Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrading from a TT910 - advice wanted
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading from a TT910 - advice wanted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Upgrading from a TT910 - advice wanted Reply with quote

Hi all. I know there's a few threads asking similar questions but they seem to be spread all over the place, so I'm hoping for something all in one place if possible Embarassed

I currently have a 910 that, I think, is starting to show signs of wanting to go to the SatNav graveyard (repeated reboots, battery lasting only an hour or so, freezing and sometimes not charging) so I'm now starting to look at alternatives.

Being an HGV driver I was considering one of the dedicated HGV units but, to be honest, at the moment I don't think they can do any better than a standard unit and a good set of POIs and some common sense.

So, which to go for? 540/740/940? The only differences between the units other than maps seem to be EPT, MP3/audiobook playback and FM transmitter and different sizes of internal memory. I have an iPod so don't really need the MP3 functions. I never go out of the UK, so really only need UK maps, but would maybe find the EPT useful. But are these features worth an extra (on average) £120 over the cost of a 540 with UK & ROI maps? I know there's a thread or two about the EPT but they seem inconclusive as to whether that feature is worth paying considerably more for.

If I were to require a US or Europe map in the future, I see they 'modify' them for the 540 model due its smaller memory. Would buying the unmodified version and putting it on a microSD card still work?

While on the subject, how come TT stopped supplying the remote with any models? Considering how hands-free is such a big thing these days I'd have though if anything they'd make it standard across the range.

The 540 can be had for about £240, less any TT cashback offer which seems reasonable enough but the crux of my question still stands: leaving the maps out of the equation, are the 740 & 940 models worth the extra £100 or so over and above a 540?

Thanks in advance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPT is a waste of time in the UK as there are so few tunnels and none that require decisions within the tunnel, I know the Liverpool based tunnels have decision points straight after the exit but this is a rather issolated case and not really worth the price hike. If you are driving a HGV you will know where you are going prior to such a situation presenting itself.

Bear in mind the x40 devices are supplied with a very basic dock that offers power connection only, if you want to use an iPOD or Lne Out connection you need the add on (extra cost) accessory mount to get the connections. If you factor in the extra £30 for the mount that is needed to connect anything to the x40 range then the 540 should be the best bet if you really think you need Live services.

If you don't need Live services then grab a 720 from Here and save a considerable amount of cash. latest application and map for free and it has the FM Tx capability, Line out and full conectivity without spending additional cash on the x40 range which require extra mounts and such like.
Put a decent capacity SDHC card in and it will store music negating the need for the iPOD, although it is capable of controlling one if need be (with the correct cable attached - the x10 iPOD cable will work fine if you already have one, if not try your local Halfords as the cables can be purchased for a little as £3 from the in store bargain buckets). Going for the 720 from the link will bring you up to date for maps and application, but it doesn't offer the Live services, your choice but the cost difference is considerable and the difference between a 720 and 540 isn't really worth the extra cost IMHO - Mike
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mike. To be completely honest, the MP3/audiobook functions are a waste of time for me. I use the iPod with FM transmitter and usually have (or had when it was working) my TT in the windscreen just doing what it's designed for. I'm a big believer in the thought that my phone should be able make calls and text, and my satnav should give me directions and traffic info. Why do we have to be always messing about with things having functions they don't need? Apart from anything else my collection is mostly AAC and some AAC protected so the built in player would be useless I suppose without the controller cable. I've also read some iffy reports about FM transmitters in the TTs, especially once inside the M25.

It's only the EPT that may have nudged me in the direction of a 940. So you're saying that the feature is really only designed to help you in/after tunnels? Some people seemed to hint that it helps in low signal areas too, where the signal can come and go.

Once it's working better (maybe, as noted in other threads an HD module for earlier versions might help the uptake) I do like the idea of HD traffic, but even so in it's current state it seems to be more reliable than the TMC antenna. So, just one more dilemma then Rolling Eyes

I think I may plump for the 540 (for the Live features) and just hope they improve significantly in the shorter term. Thanks for your advice though. Any and all help welcome.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only get FM Tx with the 940 so its going to be costly to stream the iPOD music via the x40 device - the 540 can control the iPOD but has no FM Tx capability - bear this in mind before you decide to purchase a device - Mike
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does EPT work
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you lose the GPS signal such as underground in a tunnel or under another road then it kicks in automatically, it uses an electronic gyro to work out acceleration and changes in direction to keep the map display updated.
With the efficiancy of the modern GPS receivers they can remain locked to the signal in all but the most demanding conditions, being underground is about the only time EPT will be of much use - Mike
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You only get FM Tx with the 940 so its going to be costly to stream the iPOD music via the x40 device - the 540 can control the iPOD but has no FM Tx capability - bear this in mind before you decide to purchase a device - Mike

That's the point. I've no intention of streaming through the TomTom. I have a seperate FM transmitter that I've had for years that I plug into the iPod already. If, as you say, EPT is next to useless in the UK then there's not really any point in going above a 540 - unless fututre map updates are bigger than its memory of course, hence my original question about putting new maps on a microSD card instead of the internal memory.

spikeywelsh wrote:
how does EPT work

As I understand it there's some electronic gubbins (that's a technical term apparently!) inside the 940 only that means if you drive into a tunnel - or presumably lose signal at any time - it can use your speed and the map data to keep showing you your route and giving directions until it reacquires the signal. How it actually works I have no idea though Crying or Very sad Just know it's supposed to.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When you lose the GPS signal such as underground in a tunnel or under another road then it kicks in automatically, it uses an electronic gyro to work out acceleration and changes in direction to keep the map display updated.
With the efficiancy of the modern GPS receivers they can remain locked to the signal in all but the most demanding conditions, being underground is about the only time EPT will be of much use - Mike

What he said Very Happy
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last thing (I think).

The only thing that still concerns me is the map updates for the smaller units. Both the 540 and 740 when you go to the map shop say that the maps are modified for smaller internal memory units. How can they take data out? What do you lose? Any ideas?

If I bought the maps for the 940 and stuck them on a microSD then surely I'd get the same functionality? They seem to be all the same price so that wouldn't make a difference. Can't see why not, or else in a unit with no MP3 function a slot seems a bit pointless.
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking at getting a 940, but keep thinking that a newer better version of the tomtom will come out soon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put maps on the MicroSD card if you want to, as for whats missing from the slimmer map its the extra detail such as rivers, coastline and other non road related data that gets taken out. You only notice whats missing when you have two different devices next to each other.

Do you control your iPOD from the TomTom? if so then you need to factor in the additional cost of an x40 accessory dock with the iPOD cable connection point built in, the one supplied doesn't have this capability - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeywelsh wrote:
how does EPT work

The 940 contains a PFM circuit that does all the work. The other models don't have it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 920, 930 and 940 are all equipped with the EPT system - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The 920, 930 and 940 are all equipped with the EPT system - Mike

Sorry, you're right of course. I was referring to th X40 series, when I said only the 940 has the PFM circuit
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can put maps on the MicroSD card if you want to, as for whats missing from the slimmer map its the extra detail such as rivers, coastline and other non road related data that gets taken out. You only notice whats missing when you have two different devices next to each other.

Do you control your iPOD from the TomTom? if so then you need to factor in the additional cost of an x40 accessory dock with the iPOD cable connection point built in, the one supplied doesn't have this capability - Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I don't use the TT control the iPod so it's not an issue. I've actually got an option to get a new 740 for under £200 (after TT cashback) so I think that's the way I'll go.

With the smaller internal memory in the 540/740, the shop says it's the modified maps if you try and buy the US or Western Europe maps. If that's the case, is it likely that the 'modified' maps are the ones preinstalled on the 740?

As long as I'm able to put the unmodified maps on a card if I ever need to then this lack of internal storage isn't an issue

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: