Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required Reply with quote

Those of you who read the Newsletter will have seen my piece about GrahamW and his complaints about the Database.

Amongst a dozen emails I received this morning in praise I have received another complaint:
Quote:
Hi, I have just been reading the latest news letter and you highlight the problems user Graham has been having. I am a Garmin (255) user and I have disabled the internal database. I am experiencing exactly the same problems with speed cameras declared that are not there (and have not been there for a long time, or maybe never), wrong speed limits, wrong direction etc. Also the reliability of the warnings is doubtful too with sometimes only a single 'bong' and then nothing.
I am disappointed with the performance and was thinking of going back to the Garmin database which 'appears' to be more reliable and reasonably comprehensive.

Now I'm certain that our data is very much better than this but I want to find out why some Garmin users are having such a poor experience.

Not having a Garmin to hand, is there any possibility that it could still use the Garmin Demo data even if unticked? Could it be some issue with install where the wrong folder is being selected in POILoader? Or any other suggestions as to why some users are having such a poor experience?

Any comments, advice appreciated. we value all our users and want you all to get the most from the data.
gzkbbx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: First Months experienceof Garmin 765t Reply with quote

Having tried the Garmin camera database for a month I have switched to your database for the following reasons.

1. Many of the mobile cameras were no longer being used in the locations.

2. Complete lock up of the system on the M1 Derbyshire average speed system

My impressions of your own system are as follows.

With the 24X24 symbols it it OK the smaller symbols are just too small.

The loss of the directionality on a local Truvelo (a6 Luton) is probablu not a problem as the frequency of the direction change was never in line with the Garmin data.

The addition of you voice alerts improves the whole thing.

Now the problems:-

Some cameras are out of position.

This may be a Navteq related issue as when I put my own address in the garmin it actually comes up with two locations for my address one is where my house is, the other is the location of a house which is an interchange of the last two digits of my house number and located in a road several hundred yards away. (May be a fault in the Post Code algorithm)

An example camera is the regular Mobile camera on the Silsoe Bypass which is always 100metres south from where the entrance to Wrest park crosses the bypass. It is never parked on the bridge

The comments about the wrong speed limits made by others I think is more likely a Navteq issue.

Eg the change to 30mph from 40mph on Luton Bramingham lane not yet implemented (introduced nearly six months ago)

The changes around Milton Keynes to 40MPH on the 'ring road' near the new bus interchange (introduced four months ago).

No Sat Nav is ever going to be perfect and I wish that instead of a list of avoidances Garmin would use a list of Preferred roads, but it is livable with.

Hope soon you add a vehicle size height/width/weight POI.

This would preclude people panicing when the find that caravans are banned from the A170 Sutton Bank (Thirsk to Helmsley Road) or the routing of vehicles through the gap between two Hotels in Helmsley which is only 8 feet wide instead of following the main road.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: First Months experienceof Garmin 765t Reply with quote

gzkbbx wrote:
An example camera is the regular Mobile camera on the Silsoe Bypass which is always 100metres south from where the entrance to Wrest park crosses the bypass. It is never parked on the bridge

Can you help me locate that camera?
Quote:
The comments about the wrong speed limits made by others I think is more likely a Navteq issue.

I suspect as much
Quote:
Hope soon you add a vehicle size height/width/weight POI.

I'll chase this, we discussed it but I'm not sure where we are at with it.
marcdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Now I'm certain that our data is very much better than this but I want to find out why some Garmin users are having such a poor experience.

Not having a Garmin to hand, is there any possibility that it could still use the Garmin Demo data even if unticked? Could it be some issue with install where the wrong folder is being selected in POILoader? Or any other suggestions as to why some users are having such a poor experience?

Any comments, advice appreciated. we value all our users and want you all to get the most from the data.

Having recently migrated to a Garmin 255 specifically for the PGPSW database from a Navman s80 due to the Navmans POI limitation. I cant really say I've found any problems with it so far, using ASH's Camera Utility is a big help and makes things alot simpler than not using it.

Adding Speed Cams to the Navman was more long winded, especially if you want to use custom Icons and sound alerts.

In action accuracy of the DB seems fine, it sits next to a Roadpilot Microgo and the only real variance is in mobile locations (a weak point on the Roadpilot as they have only just added them to their db), so generally it's either one or the other warning of a mobile cam, rather than both, which is a little worrying! Smile

The only issues I've encountered were related to working out alert times to use with ASH's speedcam utility and whether or not the setting on the device for proximity alerts was set to once or continuous. Whilst I was fine tuning I did one upload where I seemed not to get an overspeed warning and red sign on the unit, but that seems fine now (there is only one cam location on my commute, which is actually a non existent mobile location, so fine tuning took a few days).

Overall I think the CAM db works fine, data quality seems to be good, generally better than other products I've used.

The best thing for me, would be the db on a device like the microgo rather than having to have the satnav installed all the time as the function of the microgo is pretty much perfect, it's the mobile data quality that lets it down.

Marc.
boatdeluv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Those of you who read the Newsletter will have seen my piece about GrahamW and his complaints about the Database.

Amongst a dozen emails I received this morning in praise I have received another complaint:
Quote:
Hi, I have just been reading the latest news letter and you highlight the problems user Graham has been having. I am a Garmin (255) user and I have disabled the internal database. I am experiencing exactly the same problems with speed cameras declared that are not there (and have not been there for a long time, or maybe never), wrong speed limits, wrong direction etc. Also the reliability of the warnings is doubtful too with sometimes only a single 'bong' and then nothing.
I am disappointed with the performance and was thinking of going back to the Garmin database which 'appears' to be more reliable and reasonably comprehensive.

I too have this unit. I too use the A38 Plymouth to Exeter road as i am a field service engineer. I use the latest database from here. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I remember when the specs were in place along the A38 and I admit it did take a while for them to be removed from the database but they are not there on my unit.

Chris
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required Reply with quote

Quote:
Also the reliability of the warnings is doubtful too with sometimes only a single 'bong' and then nothing.

I think this is what you get on the Garmin 255 if you are below the limit by a couple of mph or more. You can, however, tick the box for continuous tone, rather than single tone. (NB this problem will probably be a Garmin issue, not a PGPSW database matter).

Quote:
I did one upload where I seemed not to get an overspeed warning and red sign on the unit.

My Garmin 255 often gives me only the blue banner rather than the red one I deserve. But I'm not bothered as it's the repeated Bong Bongs that alert me, not the little banner on the screen.

Dales.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of i3's. I only have PGPSW safety cams on them. Both work fine and give single or multi bongs if over speed. I get the red bar across the top of the screen. Been using these since 2005 and have always worked okay. Laughing

Don't use much these days, but have run one along side my TT over the last few days and no difference with the warnings. I only did this because I saw Darren's post on the subject and wanted to check.

Not sure what else to say other than working fine on the i3.
dercof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read today’s Newsletter and I have also had a problem with my trusty Garmin i3 and missing cameras. Cameras which were previously on my screen no longer flash up a warning and some warnings are delayed by about 100 metres. How many cameras are there currently in the database? This happened after a download about 2 weeks ago.

I have not as yet downloaded any changes announced in today’s newsletter. Most of my journeys are around North London and the M4 to Windsor.

Any ideas?

Derek
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dercof - Hi and welcome.

Can you be more specific about which cameras and what types of camera they are? Where are these cameras located that are missing from the database? It's difficult to comment unless we can look at specific examples.

Also what firmware and map are you using on the i3?
dercof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only the Garmin UK maps on my i3.

I did not record all the sites of the "missing" speed alert cameras, but there was a missing camera on the Maidenhead Road , leaving Windsor in the direction of Maidenhead A305 at Dedworth and similarly on Hendon Way A41 facing North, just before the Brent Cross Flyover. I doubt if these are defunct !
As I have said - this is a new problem as I have had no problems over the past 2-3 years. Perhaps I should clear the database and start from scratch?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A305 or A308?

I can see 2 Gatsos on the A308 in the approximate position you describe near Dedworth.

Again there are 2 Gatsos on the database before the Brent Cross Flyover too.

I would try downloading the latest database and trying again.

Note you need to be over the speed limit to trigger the alerts on the i3 so if you are under the speed limit you'll get no alerts.
dercof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Miadenhead Road there are 2 gatsos very near each other but on opposite sides of the road. Neither showed up on my Garmin. On Hendon way- again there are 2 near the Brent Cross Flyover but on opposite sides of the road, south of the the flyover. I will download again whenI can find the time and report back!
WARNES66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Garmin UPDATE(Newsletter) Reply with quote

Hi I have recently read the latest Newsletter reference my complaint. I am unsure as to how I disable the pre-installed Garmin data as you suggest. I have a Nivi 610T. Hope you can help. I wrongly assumed that I just downloaded on installed onto device, I was unaware I had to do anything else as this was my first download..
Many Thanks G.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

To disable the Garmin Cyclops Database...

Settings, Proximity Points, Untick "Garmin Cyclops Safety Cameras"

(Or similar)

Leave "Custom POIs" ticked
SpencerJames1972
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Wrong speed indications Reply with quote

Whilst I generally find pocket gps miles better than any other system thanks to all the member and the site for keeping on top of things (as best as possible) given the speed the goverment put them up!

It is slightly frustrating when you are told the speed limit is 33 mph in the average 40mph zone during the road works on the M25 juntion 26 - 28.

In fact all the speeds seem to have gone goofy since I last downloaded 6 weeks ago.

Will down load again this weekend and let you know if the issue has been fixed.

The annoying thing, I do 500 miles per week and have only ever found 1 camera not in the system (on the A1 Northbound), but one of you lucky people must have beat me to it! Happy Driving

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: