Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Moans about Lifetime Subscriptions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Moans about Lifetime Subscriptions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a suggestion to offering incentives to people who report cameras

If you report a certain number of cameras through a years subscription your next years subscription is free for that year as a thank you for supporting the database

Or if you prepay 2 years subscription the 3rd year is free !

I do not know how easy this would be to implement or if it is even practical
I know that members who are lifetime members continue to report cameras as I also do !! but it would maybe help with the verification process as the more members that report cameras the team would be able to confirm the location more easily
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a company the pre pay idea will look attractive. But the buy 2 get one free has the potential to loose 33% of the company's subscription income.

Few can stand that.

IMHO better to build on the community spirit.
Multi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

First, I am happy to lay my cards on the table and state that I did submit a camera once but didn't get a lifetime membership. Didn't bother me and it still doesn't. Cool

I actually don't submit cameras as I believe that there is a disproportionate number of first reports from (already) lifetime members. This could be because they do a lot of miles but I personally suspect (rightly or wrongly), that this because they have inside information about new sites. As this is something a non-lifetime member has little chance of beating it lays the process open to abuse.... installers can sell the information. Please note that I have NO evidence of this what-so-ever but it is something that could easily happen and yet be extremely difficult to prove. Twisted Evil

I do have an idea though that could help reduce the potential loophole and at the same time INCREASE the number of paying members....

Why not give the lifetime membership to the first non-lifetime SUBSCRIBING member to submit a camera? In otherwords, if a lifetime member submits a camera first then that does not automatically prevent a paying subsriber from gaining free membership. This means that people already paying for the service are given a bonus chance over non-paying members. It also means that any potential sale of prior information is more problematic for both the seller and the buyer.

Feel free to flame if you wish (in my bunker with lid shut) Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reply the same as I replied to your friends email recently...:

Have you written to the Olympic committee to suggest that only athletes/teams who have not already won a gold medal can then win further gold medals? It seems unfair that some athletes can come back with 5 or 6 gold medals just because they were faster...

MaFt
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: coming back... Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just taken delivery of a TomTom XL IQ after a few years without a SatNav. I did make a number of submissions back in May 2004 (i.e. before the subscription system) for various POI categories including 5 new GATSOs. I seem to remember from the initial discussions about a move to a subscription model that I would be entitled to a lifetime membership but can't find current information about that.
Thanks for any help,
Matt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: coming back... Reply with quote

matt_e wrote:
Hi,
I have just taken delivery of a TomTom XL IQ after a few years without a SatNav. I did make a number of submissions back in May 2004 (i.e. before the subscription system) for various POI categories including 5 new GATSOs. I seem to remember from the initial discussions about a move to a subscription model that I would be entitled to a lifetime membership but can't find current information about that.
Thanks for any help,
Matt

can you email us at subscriptions AT pocketgpsworld.com (replace AT with @) and we can look into it for you

MaFt
rayle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi wrote:
Hi there.

I actually don't submit cameras as I believe that there is a disproportionate number of first reports from (already) lifetime members. This could be because they do a lot of miles but I personally suspect (rightly or wrongly), that this because they have inside information about new sites. As this is something a non-lifetime member has little chance of beating it lays the process open to abuse.... installers can sell the information. Please note that I have NO evidence of this what-so-ever but it is something that could easily happen and yet be extremely difficult to prove. Twisted Evil

As I have stated in another post, I also do not drive the number of miles as I used to, but I was lucky and found a first submission, having duly submitted it I was given a lifer.
There is not any inside information, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, that is all it takes.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi wrote:
I actually don't submit cameras as I believe that there is a disproportionate number of first reports from (already) lifetime members. This could be because they do a lot of miles but I personally suspect (rightly or wrongly), that this because they have inside information about new sites.

Your suspicions are misplaced I can assure you. If it was that simple we'd go direct to the 'insiders'!

if you don't bother submitting then you have only yourself to blame. It's a lottery but if you don't enter you can't win!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:

Why do we need another incentive? The Lifetime Offer is already the most generous offer available anywhere!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayle wrote:
There is not any inside information, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, that is all it takes.

Exactly, I get ever more angered by the few who feel hard done by. This is an offer open to ALL but there is no right to a lifetime subscription and it is earnt by contributing.

Almost without fail it is those who see this as something to secure with the least possible work that moan, the fact that existing lifers continue to contribute proves that it is those that bother to report and do so regularly that stand the best chance of achieving lifer status and that is exactly as we would wish it.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Multi,

Firstly, Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Multi wrote:

That's an interesting idea about lifetime members having information about new sites. Whilst a very few people might "be in the know" I would suspect that that number would literally be a handful and an insignificant percentage of lifetime members and even less so of the subscribers.

As a moderator/verifier I need an up-to-date version of the database so I regularly download the "Speed Zone Complete" database but I don't include the pMobiles as I use the verifier files instead (they combine all of the pMobiles into one category). I always check to see what the changes in file sizes are for each of the categories and nowadays the Fixed cameras are relatively static which makes me think that there are very few changes there except for the occasional new or damaged camera. The SPECs change mainly for roadworks. The major difference appear to be the mobile sites. I believe that it is luck that you happen to be driving a stretch of road that you know well and you might suddenly see a mobile site because you were on the road at a different time of day.

I know a lot of people submit camera details, and please continue to do so as it makes the database better - which is the ultimate reason and secondly you just need to be lucky once and you will get that lifetime membership.

I'm sure that you already do this, but one thing that may or may not help is to ensure that you record the co-ordinates as accurately as possible and give all the necessary information (type, direction, speed, etc) and the best trick is to give as much accurate comments as possible especially if you are reporting a mobile site. Please bear in mind that a verifier will eventually get to your site and will unlikely see the mobile camera van so they will rely on your comments.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi wrote:
I actually don't submit cameras as I believe that there is a disproportionate number of first reports from (already) lifetime members.

I think possibly if you check the figures, you will find that the number of non lifers and non subscribed (thus missed out on a lifetime) compared with contributions from the 'already lifers' is actually quite similar. OK so the lifers have won by a slim margin for the last couple of issues, but it is not that disproportinate.

Regardless of your beliefs about this, please keep submitting to make our database even better and perhaps you might also 'get lucky', and also, may I add, welcome to the forums. Welcome
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: coming back... Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
matt_e wrote:
I seem to remember from the initial discussions about a move to a subscription model that I would be entitled to a lifetime membership

can you email us at subscriptions AT pocketgpsworld.com (replace AT with @) and we can look into it for you

MaFt

OK. WIll do, Thanks a lot MaFt.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
john877 wrote:

Why do we need another incentive? The Lifetime Offer is already the most generous offer available anywhere!

Darren my post was not intended as a criticism of the team in anyway and agree it is a very generous offer .

It was just an idea if you wanted to freshen things up a little !!but I am afraid you will always get people posting on here ""its not fair" no matter what the team do !!its just a fact of life
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John, my reply wasn't meant to suggest I took that as a criticism, merely that I can't see the justification for an incentive over and above the Lifetime Offer.

If anything we are too generous already given the numbers who qualify Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: