, pull the SD card and revert to booting and running from internal.

I have a 903T with an SDHC card. The OS and maps are on the device. It sounds like the device will look first at the SDHC for the OS & maps?

Can one have v8.302 on the card, with the maps on the device, or should each be a "complete" entity, ie contain both and maybe all the other folders, too?

Cheers,

Mark
quozl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
quozl wrote:
the issue is still there with regards to the GPRS disconnecting when trying to accessing Weather or any other GPRS service so they haven't fixed that yet.

I don't have, or never have had any GPRS issues, and I would suggest it's probably your service provider.

It is not my service provider, it makes the GPRS connection with the phone but when you go an use any service the 930 locks up and the phone drops the packet data connection with the 930. It works perfectly with version 8.302 it is only since the 8.350 release that this issue has started, I am also not the only one experiencing this but thanks for your input none the less.

Cheers Quozl
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.6.2.1586
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkWorthington wrote:
Can one have v8.302 on the card, with the maps on the device, or should each be a "complete" entity, ie contain both and maybe all the other folders, too?

You can mix and match happily, having whichever on either or both. It's not necessary to have the OS on both, but you can. And you can have different OS versions on the device and the card.

The rule is, it will always boot first from the SDHC card if the OS (whatever version) is on the SDHC Card and even if the OS is also on the device - that is my own setup. I have 8.302 on the device and 8.351 on the card, so it boots up in 8.351. If I switch off, remove the card and reboot, it comes up in 8.302. I could change them round with no problem. Or I could just have the OS on the device and several maps to switch between on the card. Or OS on the card and just maps on the device. I wouldn't recommend not having an OS on the device, only because the device would be unusable standalone without the card.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The rule is ...

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. Smile

One (hopefully) last question : does this apply to all the folders? For instance, the itn folder contains my itineraries. This folder could then be on either; if on both, the card takes precedence.

Have I got that right?

Cheers again,

Mark

Later .... the device must mix-&-match, sometimes. For instance, I can keep photos in the photos folder, both on the SD & device. They are all available to view ....

Last edited by MarkWorthington on Thu May 28, 2009 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Just copy the loose files in the root of your backup to the root of the unit, overwriting what is there. Don't copy any of the folders or their contents.

Thanks, David.

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of files within folders that also need to be sent to the device/ memory card, the best way is to use WinRar to extract the zipped download to the device, these zipped files from earlier Navcores will still be on your PC in the Home/ downloads folder - Mike
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There are a number of files within folders that also need to be sent to the device/ memory card, the best way is to use WinRar to extract the zipped download to the device, these zipped files from earlier Navcores will still be on your PC in the Home/ downloads folder - Mike

Mike,

v8.302 came with my device, I suspect, so it doesn't exist in any cab file, just as loose files within the backup I made at the time. The later versions (v8.35 & v8.352) are indeed in their respective folder and xipped files.

I don't have those cab files here, so I can't check them to see what their internal folder structure is ...

I read in another of your posts of downloading these files direct from TT rather than through HOME (though I've not had any bad experience with HOME itself). Do you have a link to the right part of their website, please?

Cheers,

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have still downloaded the older files Here - Mike
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You could have still downloaded the older files Here - Mike

Mike,

That link downloads v8.35, not v8.302 ......

The link itself is http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.350.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab .... but when I go hunting for the download page on TT's site, I can't find anything, it just points me to HOME.

Mark
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quozl wrote:
technik wrote:
quozl wrote:
the issue is still there with regards to the GPRS disconnecting when trying to accessing Weather or any other GPRS service so they haven't fixed that yet.

I don't have, or never have had any GPRS issues, and I would suggest it's probably your service provider.

It is not my service provider, it makes the GPRS connection with the phone but when you go an use any service the 930 locks up and the phone drops the packet data connection with the 930. It works perfectly with version 8.302 it is only since the 8.350 release that this issue has started, I am also not the only one experiencing this but thanks for your input none the less.

Cheers Quozl

Having the same problem with my 520,and only since 8.350, rolled back to 8.302 ...no problems,reported to Tomtom who told me to manual connect, in reply told them again it was 8.350 that was the problem.when the customer survey was e-mailed to me gave all negatives and in comments that they should listen to what customers tell them.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkWorthington wrote:
That link downloads v8.35, not v8.302 ......

navcore/8.350.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

I thought you might have worked out from the URL if you change:

navcore/8.350.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

To

navcore/8.302.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

You will get what you are looking for Wink - Mike
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will get what you are looking for Wink - Mike

Ha! I remembered a post recently where a user said that didn't work, so I didn't experiment!

But tell me, how do you know where to find these?!

Cheers,

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkWorthington wrote:
But tell me, how do you know where to find these?!

There are two ways, once you know the Navcore number its easy, and that generally gets posted on the forum within a few minutes of its release, the second one involves a crystal ball and is far more mysterious - Mike
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The second one involves a crystal ball and is far more mysterious - Mike

mmmm, sounds like an undocumented feature Wink

Mark
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
navcore/8.302.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

Mike,

I'm about to unzip the above cab file to my SD card, so I should then boot up into v8.302 .... in the meantime, I seem to remember that my HOME version of v8.35 stored some more files (ie other than the cab) in the relevant local folder. Are they important/necessary?

Cheers,

Mark

Later : the 2 files are a toc and png , so not essential, I would suggest.

Last edited by MarkWorthington on Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: