Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - public toilets poi?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

public toilets poi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: public toilets poi? Reply with quote

Hi, i was just wondering whether there was a poi database that includes public toilets like on a-z maps in the uk? disability access info would also be useful.

thanks.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately such a POI file would be a very significant undertaking, and there's various issues with even trying.

A lot of public toilets seem to be closing (rather like petrol stations - though I notice that the built in petrol station POI in Navigator 3 is rather more accurate than the Navigator 2 one, which showed a lot of petrol stations around where I live that had been closed some time). Collecting accurate information about toilets, including opening hours, which would be needed in the POI file for it to be truly useful, is going to be very hard. This is definitely a POI category that would need to be maintained for it to be truly useful. After all, what if you, in some desperation, head to a point in a toilet POI file that turns out either to have closed permanently or not be open at the time you need it.

So far as disability access information goes, RADAR produce the National Key Scheme guide, which gives details of around 6000 public toilets that have NKS locks on them. Just turning that lot into a POI file would be hard work, and you'd need RADAR's permission to turn their copyrighted data into POI form.

I know about the NKS scheme and appreciate particularly why an accurate toilet POI file with good access information would have value as I'm disabled, as I think many in the forums know. I'm actually a power chair user.

Like many wheelchair users, I have various urological problems (there seems no point being too coy here - my illness is no great secret, and maybe a few more people will understand if I share a little information). If you're a wheelchair user, then unless you have something like a joint problem, amputation or are simply frail, there's a good chance that whatever illness or injury affected your legs will also affect other things below the waist.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: