Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost thread regarding portable GPS for PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost thread regarding portable GPS for PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popperjoe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Lost thread regarding portable GPS for PDA Reply with quote

Hello,
I noticed a message on this site last week that mentioned a problem with one of the servers and stating that some messages may have been lost. I think that one of these lost messages was probably mine because I can no longer find it on this forum. So, at the risk of boring people, I will ask the question again.
I originally asked about the options for a portable GPS receiver to link up to a Packard Bell PDA, which does not have a compact flash slot. Darren and PC-mobile kindly offered some advice including from PC-mobile the suggestion that I might link the PDA to a stand alone portable GPS. I posted a reply to that suggestion, but I don't know if it got through or if anyone replied further. My question to PC-mobile was: Why would you buy a stand alone GPS and then link it to a PDA? I probably know the answer; I assume it is because of the colour screen and resolution on the PDA that will offer much better maps etc.? When linking the 2 units together, are you then presented with your position displayed on both screens, or is there a mode that the GPS has to be switched to that allows it to act soley as a receiver for the PDA? I have been looking on ebay and have seen that I can probably buy a Megallan 300 series GPS for around £60 or £70, would that type of unit satisfy my requirements? Where would I buy the necessary cable?

Regards
Dave Burrows
(not the clever one!)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the standalone ("handheld") receivers expose some contacts either on their back or bottom side. This is a serial port. Normally this connects them to the PC for upload/download of maps and waypoints etc. But when they are running this port is transmitting the standard NMEA messages that give all the GPS data. So the handheld receiver acts identical to a wired, mouse type receiver. And this is independent from its normal display functions

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lost thread regarding portable GPS for PDA Reply with quote

popperjoe wrote:
I noticed a message on this site last week that mentioned a problem with one of the servers and stating that some messages may have been lost. I think that one of these lost messages was probably mine because I can no longer find it on this forum. So, at the risk of boring people, I will ask the question again.

We did lose a few new messages in the migration which was unfortunate, please do re-ask any questions that were lost.

To answer your question a little further, some people don't always like to carry a PDA around with them, for some a handheld GPS is just fine if they're going out in the woods and only want to go back to specific locations they went to previously (or to get back to the car), but on other occasions people do want to use bright vibrant maps. Remember that most handheld GPS Receivers are rugged and waterproof where as a PDA is not, so hooking a handheld GPS Receiver up to a PDA can give you a great solution, but when you don't need the full solution you can drop back to just the handheld.

Basically whatever display you have on the handheld GPS, when you connect it to the Pocket PC you will still see the same display on the handheld GPS, but depending on which GPS application you are using on the PDA you will also get the same sort of information like lat/long, sat strengths etc.

popperjoe wrote:

Regards
Dave Burrows
(not the clever one!)

Oh Crikey, this is going to get confusing! Our name seems to be getting as popular as smith when you do a search on Google!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: