Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with Integral SD Cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Integral SD Cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Problems with Integral SD Cards Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm going to have to eat humble pie here. I haven't had any problems with both of my 512mb SD cards until recently where I've been beta testing some new software and having to keep uploading a hundred megs worth of maps to the SD card and I've now found that both my 512mb SD cards keep failing with CRC errors when either copying in the Pocket PC through ActiveSync (it causes the PPC to lock up and ActiveSync connection to die) or if I put it in my SD card reader, I get windows CRC copy errors. However, if I keep retrying to copy eventually the files will copy across.

Scanning both drives show no errors whatsoever, so a format is going to be the next stage, but it does seem like the storage may be ready to fail soon Crying or Very sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the markings on the back of your cards, Dave? Is it Sandisk style (two letters, four number, and probably two further letters), or is it something else?

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D000 BP3DD002116 and D000 BP3DD002145 both manufactured in Japan.

Cards have been really good until now, and they work flawlessly but writing large amounts of data to them are throwing up checksum errors. Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Panasonic codes - I'm rather surprised you're getting trouble with Panasonic cards.

I suppose it could be that the memory in the cards is wearing out. Flash memory doesn't last for an indefinite number of write cycles, and repeatedly writing hundreds of MBytes of maps isn't the most card friendly thing to do. That said, I've had no great problem with my 256MB Lexar card (which I believe is a Toshiba card) that has daily 30-odd MB backups written to it.

What Pocket PC(s), ROM version(s) and card reader(s) are you using? Is it just writing from this one (beta?) application that's causing problems - if so, it may be doing something to provoke the errors. What happens if you try to move lots of information on and off the cards using Windows Explorer?

If it's not just that one application and you've got any warranty left, it might be worth trying to exchange one of the cards to see if the new one performs any better. I was thinking of buying one of these myself (someone else has posted in the forums and emailed me even more information indicating that 512MB Integral SD are Panasonic or at least another "Made in Japan" type), so I'm particularly interested, not just for my situation, but because this affects the advice I give to others.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
What Pocket PC(s), ROM version(s) and card reader(s) are you using? Is it just writing from this one (beta?) application that's causing problems - if so, it may be doing something to provoke the errors. What happens if you try to move lots of information on and off the cards using Windows Explorer?

I'm actually running the base ROM release on the 2210's, purely because I have so many GPS Apps installed I can't easily wipe them and re-install everything to be sure that I'm back to the same standard of setup. Interestingly enough the reason why I started to use a card reader was copying via ActiveSync kept disconnecting the connection and I'd then find both the 2210's locked solid, only way was to soft reset them, and when I went to a card reader (unbranded) rather than getting a lockup, I then found the cards were CRC erroring which would cause the Pocket PC's to lockup as they don't have great CRC error control built into the OS. Copying lots of files has the same effect, but it seems to have more issue with files over 20mb in size both via Windows Explorer to SD card (via reader/writer) and via ActiveSync/Pocket PC.

DavidW wrote:
If it's not just that one application and you've got any warranty left, it might be worth trying to exchange one of the cards to see if the new one performs any better.

It was initially one beta that I was running but I then tried re-installing TTN3 and kept having issues with either it not recognising the maps (corrupted file) or it hanging the PPC when re-copying maps across. This what originally highlighted the problem to me.

I don't really do a lot of massive copying so once apps are installed they stay installed, and although I do backup the cards, I don't do it regularly as nothing much changes apart from ebooks that I copy onto the PPC. BTW, if you haven't read Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, it's a must!!! Just completed it, and it's yet another masterpiece from Dan Brown!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: