Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this normal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this normal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Is this normal Reply with quote

OK, out for a walk today; reset all on the 'trip log' page, pressed start and walked. On getting back I pressed stop. With the Satmap still on (plugged into the car charger) I drove to another location a dew miles away. I then pressed 'start' again and went walking. The track log then joined up where I had finished the first walk to the start of the second one. I was hoping to have a cumulative distance for the separate walks, but the distance between the two has been added in as well.

I'm running V1.3. Somehow i thought that in this version, when the trip log was stopped, the track log would be stopped also. Anyone any comments?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I would have expected it to work. Sad
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. However if I "stopped" it logging, then restarted it, I wouldn't have expected it to work like that, otherwise why bother stopping the tracking?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea is that you reset the log at the start of the first walk. at the end of walk 1 press stop and conver that trail to track but don't clear the log when it prompts.

Drive to new location, press start and the end press stop and you will have the cummulative info in the log.

I've not fully tested it but that's how i would envisage it works
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidor asked
Quote:
why bother stopping the tracking?

My assumption had been that "stop" stops it tracking after the "stop" has been pressed. So, if you stop for lunch or go off to investigate something off your track that is not logged. However as you have not reset everything then when you start up again it works as usual and notes the distance between points. If these points are miles apart then it would add miles to the trail length.
Satsync 1.525
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea is the unit will log details of one trip. If, during that trip you want a break (and stay put eg rest/pub stop) you can pause logging.
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar occurrence here, davidor.

The unit appears to continue logging the journey even when the STOP button is pressed on the Trip screen.

We ended up with an unwanted car journey being recorded as well. Smile

Possibly a bug?
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this too - press stop after a long walk but it'll track all the way home on the train
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you press start satmap records your route with the red breadcrumb trail, when you press stop it should stop recording the red breadcrumb trail but obviously continue to track your position.

When you press start again it should draw a straight line from the position you were at when you pressed stop and the position you are when you pressed start again.

If you do not want this straight line then before pressing start again then you surely want to record a new route, in which case you must convert the trail to track before pressing start again. or, if you don't want the previous route you should press reset.

I think where stop and start recording is useful is when you recording a route and you stop for a period of lunch at the pub for example where you don't want the data to be affected. Press stop have lunch press start again. Or, if you are on a walk and you want to check out where a path leads to but you don't want to record the track. Press stop investigate the path, then return to the point stopped recording and press start to pick up the correct trail recording.

Are you seeing anything different to what I describe here?

Or does anyone have any other good suggestions for using stop and start route recording?
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how it seems to work. I had hoped that if you did more than one walk in a day with car travel in between you could have a cumulative log, but it appears that is not possible.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this normal Reply with quote

I have experienced similar if I pressed reset before it has locked on and then started it again - it seem to really mess up times and max/average speeds as well from what I recall.
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
When you press start again it should draw a straight line from the position you were at when you pressed stop and the position you are when you pressed start again.

My Satmap doesn't draw a straight line. It records the actual road route that the car has taken.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: