Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Legal Notice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal Notice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Legal Notice Reply with quote

After a recent map update, every time I start up my 740 unit I keep getting the legal disclaimer notice. Any idea how to stop this as it gets annoying having to accept it all the time.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get that annoying screen every time the device boots up following a reset or connection to a PC, if its doing this for all power ups then go to Change Preferences/ Safety Preferences and deselect "Safety Reminders" - Mike
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately they were already deselected and it still comes up.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it crashing and rebooting itself? It will display the legal notice on any reboot. Also if you hold the on button down too long you can force a reboot, and you'll get the legalise.

Mine goes through a start, immediately fail, reboot at least once in every 20 starts. Seems to be another TT bonus feature we get in lieu of those listed by TT Mktg on the box.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,

Its not crashing, I just get the "its your responsibility.... " crap after the logo switch on screen. Once I accept it boots up fine
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant is: "Is it crashing as part of its wake up start?"

TT doesn't shut down when you press the "On/Off" button, it's goes into sleep mode. When you press it again is "wakes up".

When it wakes up there is no legal screen. When it boots up there is.

So if you get a legal screen each time, I postulate that your TT is crashing/failing/whatever when it attempts to wake up, and does a self-induced reboot, thus displaying the legal screen.

IOW, if you want to stop the legal screen on EVERY wake up, then you may need to address why it is failing to wake up without a full reboot.

When mine does it, which fortunately isn't every time, it starts to "wake up" but well past the normal wake time with nothing happening, before it goes into a reboot, sorts out which to boot from (iff I have the SD card in), and then displays the legal screen.

Hopefully mine will not get to every restart, but until it does I have no real way to even try to debug it, it is just too infrequent to ever be able to repeat it. And Sod's Law ensures that to-date it has only ever happened with others in the car demanding to get going, with-or-without-Kate ;-)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine only does it after it been connected to Home.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, I see what you are getting at re the "crashing", I will also have a look and see if it is related to when it is connected to Home and get back to you.

Cheers
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like PaulB, its linked to TomTom Home!, only happens on the first boot after being connected to Home. Interestingly I contacted TomTom about the problem and they recommend running the clear flash tool to fix it. Not so sure about this?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A connection to Home or The PC using Windows Explorer or resetting the device with a paperclip/ pressing on/off button as applicable will all cause this screen to appear.
Running clear flash will only waste your time, it won't fix something that is there by design - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A connection to Home or The PC using Windows Explorer or resetting the device with a paperclip/ pressing on/off button as applicable will all cause this screen to appear.
Running clear flash will only waste your time, it won't fix something that is there by design - Mike

Didn't someone say something like this at 9:58 am??? Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

layingback wrote:
Seems to be another TT bonus feature we get in lieu of those listed by TT Mktg on the box.

Mine does it every day and at least twice a day on weekdays. On the occasions when I leave it in the van whilst I deliver (close enough to keep an eye on the van against anybody coming along to nick it) and power off ignition turns it off, I often come back to find it has switched itself on again and the legal screen is sitting there leering at me yet again. It is such a regular bonus feature that I don't even think about it these days until somebody else mentions it, whereupon I remember and say "Yeah, bluddy thing!!"

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: