Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken Commands
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken Commands
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you chaps missed this thread which I decided to quote from as I think it might offer the solution to the issue:

s3dbw wrote:
Finally found the problem.

The ASR file in core 8.351 has only 92 files, whereas the earlier cores have 93 files. The missing file in the later core is support_asr.dat. As soon as I copied that across, hey presto the icon in the main screen reappeared as did the icon in the preferences menu and more importantly I have now restored voice control.

The only question remaining is why was the file missing in the latest version if its so critical and strange that no one else has had similar problems if this file is what controls the screen icons

Well done to s3dbw for finding this one! - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Mike Alder can remember, I am sure it was introduced at some point - could have been 7.48x then as mine came with 7.221 out of the box.

For some reason Christmas time comes to mind and at the time we were trying to escalate the 1 min delay bug on RDS-TMC traffic delays.

That was fixed with Navcore 8, so it may have been in 7.481 as well.

Definitely gone now though, I think it was the 8.3xx releases that did it.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops - missed page 2 of the thread.

Is the support_asr.dat file the one with just a 1 in it and if that file is missing then you have no spoken commands at all and the icons are greyed out?

This will only cause you a problem if you wipe the TT completely and manually install a Navcore, otherwise that file will always be in your ASR folder as it doesn't get deleted by a Navcore update.

The problem we have here is that ASR works for navigate to.. but we no longer have the joy of shouting yes or no at the traffic reroute prompt - you have to touch the screen
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
This will only cause you a problem if you wipe the TT completely and manually install a Navcore, otherwise that file will always be in your ASR folder as it doesn't get deleted by a Navcore update.

Or if you are running the Navcore on an SD card with the device booting from the card, a software update pointed incorrectly at the memory card will do just this - I think TomTom should advise users via a message on the Home application to remove any Memory card fitted if using an x20/ x30 device when updating the Navcore.

We have seen plenty of posts in the past week or two on this forum and others where users have installed updates to the wrong location! the missing ASR is a minor issue compared to the other problems doing this can cause - Mike
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have the navcore on a card, all files on internal memory and the support_asr.dat file is present in the ASR folder which contains a total of 94 files.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a 930 today which works fine for the navigate to spoken address and navigate to spoken address (dialogue) options I can confirm that when I was asked to reroute around traffic there was no spoken command option - only touching yes or no. This is on 8.351.

Looks like it has been removed.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not there on the 940 which is odd as it asks questions with "yes" or "no" for many other things.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm afraid I'm with Mr T here... I cannot remember the x20/x30 models ever doing what you say....
I'm pretty sure I only ever had "Navigate to... Spoken Address" or "Spoken Address (Dialogue)" (Plus the similar option on the "City Centre" and "Crossing" pages)

Do you have an early backup which you could pop back on to prove us wrong?

I've been quiet on this topic for a few days because I've been experimenting with a number of different backups. (I knew that my bad housekeeping would come in handy one day!).

The definitive answer is that the facility I remember DID exist, and disappeared sometime between v8.010 and v8.300.

Now I've got to establish what the differences are between these two backups, to see if I can resurrect the facility.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been removed from the application as far as I am aware.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Using a 930 today which works fine for the navigate to spoken address and navigate to spoken address (dialogue) options I can confirm that when I was asked to reroute around traffic there was no spoken command option - only touching yes or no. This is on 8.351.

Looks like it has been removed.

Well, well... Smile

Having said above that I didn't think it had ever done it, I've been trying to drive right through London over the last two days of tube strikes (12 hours in the car to do a total of 65 miles!), so I've had LOTS of messages saying the traffic situation has changed.
I can definitely report I *did* get the spoken command option to shout "yes" at it, MOST of the time.
Strangely, sometimes it didn't appear, but it did about 85% of the time.

This was on a 940 running v8.351 software.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I try raising a support call with TT? Do you think I'll get a sensible answer? Wink
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

I can definitely report I *did* get the spoken command option to shout "yes" at it, MOST of the time.

Can you confirm how you know it wanted you to speak? Did it "bing-bong" then show the microphone and its level meter in the top right corner?

Do you have "beep when traffic situation on route changes" set?
Do you have "ask me if I want that route" set?

Do you get voice control for other yes/no questions such as avoiding toll routes, congestions charges and ferries?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough this morning m7 940 gave me the yes/no voice options for selecting a quicker route once driving.

When I first set the route it immediately came up with an on-screen option of saying a faster route is available do I want it, (before displaying the route details), so why did it not display the fastest route in the first place?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Can you confirm how you know it wanted you to speak? Did it "bing-bong" then show the microphone and its level meter in the top right corner?

Yes. Although I think the screen appeared without it at first and it then appeared whilst it was asking me. Can't be sure about that though.

Quote:
Do you have "beep when traffic situation on route changes" set?

No (in Traffic prefences)
Quote:
Do you have "ask me if I want that route" set?

Yes (in "Planning preferences").

I also have "Read aloud traffic warnings" set (in speech preferences), but I didn't have "Read aloud warnings" set (on the next page) for some reason.

Quote:
Do you get voice control for other yes/no questions such as avoiding toll routes, congestions charges and ferries?

Don't know... will look out for it from now on!
But I do have it set to ask me in Planning preferences.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd - since the release of 8.351 I have hit many many traffic holdups and still have not been given the option to shout like an idiot at the TT.

This is using a USB RDS-TMC on a 920 and a 930, both running 8.351.

It was useless anyway so I don't really miss it but it seems odd that sometimes it is there for others.........

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: