Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxxx
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxxx
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxxx Reply with quote

As a new member, I eventually downloaded speed cams but now, each time I open Tom Tom Home, I get an empty folder, "pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxxx", and two empty sub-folders, "Complete" and "temp". They can be deleted but return again when TTG Home is opened. Could somebody advise if this is normal or how to remove permanently please... TIA..

Heiter

EDIT by MaFt - the random characters are a part of anti-piracy measures so have been edited!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you possibly give some more information, please? What device do you have, what version on the database are you downloading?

If you have a TomTom and I assume you do because you mention HOME, please can you say if you are attempting to use HOME to load the cameras to the device. It is not necessary to do that. The contents of the zip file you downloaded should just be extracted to the Map folder of your device. I use WinZip to do this, but Windows XP's own extractor will do the same job.
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Could you possibly give some more information, please? What device do you have, what version on the database are you downloading?

If you have a TomTom and I assume you do because you mention HOME, please can you say if you are attempting to use HOME to load the cameras to the device. It is not necessary to do that. The contents of the zip file you downloaded should just be extracted to the Map folder of your device. I use WinZip to do this, but Windows XP's own extractor will do the same job.

TTG 730 with Windows XP. Each time I click on the taskbar icon TT Home opens and the folder pgpsw-speed-cams-vl9PF appears on the desktop. If I click on the folder then a window opens and two sub-folders appear. The sub-folders are: "Complete" and "temp". All these folders can be deleted but reappear whenever I click on the TTG Home taskbar icon to open TTG "Home". Thanks...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heiter wrote:
TTG 730 with Windows XP. Each time I click on the taskbar icon TT Home opens and the folder pgpsw-speed-cams-vl9PF appears on the desktop.

And these folders aren't on your desktop prior to launching HOME?
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Heiter wrote:
TTG 730 with Windows XP. Each time I click on the taskbar icon TT Home opens and the folder pgpsw-speed-cams-vl9PF appears on the desktop.

And these folders aren't on your desktop prior to launching HOME?

No.. Everything else appears fine. As soon as I click on the taskbar icon the TTG Home opens and the previously mentioned files appear in the order stated, ie., the main folder and clicking on this opens the sub-folders. After the "pgpsw-speed-cams-vl9PF" window opens the sub-folders appear and then if I click on the *Folders* tab at the top it shows a list of files and the bottom of the list is "pgpsw-speed-cam-vl9PF" and its sub-folders underneath.

Cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not clear on this. Can you take a screen-shot of your desktop before you launch HOME and then after and email them to me?
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm still not clear on this. Can you take a screen-shot of your desktop before you launch HOME and then after and email them to me?

All my desktop icons are showing normally as before. I L or R click on the Tom Tom taskbar icon and the menu appears. I then click on "Start Tom Tom Home". The "TTG Home" window appears. If I use a reduced size screen then I can see all mt desktop icons down the left-hand side of the screen and they take-up 1.5 vertical rows of icons from the left of the screen. Half-way down the second column the last icon appears. Immediately under that and after opening "TTG Home" a yellow folder called "pgpsw-speed-cams-vl9PF" appears on the desktop. This folder and its two sub-folders are *empty* each time. I didn't have this problem prior to installing pgpsw software.

Cheers...
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that one of the previously downloaded speed camera zip files has been saved to the Desktop,

It may have a 'hidden' attribute connected somehow to Home and when that opens, the folder appears, but the files within have been moved to the device.

May or may not hold water, but it's all can think of, especially as there is no 'software' associated with any database files downloaded from PGPSW.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're assuming you are trying to install the PGPSW camera database and not just run Home?

If so, the normal method doesn't use Home at all. If it opens, shut it down.

Just extract the files from the zip archive, by clicking on it and selecting "extract all" then copy and paste the resulting files into the map folder on the TomTom. It's all explained in the install instructions
HERE, or the video guide HERE
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
We're assuming you are trying to install the PGPSW camera database and not just run Home?

If so, the normal method doesn't use Home at all. If it opens, shut it down.

Just extract the files from the zip archive, by clicking on it and selecting "extract all" then copy and paste the resulting files into the map folder on the TomTom. It's all explained in the install instructions
HERE, or the video guide HERE

As far as I'm aware, everything (gpgsw) has installed O.K. I'm just left with the annoyance of the empty files appearing whenever I go into TTG Home.

Cheers...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now, thanks for the clarification.
Back to the problem.... Confused
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I understand now, thanks for the clarification.
Back to the problem.... Confused

Yeah, right Confused Wouldn't it be easier for me to uninstall Tom Tom from my PC and start again..?? The relavent information is already on the TTG 730 unit so all I would have to do is reinstall the TT CD info' and update it, isn't it or would this create a problem..?? BTW.. I also found some empty TTG files on my PC which also kept repeating.

Cheers...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we might be a bit flummoxed here... or at least I am!
It sounds like Home has somehow got itself "associated" with zip files, but how it is finding them and why it is trying to put the results on the desktop is a bit of a mystery.
Can you check to see if there is anything with "PocketGPS..." in the title in your My Documents/TomTom/Home/Downloads folder (or any of it's subfolders). If so, delete it.

By all means try reinstalling Home. Don't bother with the version on the CD, that will be very old, get the latest from TomTom's website HERE.
You might find that doesn't fix it though.
Second technique you could try would be to delete the entire HOME folder in your Documents, before you reinstall Home, that should get rid of anything left in the downloads folder.

But there might still be some references to Home and PocketGPSWorld in the PC registry that need sorting out..... That would be stage 3!
Heiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think we might be a bit flummoxed here... or at least I am!
It sounds like Home has somehow got itself "associated" with zip files, but how it is finding them and why it is trying to put the results on the desktop is a bit of a mystery.
Can you check to see if there is anything with "PocketGPS..." in the title in your My Documents/TomTom/Home/Downloads folder (or any of it's subfolders). If so, delete it.

By all means try reinstalling Home. Don't bother with the version on the CD, that will be very old, get the latest from TomTom's website HERE.
You might find that doesn't fix it though.
Second technique you could try would be to delete the entire HOME folder in your Documents, before you reinstall Home, that should get rid of anything left in the downloads folder.

But there might still be some references to Home and PocketGPSWorld in the PC registry that need sorting out..... That would be stage 3!

I deleted Tom Tom Home and then reinstalled it with the same results, the pgpsw folder/sub-folders appear.

Also noted the following as yesterday...
"My Documents" +Tom Tom (then below that it shows) -HOME (which has two sub-folders) "From Device" and "Sharing".

"Owners Documents" (further down the file list it shows) +Tom Tom the below it shows -HOME then two sub-folders "From Device" and "Sharing". In other words, it shows the exact same empty folders and sub-folders in both "My Documents" and "Owners Documents". These empty folders can be deleted from both files but will reappear when I click on "Home" taskbar icon.

Cheers...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A screen shot would really help us understand this. It's easily achieved and if you send to me I'll ensure nothing personal is left in view when I post the screen-shots here.

A picture paints a thousand words!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: