Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route planner file size
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route planner file size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Route planner file size Reply with quote

Hi
Either I'm doing something wrong (which is very possible) or there are annoying shortcomings with the route planner. I had a problem a few weeks ago were I couldnt upload a track to the route planner because there were too many waypoints although I didnt set these this was done automatically by the system. I contacted Stamap and they told be there should be a maximum of 200 WPs or the route planner would lock up.

Yesterday my wife and son went on a hot air balloon flight and I put the active 10 in her pocket so that when she got back she could see the area she had covered. I pressed start while she was in the basket and she took off 5 minutes later. She was gone about 2.5 hours and when I looked on the active 10 you could see a fairly short distance had been covered and then a straight route back while they were in the recovery vehicle. As soon as she got back I pressed stop.

I converted the trail to a track, plugged it into the laptop and started satsync, there were 2 files My track 5.map and my track 5 Raw.gpx. I saved this to my desktop and tried to upload to the route planner. I received a message 'file too big, max size 500KB.' I checked the file and it was 74 WOs and 736KB. I tried deleting the WO's at the end,very time consuming, but even after deleting a load and re-saving the file it was still 736KB. I havent got a clue how to reduce its size or why I should have to.

John
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I have always found uploading files from the A10 to the route planner a virtual or total impossibility.

However I would never try to upload the large RAW .gpx file these are particulary large. Try exporting the .map file to your PC - which will create a smaller .gpx file. Then try uploading that.

Good luck.

Or you could upload the .gpx file so created onto the Route Share site and look at it there.

Hope that helps.
Satsync 1.525
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I tried the map file which as you say is a much smaller file (28KB) but the route planner comes up with an error message basically saying that it is an incorrect file format and must end in GPX. I am using the latest software 1.323. I seem to recall I used to have 3 files one was .map another was .GPX and another RAW GPX or am I wrong.

If I cant upload a simple 2.5 hour journey onto the route planner then I cant see the point of it and Im glad Im not paying £80!

I will bring this up again with Satmap but its not looking good.

By the way the export option seems to be permantly 'greyed out' and the only option I have is 'copy file from active 10'. I tried exporting from the SD card and the internal memory but still 'greyed out' I think if the export option was avaliable it would create a smaller file. Anyone else any ideas?

Just tried it on route share, no problem, but seems a waste of their server space. I will take a look and delete it.

Thanks

John
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much help, I'm afraid, but I have a VERY vague feeling that I might have seen the 'greyed-out option' business mentioned in one of the threads, (possibly the Route Planner Beta thread). Also have a look at Satmap's FAQs JIC.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:

....By the way the export option seems to be permantly 'greyed out' and the only option I have is 'copy file from active 10'. I tried exporting from the SD card and the internal memory but still 'greyed out' I think if the export option was avaliable it would create a smaller file. ...

Not sure if you are already doing this but you must copy or move the file to memory before you can export. Select the route - Edit- Select move route to memory. Once you have done this you should be able to select the .map file(in memory) in Satsync and export it(NB you must select the .map file to export). If you can confirm this is what you are doing we can look at some other options.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Thanks for that. No I hadn't saved to memory. I have now and the .map file is reduced considerably and changed from .map to .gpx uploaded to route planner, great. But same problem as a while ago, 274 waypoints, too many for the route planner to handle and it hangs! It can only handle up to 200.
Now the problem is this and if anyone interested they can look at the route on route share, there are a ridulous amount of waypoints or markers for the journey, a tenth of these would be too many. Also it totally ignored me pressing start or stop and logged the 50 miutes I was walking around in the field before the balloon went up! You can clearly see this. On route share it is called balloon flight, West Meon. Would it make any difference if I changed from updating every second to every 4 seconds, clutching at straws now! There must be a way to stop it logging so often.

Thanks John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, with the GPX file on the PC right click it and select Open/ With chose NotePad.
With the file open this way you can delete some of the data from the file such as the 50 minutes of you wandering around - Mike
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried the map file which as you say is a much smaller file (28KB) but the route planner comes up with an error message basically saying that it is an incorrect file format and must end in GPX.

You have not exported the .map file, but more copied it to the desktop. The Route Planner, much like every other route planning software handles .GPX files. Using satsync, you must highlight the .map file and click File - Export. This will give you a small .GPX file that you can upload to the route planner or route share. Unless you have some very specific reason do not use the raw gpx file, as this will cause lost of programs to run slow, especially as it has 12,000 waypoints for a trip that can easily be shown by 100 waypoints.

Quote:
By the way the export option seems to be permantly 'greyed out' and the only option I have is 'copy file from active 10'. I tried exporting from the SD card and the internal memory but still 'greyed out' I think if the export option was avaliable it would create a smaller file. Anyone else any ideas?

The export option is only greyed out on the SD card, I don't know why this is but, it is a bit of a pain, to have to use the move option on the device before you can export using SatSYNC. Maybe it is a problem with using the Active 10 as an SD card reader.

I have just downloaded your route from the route share and this is quite obviously the raw gpx. It's got well over 6,000 waypoints, that you do not need! Come on start thinking, about what your are doing.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob

I am thinking about what I'm doing thanks but its not exactly user freindly is it? If you care to read my last post I took note of what jonebach suggested and I have now copied to the internal memory and converted the map file to gpx. You cannot export the map file direct because it is greyed out. Still will not work on route planner though! Let me say that again, .map converted via internal memory to .gpx, uploaded to route planner, still too large for the planner to handle and it hangs! I have an email from SAtmap confirming that. Now I have to use notepad to assist it to work!

As for 6000 WPs do you really think I sat there a put each one in seperatly?

Perhaps you would explain why the active 10 ignores the start and stop command and still carries on logging, because from all the other posts no one else appears to know.

You would think that for the money we pay for these machines then we should be able use them easily without being a computer expert and dont tell me that the route planner is beta (it still says that on the site) because some people are now being charged £80 for it.

I would imagine that there are people out there who are buying this and REALLY struggling to use it.

Bob are you really telling me that you are having no problems at all and that you could take this straight out of the box and use it on the route planner? and you found the instructions to use it readily avaliable?

John
Tony_P1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:

Perhaps you would explain why the active 10 ignores the start and stop command and still carries on logging, because from all the other posts no one else appears to know.
John

I don't know about the .map file (I've not looked at it) but certainly the raw.gpx file happily collects data as long as the machine is switched on, regardless of whether the trip log is on or off. This appears to impact on the trip log stats. If you turn the log off, move to another location, then turn it back on, the total time displayed is (correctly) only for the time the log is on, but the total distance includes the distance moved while the log is off. Consequently the calculated speeds are dodgy. I've asked SatMap to comment. (of course, if you only use the triplog for a single journey, and you clear data before each start this is not an issue).
Tony
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
John, with the GPX file on the PC right click it and select Open/ With chose NotePad.
With the file open this way you can delete some of the data from the file such as the 50 minutes of you wandering around - Mike

Thanks Mike I'll try this when I get home tonight. I assume you delete the parts you dont want and then save it. Will this automatically save it to the gpx file for uploading.
John
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
....I'll try this when I get home tonight. I assume you delete the parts you dont want and then save it. Will this automatically save it to the gpx file for uploading.
John

John, you have private mail.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Mike

That didnt work. Opened in notepad, deleted a few WPs uploaded to route planner, says gp.XML file not recognised. Now all my saved routes on my laptop are opening in notepad and I cant stop them! Just tried saving from the active 10 to my desktop and it saved it as a notepad file, any idea how I stop it?

John
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder

You have a PM

John
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says file not recognised because you are trying to upload gp.XML, here the hint is in the file name, and I am assuming you have saved this out from Notepad, as an XML document rather then a GPX.

I can't say that I have had no problems with the device. In fact I struggled to use it at first. I was simply responding to the file that you had uploaded to the Route Share (which contains over 6000 lines) is probably the raw GPX file not the exported MAP, which would be from a trail to track not a route created by the user.

I haven't experienced the problem, with the trail logging after/before I use the device, but I do clear all my trail data between each trip. I may try to recreate, but I prefer going out and enjoying my rides rather that testing stuff out.

People are paying £80 for the software, but do you really think this is the final one? Fair enough it might be a bit of a gamble, but how much software do you know that has been released and never ever updated?! Imagine if all software companies held off releasing something, until it was perfect?! Someone else has already quoted the Satmap FAQ in that:

Quote:
Is access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network available indefinitely. The terms and conditions on my Active 10 Plus voucher say it is valid for one year?

We had to put a one year valid date as we can’t sell a product which doesn’t exist. So long as Ordnance Survey renew our licence then this will mean we can automatically renew your access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network.

This shows that the Route Planner will be around for as long as Satmap can keep it going, and will change over time. I got the Route Planner for free, as did a lot of people, and the fact that I will be able to get all the later versions for free (hopefully when it gets better and better) is brilliant.

If you don't want to use it you don't have to. Satmap aren't making you, and I am sure Memory Map will gladly accept your money if you want to buy all your maps twice over. I know I have both but won't be purchasing anything more from Memory Map in hopes that the Satmap offering gets better.

I am sure if you have emailed them the problem then they will get around to fixing it, but you shouldn't expect an immediate fix. That is just unrealistic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: