Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 8.35 Update Oddities Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Blue is distance to your current location, as the crow flies (turns grey if you do not have a GPS fix)

Well, I'm trying, Andy, but you've lost me there. Confused I mean, would I want to know how far it is to where I currently am? It wouldn't by any chance be NIL distance? Like I said, I'm lost - how far is it from where I am to where I am? Heeeeeelp!

I thought the other thingies were how far it is to Home from where I am and how far it is to Destination from where I am. Is that too simple? I suppose there's a FM to R, but that seems like it'll be hard work.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Spiggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to 8.350 yesterday on my Go 520.

The volume level has dropped to the point where if you set it at 50% you can't hear it.

Anyone else had this problem or got any ideas for a fix?
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 8.35 Update Oddities Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Blue is distance to your current location, as the crow flies (turns grey if you do not have a GPS fix)

Well, I'm trying, Andy, but you've lost me there. Confused I mean, would I want to know how far it is to where I currently am? It wouldn't by any chance be NIL distance? Like I said, I'm lost - how far is it from where I am to where I am? Heeeeeelp!

I assume that while browsing the map, if you drag the map to a point in any direction you will have an idea of how far away that point is from your current location.
Hmm, it makes sense when I say it to myself...
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Someone else complains it's just eye candy, no new features. Well it is only supposed to be a minor update! And anyway, there ARE two big new features. I think the new markers are excellent and the return of the instructions on FM is a good workround for a legal issue that was not of TomTom's making.
Then there's the roundabout improvement, and the improvements to importing phone contacts.....

So, 8 or more pages, but then some people just love to moan.....

(Stands back and waits to be shot down in flames)

Andy - some of us have been waiting since November for the stuttering voice / repeated instructions bug to be fixed (even DennisN is suffering from it now!).

If TT are going to release updates they should fix the existing bugs not just keep adding extra eye candy and features whilst the underlying app is still full of bugs - for instance the mp3 playback is about 50% of the volume of the nav instructions, even with TTs muzak mp3s that are included. Hands free still crashes. Bluetooth mp3 playback still jumps and sticks and the playback speed varies ever so slightly.

As I said previously - it still doesn't do what it says on the tin!

Last edited by AndyVaughan on Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilfuerdo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After instaling this 8.350 on my 920T, my unit will not restart, just goes through a continuous loop at startup screen.
I have deleted all applications via latest HOME, then reinstalled but exactly the same looping.
If I have on the cradle connected to pc then it will connect to home, check for updates etc & even operate my go works fine, but as soon as i disconnect then i get the looping and will not boot up, If I do the reset it will stop the looping and turn my device off but turn back on with same issue.

Any help greatly appreciated

Many Thanks
Andy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the unit is connected to the computer, use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file within your specific map folder (Don't worry, the file will get recreated on next boot up).

Now, disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the computer. Shut it off. Turn it back on. Is the problem still there?
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea get a vid up, same here drive a vw caddy and 1 year old , on motorway you can bearly hear it .. i tryed fm transmitter (glad that is back) but it seems you have to play music via tomtom to keep the signal link ..

DennisN wrote:
I gave it a fair trial yesterday (Bristol to Porlock and back) on my 920T and was sickened by the poor volume. So I copied my previous app 8.302 onto SDHC card and used that today for Bristol to Tooting. The volume reverted to usable. Coming back from Tooting, I took the card out and ran home on device's internal app 8.350 and could barely hear anything on the motorway, despite driving at mega economy speed of around 55mph (my van is in good nick, 14 months old, so it's not a banger for noise).

So I'm sticking with 8.302 and will get round to moaning at TomTom - it looks as though there are enough others with this volume problem for me to decide it's the 8.350 doing it. I can (and have done) sit here and switch from 8.302 to 8.350 and back again to prove the volume problem. I could video it (the difference) if I thought anybody would pay me any attention, but I suppose TT will tell me to adjust the slider in volume preferences. Evil or Very Mad

Incidentally, yesterday the second spoken instruction got repetition "At the roundabout roundabout ...."

RDS-TMC is working as before (and I'm no lover of it), with different announcements - previously something like "Traffic delay on route now 1 minute. No faster route available." is now "The traffic delay on your route is now 1 minute. You are still using the fastest route."
paul9018
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgraded the other and 530 would not turn on. left on charge for about twenty minutes then reset. sprung into life. but now when i attach to the pc 530 dies and will not reset. again i have left on charge by wall charger for twenty minutes and reset ok. any ideas anyone
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40 Reply with quote

News Team wrote:

The notable features and fixes in this release are:

Re-enables route instructions through FM Transmitter (GO x20, GO x30 only)(only when music is also being transmitted).

Does it transmit navigation instructions when "silent music" ie an empty MP3 file, is being played?

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 8.35 Update Oddities Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

DER!! These markers are on the BROWSE MAP screen, so you can be looking at anywhere in Europe (or wherever). So it is VERY useful to see where you are in comparison.

I thought the other thingies were how far it is to Home from where I am and how far it is to Destination from where I am. Is that too simple?[/quote]

Again, it's distance to Home destination, current location (or marker) from wherever you are on the map browser.

Try it... You'll like it!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

If TT are going to release updates they should fix the existing bugs not just keep adding extra eye candy and features whilst the underlying app is still full of bugs - for instance the mp3 playback is about 50% of the volume of the nav instructions, even with TTs muzak mp3s that are included.

Not for me....
The ONLY thing that is the wrong volume is that the TTS voices are rather too loud, everything else matches well. Normalising the volume of your mp3 files before you put them on the TT might help.

Quote:
Hands free still crashes.

Not for me, but I'd be the first to admit I don't use it enough to make it a fair test (my own phone isn't BT compatible.

Quote:
Bluetooth mp3 playback still jumps and sticks and the playback speed varies ever so slightly.

Not for me.... (except maybe playback speed once in blue moon - but do you remember audio cassettes!)

I must just be lucky!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are lucky, or I am just unlucky!!

It is just annoying that these intermittent bugs are still here.

I could probably cure the occasional voice stutter by putting Kate 7.10 on there, but I shouldn't have to.

My mp3s are normalized, and are louder than the TT samples. If I stream music and directions via bluetooth the difference in volume is very noticeable. If only they would reinstate an independent volume control for the mp3 playback it would fix an annoying problem.

The mp3 playback is significantly better than 8.3xx, but ipods and mp3 car head units don't speed up and down and stutter occasionally.
wilfuerdo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
While the unit is connected to the computer, use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file within your specific map folder (Don't worry, the file will get recreated on next boot up).

Now, disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the computer. Shut it off. Turn it back on. Is the problem still there?

Thank you for your response, Ive tried this, still I cannot boot the 920, exactly same looping.
I then connected to HOME again, I can then use the device , update it etc but cannot disconnect & run. When i connected to pc & HOME the mapsettings file hadnt rewritten, & home tells some error which I acknowledge before it searches updates.
Restore to the older files & everything works.
Sad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan, I fully agree with you. We are paying anywhere between 70 to 250GBP (Guesstimate & haven't got a pound sign on my lap top) for our SatNav's. This is an substantal investment of our hard earned money into something which is either an extravagant "Boy's Toy" or an essential piece of equipment for our jobs. When we buy a SatNav, we expect it to work as it should, at the point of sale. i.e. get us quickly, safely and without fuss from A to B on the most efficient route according to the parameters we have set it and according to the specification (aka marketing blurb) we have bought into together with any additional applications as advertised. The manufacturers first obligation should be to make available the technology we have purchased. Then, and only then, should they offer us FULLY WORKING optional enhancements as firmware so that they may compete with their (not our) competitors for market share.

An example of this is a route I take every day, everybody in the village takes this route, tourists also. It is signposted, yet TT would take the un-initiated on a 15km detour to complete a 3km journey. Sorry, this is not acceptable.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the new update, my 730 does not display a full battery after being fully charged and the charge level drops to about 75-80% quite rapidly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 12 of 39

Jump to: