Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go Classic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freestyleal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go Classic Reply with quote

I have been using my Tom Tom Go classic in my kit car, which is completely open.

The other day I got stuck in a heavy downpour and following this the sound stopped working.

After fiddling with it, stupid I know, I pressed the reset whilst holding the power button.

It now stays on the main screen and when I put the SD card in my card reader it is showing 3 odd files, and none of the usual GB map files etc.

I would reformat the card and reload my back up, but just to add insult to injury, my computer on which I had my backup file has failed completely.

I have a way with technology !!!

Both this and the Tom Tom One we use in the normal cars were registered with Tom Tom and on Tom Tom Home.

Is there anything I can do or do I need to bin this one and buy another.

I was using the Sat Nav permanenetly in the car as the Speedo as it is better than the bike type speedo I had fitted.

If I cannot use it again with the maps is there anyway I can use it to just display the Speed.

All advice and help appreciated, thanks

Alan
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressing the Reset and ON button at the same time shouldn't cause any harm. The Reset only disconnects the battery from the electronics. It won't delete any Map Files. Confused

What are the "3 odd files" named as? Where are they?

Can you connect the Hard Drive to another PC and see if the Backup Files can be extracted that way? You may also find the Map CAB File in the Download Folder where HOME keeps it. Assuming it's the HD that hasn't had a total failure!

When you say it "stays on the main screen", what do you actually see displayed?

The sound could be affected if water has got on to the speaker cone. The holes are exposed at the back.

If the Device itself is workable, then software is not a problem and then, if you can't recover the backup from the HD, it would only need a new Map. This may be cheaper than buying another unit.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
freestyleal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

Thank you for the response

There is a folder titled "H" and the three files

1 titled 0003WGS.3 = 6,41kb
1 titled^DS0. = 2,960 kb
1 titled o = 1, 398 741 kb

The Tom Tom is now moving beyond the screen with the hands to one which simply says "No maps available"

Regards

Alan
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is an original "Classic", do you still have the CD that came in the box? This has all the original backup stuff on it, including the map.

You should be able to do a full restore from this, with a new SD card if necessary. Always assuming that the GO is not physically damaged.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
freestyleal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it years ago when they first came out but I have been in the loft and found the original disc, obviously it will not have my map updates but fortunately the Spain, Florida and latest UK maps are on the Tom Tom One we have.

Thanks for the help,

Alan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyleal wrote:
.... but fortunately the Spain, Florida and latest UK maps are on the Tom Tom One we have.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use those (each map is coded to ONE device).
But if you have bought new maps for the Go, they should still be stored on your PC, or you can re-download them for a year from TomTom.
freestyleal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

Reference the Spain and Florida Maps being on the One, what I meant was that this meant they were not lost. If we go to Spain or Florida (which we are in August) we will take the One. I do not need to use these maps on the GO.

After reloading the original disc, my computer told me that there was a fault with my files and gave me an option to repair them.

This has restored all my previous files including the GB plus maps, which were not on the original disc.

Only issues now are that the full postcodes are not working and the voice (ogg) files with the speed cameras, but at least it is working to a point
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the postcodes going again,

Download the postcodes files from HERE
Unzip/decompress the downloaded file (in Windows, right click on it and select "Extract all") to produce a FOLDER called "zip" with 4 files inside (confusing name, but the folder is called "zip" as in American postcodes being called "zipcodes")

Place the entire folder and contents onto the root directory of your Go (i.e. not in any other folder) and postcode search should now work.

Ogg files for PGPSW camera database are downloadable from HERE
freestyleal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, everything is back to normal

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: