Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 670 map update help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

670 map update help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolmbunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: 670 map update help please Reply with quote

I have a 670. Purchased lifetime update of maps from Garmin. Loaded my European update map, no problems, then loaded the American update - mistake!

According to the device the only map installed is the CN North America NT 2010.1 and certainly no detailed map is displayed for Europe.

According to MapSource the only maps installed on my PC are City Navigator Europe 2008 and City Navigator Europe NT 2010.1. I've tried using the upgrade software provided by Garmin, but it reports "an upgrade path was not found for your currently loaded map" which probably suggests the old (2008) map was wiped.

Would appreciate suggestions on how to get my Europe map back onto the device.

Thanks in advance
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 670 map update help please Reply with quote

Presumably, both update procedures assumed that their map should be called GMAPPROM.IMG and one overwrote the other Question

But since your Mapsource installation thinks it has a copy of the European map installed (I assume it's unlocked?) - you could use it to build & transfer a copy back to the Nüvi. You'll have to manually select all the regions you want and you'll end up with a supplementary map (ie in GMAPSUPP.IMG). You can then (probably) rename it to its 'proper' filename of GMAPPROM1.IMG. (Actually, I'm not sure which map should have which file name, or indeed, if it makes the slightest difference).
malcolmbunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I pressed the 'submit' button last night it occurred to me that I could use Mapsource to reload my europe 2008 map, then use the unlocked upgrade.

I used mapsource and loaded the 2008 europe map then spent hours trying to get my 670 to start. It states, 'loading maps', a green line appears across the screen and as a second one went across the screen, it would shut down!

Have at last got it talking to my PC, but Map Update still states that 'an upgrade path was not found'.

Now cannot get my 670 to boot as it 'crashes' as it loads maps. Can I send it back to Garmin for them to rectify?

Is there a way to 'reset' the machine?

Will try the .img file if i can get the 670 to boot.

thanks for help
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malcolmbunn wrote:
I used mapsource and loaded the 2008 europe map

Actually, I was suggesting that you use Mapsource to load the 2010 maps directly. However, the map file you end up with, by doing this, is not identical to the one you would download (It should be identical in functionality, but not necessarily in contents.)
and he wrote:
Now cannot get my 670 to boot as it 'crashes' as it loads maps. Can I send it back to Garmin for them to rectify?
Is there a way to 'reset' the machine?

Deleting GMAPSUPP.IMG (which is what Mapsource created), should return you back to where you were.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: