Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map guarantee vs Mapshare?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map guarantee vs Mapshare?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Latest Map guarantee vs Mapshare? Reply with quote

Apologies if this had been asked before, but if I join Mapshare and download the latest updates, will I invalidate my latest map guarantee offer?

Although I purchased a new ONE IQ Routes Edition a couple of weeks ago I only activated, it & searched for a satellite connection for the first time this morning... after having backed everything up first of course... and I would like to wait another 28 days or so in the hope that there is a European map update before then.

However I would quite like to join Mapshare in the meantime... so is it OK to do this please, as I don't want to loose the chance of a free map update!

I also own an earlier model, but I opened a new account with a different email address for my new ONE before connecting to HOME.

Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapShare and LMG are totally separate and using one doesn't affect the other.

If you do get another map through the LMG you'll have to start downloading the MapShare updates again from scratch for that map.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a prompt reply Paul... I guessed that might be the case but I just wanted to be 100% sure, and I knew that this would be the best place to ask!

I expected to be asked to select the 'Trust Level' I required before it downloaded and installed the Mapshare updates... which it didn't, so I was quite pleased to see, when I checked under 'Tools', that the default setting is 'Severe'... which is probably the one I would have chosen myself anyway! Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember LMG is for 30 days. Provided the process works properly, you'll get the LMG up to 30 days from when you first turned it on this morning. However, if the process goes wrong and you have to get onto TomTom to obtain your LMG, they'll demand proof of purchase, namely a copy of your receipt, in which event they'll apply the LMG up to 30 days from that purchase date a couple of weeks ago.

We are all betting on a new map release very soon now.

You didn't say which map version you have already - the current latest map is v825.

Just to cheer you up, the "Trust Level" which some of us choose for MapShare is higher than "Severe", namely "Don't download a single one, ever!" Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download them all, and to hell with it! Laughing

My reasoning is there are more daft mapping errors in the base maps (which MIGHT get corrected by mapshare) then there are people who would submit daft NEW corrections. Smile
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Remember LMG is for 30 days. Provided the process works properly, you'll get the LMG up to 30 days from when you first turned it on this morning. However, if the process goes wrong and you have to get onto TomTom to obtain your LMG, they'll demand proof of purchase, namely a copy of your receipt, in which event they'll apply the LMG up to 30 days from that purchase date a couple of weeks ago.

We are all betting on a new map release very soon now.

You didn't say which map version you have already - the current latest map is v825.

Thanks Dennis... is the any way I can check at this stage whether or not the process will work properly, or not?

Oh... and my maps are v 825.2157 which looks as if it might be the latest release... at the moment, anyway! Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right v825 ARE the latest release, so you won't be missing anything yet by not using the LMG.
New maps are just around the corner, but no-one outside TomTom knows exactly when they will be released.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't check in advance whether it will work properly - you'll only know it works properly or otherwise when there is a new map available and it offers it to you or doesn't!

One thing - No, TWO things.

1. You'll see on this site as soon as a new map becomes available.

2. It has been a regular "issue" that LMG doesn't work properly when a new map is first released - something about TT not being able to organise themselves to get the map into the LMG system immediately.

What seems to occur with shameful consistency is a new map is released and anybody who wants to buy it can do so immediately. Next, they eventually link it to the system which handles those of us who have paid an annual subscription to get updated maps. Third, they eventually release it into the LMG system. Despite the wonderful new world of the instant internet, these developments usually take days, not hours.

So it's odds on that the LMG system will NOT offer you a new map as soon as you pick up here that one is "now" available - it'll say your map is the latest available and there is no newer map.

Then you have to do the tightrope act of judging when it is definitely not working for you so that you need to contact TomTom. So just hang in there until a new map is announced, then see how it goes from then.

Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the dip with my first TT last week - a Refurb 720 from totalpda - all good so far - done the update of Navcore - now thinking about the maps = version installed in 7.115 (i think)......will be going to France couple of weeks time - so will exercise the LMG before then.....but hoping newer maps come out then!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieman1972, you can use LMG to check the map situation without downloading one as often as you like within the time limit. It might be worth a look as I read recently on the forum that the refurbs from totalpda no longer have LMG. I don't know if that's right or not though.
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gone into Home - clicked on Tools - Use Latest Map Guarantee

It says there is a later map available.......BUT considering I'm on Western Europe 715.1703.1703 I'm not suprised!!!! I have not downloaded it.

So all looks good - will keep my eyes open on here waiting for the new release - just need to keep an eye on the date.....
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Pieman1972, you can use LMG to check the map situation without downloading one as often as you like within the time limit. It might be worth a look as I read recently on the forum that the refurbs from totalpda no longer have LMG. I don't know if that's right or not though.

I bought a 720 refurb from Total PDA a few days ago and it DID have LMG. I upgraded the application (twice) until I had Navcore 8.350, then it offered me Western Europe maps 825 when I clicked on LMG

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Calomax wrote:

I bought a 720 refurb from Total PDA a few days ago and it DID have LMG. I upgraded the application (twice) until I had Navcore 8.350, then it offered me Western Europe maps 825 when I clicked on LMG

Robin

If you accepted that map 825, then you've used up your LMG, which, TBH would have been better held back for the next (we believe VERY imminent) map. It's OK (indeed obligatory) to upgrade the application and as many times as necessary to reach the current latest application version (today, 8.350). But a mistake to then accept a new map - when the new map is offered, click the link for More Details and if it shows map version 825, don't accept it (just click back and get out). We're all very sure a new map will come out very soon now (no inside knowledge, just it's due now in the quarterly sequence), so it would be a pity to use up the LMG just a few days before the next new map.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another view on this would be to consider yourself lucky the LMG worked on the device at all, TomTom seem to have changed their minds about offering the LMG with UK refurbished devices and as such Total PDA have removed this information from their adverts as a direct result - Mike
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they remove the LMG?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: