Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem accessing main memory on 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem accessing main memory on 920

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Problem accessing main memory on 920 Reply with quote

I got my 920 out just before a trip to gatwick (hadn't been used for months).... only to find that it no longer worked and just displayed a red x on startup! After much hard work I managed to get it working by copying my backup (v7.55) onto an SD card.

This works but isn't ideal as I no longer have access to the main memory which seems corrupt. Any tips as to how to reformat the main memory and restore my backup onto there? It shows as a drive letter in Windows Explorer but you cannot do anything with it as an error appears saying "please insert disk" when you click on it.

Thank god for backups!

Thanks in advance.
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody come across this red X thing before then? Is it really a case of ringing TomTom or do I just need to face the fact that I need to boot from the SD card every time?

Last edited by kissinuk on Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job you bumped the thread as I had missed this one, take the card out of the TomTom and connect it to the PC. Using Windows Explorer right click the drive letter associated with the device and select Format when this has completed copy your backup to the drive letter associated with the TomTom and it should work fine.

Once the backup is loaded and working use TomTom Home to update the device and re-install any newer maps you might have purchased - Mike
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow, although I have a feeling I may have tried it at the time and it again told me to "please insert disk". Will definitely give it another go though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not unknown for the internal memory to die but it is rare.

But if the format doesn't work then it is likely dead. You can continue to use it with data on SD card though and it will function quite normally.
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took out the sd card, connected the 920 and tried to format.... got a message saying "There is no disk in drive F" so it looks like the internal memory may have passed its sell by date.... typical.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be very grateful. I'm happy to continue using the SD card but it seems to take at least 3 times longer to start-up for some reason.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of spending quite a bit of money on the device to repair the Flash Memory (return to TomTom required) I would put up with running the device from an SD card. If it seems to be taking ages to boot up consider a faster card, something like a Peak SDHC 8GB class 6 will work very well in the 920.
I have experianced Flash memory failure in a One XL but still use the device booting from a standard SD card, other forum members have also reported similar problems with 720 and 520 devices - Whilst it is rare, it does seem to be a failure mode that is on the increase - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, late to this topic....

I have the same situation on my 720 - the internal memory died slowly over a week or two.

But you can run the system from the SD card without "having to boot from the card every time". Once the software and maps are on a reasonable quality card which is left in the device permanently, you can continue to use the Go as if nothing had happened, performance is identical.

(Remember, the older TomToms only had an SD card slot, no internal memory at all).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: