Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI-Warner help please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI-Warner help please?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jainpankaj wrote:
And how do you convert .csv to .asc. I guess you need to keep POI files into the POINWarner\pois folders.

You don't need to convert the files. Just select Other - ASC from the drop down menu, then select what format you want.

eg

Single
Consolidated
etc
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although 'Other-asc' is an option with the speed cameras, it doesn't seem to be available for the other PGPSW POIs, which I think is partly what is being referred to - there the options are only 'TT OV2' and 'Other - csv' - hence the need (I think) for conversion in these cases.
jainpankaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way I am importing the POI into Navman 2150 max
1. Download .csv file from Pocket GPS
2. Replace all commas in the description part to space
3. Remove double quotes around the description
4. Save the files from csv to asc
5. Connect Navgon 2150 Max to the PC through USB
6. Copy the asc and ist corresponding bmp to the POIWarnet\pois folder of the mounted flash drive for Navgon 2150 Max.
7. Unplug Navgon USB cable from the the laptop
8. Reboot Navgon, by pressing reset button
9. A dialog comes saying converting POI.

Once the dialog goes away I can get to POIWarner using the green/red button, I can see Overlays Available and POI Displayed counter to have non zero values. But the POI Monitored counter remains 0. I can check under POIWarner ---| POI Manager ---| POI Settings ---| Overlay Settings that all the overlays are checked. and POI Monitoring is restarted and the Navman is rebooted using reset button. But the POI Monitored counter remains 0.

What am I doing incorrectly? having spent €20.00 on POIWarner, I would like it to work.

Thanks for all the help and support so far.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
One other thing to try. Go to POI-Manager, press POI Settings, then Acoustic alert. At the top, it says POI: click the +/- box and then select all POI's to be monitored. Hit okay again and soft reset. Also go to edit (I think) go to options and make sure the "show on map and warn" option is selected.
See if that makes a difference. I have 180 POI-Handler overlays, POI monitored 43,535 and POI displaye the same. I have removed all PGPSW speed cameras and POI's for a while as I got no warnings tonight.
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jainpankaj, also under POI Manager, select POI Management. Have a look at a POI category or two to make sure you have individual POIs and they look sensible (eg the description). Then with Monitoring On click on the green square to get the main menu up on the screen - 'Search In Radius', 'All' for a POI or two and check you have a list there with distances given. All seems ok?

Doug, can you say what download/conversion/installation sequence you followed for PGPSW? I'm sorry you're still having problems - I get fed up sometimes with the continual warnings!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
I really thought all was well last night until I took a run to Tesco past a well established Gatso and got no warning, no sound at all even though I have got both those set up properly. I checked all the settings for the cameras and they seemed fine.
I think, if I remember, I downloaded the Navman files, unzipped and then converted to Generic asc files using POI-Edit. I then copied them into the POI-Warner\POI folder. I did no adjustment of the file titles. Thinking about it, why did I use the Navman, with conversion, when I could have used the asc-Other files? Is that my problem, I wonder?
The sound files (AMN GPS 4) files - I put them in the POI-Warner folder. I don't think any conversion is necessary. Should they be in the POI folder as well as I have heard, apart from the German Attention one, no sounds from it at all? I patiently set up all the warnings the night before and felt quite disappointed when nothing sounded.
Last night, I went to POI-Handler and downloaded lots of POI's, including their speed camera files, and are going to try them out as soon as I can get to my local camera.
It may just be me but the unit I love, I just hate this whole POI-Warner overlay thing. I came from TomTom through Garmin which seemed so easy in comparison. I realise that Navigon want you to buy POI-Warner's program and camera files etc but they really don't make it easy for the inexperienced user. And I thought, after 20 years, I was pretty computer literate!! I now doubt this.
Regards
Doug
Smile

Last edited by dougproctor on Thu May 28, 2009 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
jainpankaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys

I have downloaded only one overlay that appears correctly on POI Management. The descriptions are all correct. They also apperas correctly under Search in Radius.

However under POI Manager --| POI Settings --| Acoustic Alert, the combo box is empty. Why?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Really stupid question but have you clicked the +/- box next to the poi box? What do you mean by the combo box? What version of POI-Warner are you using?
Doug
jainpankaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Hi. Really stupid question but have you clicked the +/- box next to the poi box? What do you mean by the combo box? What version of POI-Warner are you using?
Doug

This was a million dollor question. I can never image a user interface like that.

Yes the combo box was empty, until I pressed the +/- button on the acoustic setings dialog, which took me to a new dialog where I selected the overlay category pressed okay. I was back on the acoustic settings dialog. Now the combo box was filled with overlay categories. Pressed okay and guess what I now have Monitored POI's counter diaplaying a non zero values.

Thank you so much for the help.

I will now play around with the acoustic settings to understand how is it used. Can some some tell me how to setup the acoustic settings for an overlay so that I get some visual but no sound.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too good on the sound settings!! Perhaps set up to display and warn but slide the volume bar on the same page to zero. I think that just controls the POI sound volume, not the directions.
Pleased you are getting somewhere at last. It took me ages and guidance from two good guys on here before I understood it. The manual is not the best to be honest.
It is a good unit and well worth the money. Not as easy as Tomtom/Garmin to set up though.
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sound wanted - not positive but in POI-Settings//Acoustic Warning under the General tab in Warning Radius one of the options is 'never' - is it too much to expect POI-Warner to actually mean this Wink ? Also though, there is an Acoustic Alert check box under First & Last Warnings which gives a series of beeps (if checked) or doesn't (if cleared). So you probably need to do both to get peace and quiet.

warnings - Doug - Do you mean that you have associated the relevant voice warning files specifically to each of the Gatso30/Specs50 .... files under First/Last/SpeedLimit Warnings so that you can see the relevant voice file title in the box which is underneath "Voice Warning (c) Navigon " (which is next to the 2nd circle), and that you have checked the circle next to that box? If you have, then do you hear the warning when you press 'Play Audio'? If you're missing any of this there may still be something wrong with the set up.

If all this works then try driving towards the Gatso so that you can get a 'Search in Radius' list of the camera POIs within 5 miles and see if the camera appears to be listed. If it doesn't, check the camera locations on PGPSW's map - you never know, you could be sitting on a Life Membership. goldmine! Very Happy [btw did Tesco come up, or haven't you got them as POIs from PGPSW?)

Download format - you may have used Navman because I said I did - I hadn't noticed the generic ones. However the Navman ones ARE asc and shouldn't have needed converting, so you may have a funny here.

Sound Files - do go in the main POI-Warner folder, and do not need to go in the POI folders (they get ignored in there anyway as I found when I did that originally. Embarassed ). Incidentally, very confusingly POI-Wrner from navigating.de has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Navigon or their identically named function. That's why there is the rather clumsy side display instead of it appearing on the map itself - Navigon didn't/wouldn't give navigating.de the info they needed to interface to the map display. I agree with the pain aspoects of the operation and the manuals though.

Hope I've covered the questions!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Yes, I associated all the first, last and speed camera files with a warning. I think they did play but would need to check that out. I have removed all the PGPSW files at the moment to give the others a go. We'll then remove the POI-Warner ones and replace with the ones from here.
I think I did copy you and download the Navman ones but have since replaced them with the Other - asc ones. I did download lots of the ordinary POI's from here and those I had to convert.
Will give the POI-Handler ones a go first and then try the others. May be a warning wav file or two on there to see if they go. Let you know.
Thanks
Doug
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not really been following this thread too closly, however I'm surprised that people are having to convert files.

I download the Other - ASC [ UK - Consolidated by type (Gatso,Mobile,etc)]
version and simply copy the ASC files over onto the SD card of the device within the POIs folder and once restarted the ASC files are automatically converted and imported.
Even when updating I simply copy the new files and POIwarner automatically update the content (I don't rename any files).
I'm certain that I'm also using the BMP files which come in the PGPSW download, as for the alerts I used the online text to speech generator to create WAV files of what I wanted the alerts to say.
The only thing I had to do with the WAV files was to boost the audio level.

If anyone want a copy of the BMP icons / WAV files I have, please PM me and I'll send them.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some could post me an idiot proof, step-by-step guide about how to download and get to work the camera and custom POI files from here I will glady pay them the £20 that MN7 cost me. At the moment it is driving me (like many others) nuts !
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwentvillan wrote:
If some could post me an idiot proof, step-by-step guide about how to download and get to work the camera and custom POI files from here I will glady pay them the £20 that MN7 cost me. At the moment it is driving me (like many others) nuts !

If you click my sig at the bottom of this post it will take you to my old web site. Now it is several years old, and for an earlier version of POI-Warner, but it may help.

Note the camera files can be downloaded from PGPSW these days in the correct .asc format, so don't need to be converted. Any other poi's that may need to be converted can still be done the same way as mentioned on my web site using PoiEdit which is a free download. Link on the web site, Denote software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: