Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720,Route calculation not as good,Also voice distorts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720,Route calculation not as good,Also voice distorts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: 720,Route calculation not as good,Also voice distorts Reply with quote

Ive tested the 720 out,I went for a little drive and every now and then the voice distorts and you cant hear the instruction the volume was on 70%.

On the way back i put our home address in but then i went a different way,When i took a right instead of left it kept on telling me to take a Uturn,Then it got fed up after 10minutes and told me to turn left every now and then,It would of been quicker to go the way i was going so i ignored it.

But after 15minutes i took a left as it said,What it was doing was taking me back onto the main road where it wanted me to go in the first place,Well this was not a good idea because it took me alot longer to get home,If i didn't take that left and kept on going i would of been home in 15minutes,The route it took me was longer i got home in 30minutes.

Now if i had used my go300 that would of taken me the way i was going to go.Which means i would of been home in 15minutes

I just dont get why the 300 would of took me the quicker way,When the 720 should be better because its a newer map.

Oyea one more thing,When i was going out for our little trip it told me to take a right then left,Well i could turn right but it was a one way so i couldn't turn left,It shouldn't of said turn right,I should of kept on going then i could turn left further up the road,My go300 has never said turn right it has allways let me carry on up the road then turn left.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be down to the IQ Routes data the 720 will be using if running the latest map and application (Navcore 8,302 and map v825)

At the end of the day the device is offering a route based upon actual users road speed for that time of day so it should be quicker. I appreciate there will be errors/ discrepencies where local knowledge will out perform the nav unit but sometimes it is worth following the device.

If you know its a bad junction that causes delays the intuative IQ Routes can learn from this and a future map update will contain revised routes that everyone can benefit from assuming you share statistics from the device via TomTom Home) - Every now and again I follow the device thinking I know better only to be surprised at the actual route the device offers - Mike
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Smile

I get it now Smile

wigfield wrote:
Ive tested the 720 out,I went for a little drive and every now and then the voice distorts and you cant hear the instruction the volume was on 70%.

I am thinking there is something not right with the my 720,The voice shouldn't break up like that.

Im going to use it for a couple of days just to see how it messes up.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wigfield wrote:
I am thinking there is something not right with the my 720,The voice shouldn't break up like that.

Is this on battery? There is a known issue with distortion when battery level is low.
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i did read there was a problem with distortion when running on the battery,But sadly it wasn't on the battery i allways have it plugged into the lighter socket.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Navcore version have you got installed as the 8,300 release was known to stammer, this was cured by 8,302 you can check the verion by tapping the sat strength meter lower right corner of the screen. If you have 8,300 connect it to Home and use the update function to get the device to the latest standard.
If you are running 8,302 with the device using the car charger then there is no reason for it distorting the sound - Mike
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then lets hope this has got rid of the problem,I was running 8,300,But now im running 8,302.

Thanks for your advice Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT Home updates the device to 8,300 then you need to repeat the update to get the 8,302 release, with this installed you shouldn't experiance anything like the problems with 8,300 - Mike
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This could be down to the IQ Routes data the 720 will be using if running the latest map and application (Navcore 8,302 and map v825)

At the end of the day the device is offering a route based upon actual users road speed for that time of day so it should be quicker. I appreciate there will be errors/ discrepencies where local knowledge will out perform the nav unit but sometimes it is worth following the device.

Just out of interest can you disable IQ Routes Smile
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. Really there are two ways:
1. If, under planning preferences, you select any method **other than** fastest, IQ does NOT kick in.
2. Even if you select 'fastest', there is a IQ button on the bottom of the screen to disable IQ routing.
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORight Smile

So does everyone leave it on,Or switch it off if they know where they are going,Im not use to all of these posh features,Ive come from the go300 Laughing Out Loud
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
1. If, under planning preferences, you select any method **other than** fastest, IQ does NOT kick in.

Incorect advice DHN. My van is limited to 56mph, and as such, I use the Limited Speed planning preference. I get, on the map view, Limited speed - IQ Routes.

I believe the only way to not use IQ routes is to disable them!!

iPhone 12
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be blind because i cant see no option to disable it Confused

EDIT: O ive found it so you have to disable it under the planning preferences,You cant disable it when you have planned a route.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

page 6 of 8, planning preferences, bottom left corner, IQ Routes!

iPhone 12
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ routes data is NOT used if you use any of the following planning options:

Shortest Route
Walking
Bicycle

IQ Routes data IS used for:

Fastest
Avoid Motorway
Limited Speed

As you have found there is an option to turn it off so it won't be used for any route planning but I wouldn't recommend that, it rather negates the advantage IQ Routes can offer for some routes depending upon the day of week and time of day - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: