Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-ordinate problem with two GPS's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-ordinate problem with two GPS's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
croesus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Co-ordinate problem with two GPS's Reply with quote

I have an Active 10 and a Garmin Etrex H - They seem to give different co-ordinate values for the same place. I think I have set them up accurately - datum etc. e.g.

Active 10: N55 24.544, W1 41.310
Garmin: N55 24.540, W1 41.210

The variation is more pronounced in the W value in all cases. Any ideas? I need to use them together for setting up geocaches (A10) with someone else finding them using the Garmin.

I assume there must be some setup I have missed.
collegelecturer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes get electrical interference between two GPS placed side by side with both switched on and this may produce different readings. Use one at time. This may not solve it but is worth trying.
croesus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Co-ordinate problem with two GPS's Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried it GPS's away from each other and off while one gets reading. Still reads W 0.1 of a minute away consistently - I'm not sure how far this is, but it is significant when navigating a cache!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check both devices are using the same datum, quite often this sort of error in reported position can be down to units using different settings - Mike
croesus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Co-ordinate problem with two GPS's Reply with quote

Solved! Laughing

It is all about Datum - There does not seem a way to change the Active 10 - I assumed (wrongly) that this would be OSGB.

I set the Garmin and the EasyGPS settings not to OSGB, but to WGS 84 - now they both come up with same co-ordinates.

Thanks to those that replied
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does that sort of error actually mean ? 1Metre out....2, 4, 10 ? Another good reason to carry a map as apposed to tumbling over the edge of a cliff !
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
What does that sort of error actually mean ? 1Metre out....2, 4, 10 ? Another good reason to carry a map as apposed to tumbling over the edge of a cliff !

In the UK the difference between OSGB and WGS84 in Lat/Long varies from 50-150 metres depending on exactly where in the UK you are. It's very significant.

With the OS mapping in the Active 10 you should get the option to display BNG format - which is the only practical display format for the OSGB datum. You should also be able to set the Etrex to display BNG / OSGB and then you can compare.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

Going N/S 1 degree = 60 nautical miles. 1 nautical mile is 6024 feet so 1 min is 6024 feet, so 0.1 mins is about 602 feet. E/W distances depend on latitude (Cos lat) so at 55N 0.1 min is approx 602 x Cos 55) = about 345 feet. You can do the Imperial to metric conversin yourself if you want. A foot is about 305mm. Very Happy
So falling off a cliff is a possible scenario unless you look where you are going. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: