Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin routing vs Tomtom routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin routing vs Tomtom routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Garmin routing vs Tomtom routing Reply with quote

I'm considering changing to a Garmin after using Tomtom software for years (the first was navigator 3, I currently have a 720).

How does garmin routes compare with TT's? I generally find TT routes ok with maybe a slight tendency to use motorways rather than cut across country.

Also, how is the Garmin travel feature and 'find alternative route' features?

Thanks
Lore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 720, and have just (2 days ago) purchased a Nuvi 765t.

On the routing side, there's no Mapshare on the Garmin. On paper I didn't think this was a big deal, but in 2 journeys with the 765, it's already directed me down two dead ends. On the Tomtom I could edit these streets - can't do it on the Nuvi.

Re-routing, avoidances - Tomtom can reroute on a granular basis (for example, crossing into North London I can choose to avoid the Blackwall tunnel A102 on the Tomtom and it will reroute), the Nuvi apparently can't - there's a cryptic "detour" button that seems to take the next available turn, with no user control.

I had a Nuvi 360 before the Tomtom, and in many ways I consider Garmins to be more polished navigators. However, based on current performance I may reluctantly have to return the 765.
big_lads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom 920T recently died and looking at what I needed from a PND and what was available, I bough a Garmin 255WT as it had by far the best fit of features/price for me.

Currently I travel quite extensively from near the M25/M1 up to various places in Lincolnshire.

I have to say that the TomTom routes better (avoiding P'boro) than the Garmin and that the TomTom Traffic functionality is better. The Garmin also seems to provide crazily optimistic arrival times whereas the TomTom was always a little pessimistic, but not by too much.

Having said that, I prefer the 'look & feel' of the Garmin device, I just wish it would route a bit better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: