Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Less Than a Third of Scottish Speed Cameras Operational
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Less Than a Third of Scottish Speed Cameras Operational

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Less Than a Third of Scottish Speed Cameras Operational Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe Press and Journal have reported that new figures show that more than two-thirds of Scotland's speed cameras are switched off at any one time.

The statistics, obtained under freedom of information legislation, show that "on a randomly chosen date" (Monday, November 15), just 66 of the country's 208 fixed speed cameras were active.

Scotland’s road safety camera partnerships confirmed that this was typical of the number of operational cameras every day.

A spokesperson for one of the Scottish partnerships, North-East Safety Camera Partnership, said they had just nine cameras which they rotate around its twenty nine sites.

She also indicated that even if they could afford to put cameras at all twenty nine sites, they wouldn't necessarily do so due to the extra time involved in changing the films.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to have all the sites operating, just need people not to know which ones they are. You could just take the risk and speed past one.....feeling lucky today?

Reminds me from the scene in the movie "The Gambler" - Kenny Rodgers is holding a little gun with just 1 bullet. One of the mob comments about there being only one in that little gun "so lets get him"... Kenny asks who is prepared to die so the others can get his money... (or something like that, my memories not that good) and walks away....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Dirty Harry.....
Quote:
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

It's the same with SPECS cameras. It must be very tempting to just plonk down a few big blocks of concrete with camera poles sticking out of them along some roadworks, and not bother with the hassle of wiring them all up.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course with lots of unrepaired pot-holes around, we'll all be tootling gently around for fear of damaging tyres and suspension, or worse. Cameras will become irrelevant to anything other than motorway journeys. I'm seriously considering a 4x4.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A back street round our way had the most awful potholes for years. You could only crawl down that road
Eventually, oh wonder of wonders, the council came and filled them all in, it was bliss.

Two days later... you guessed it.... they came back and put humps all down the road. Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Or Dirty Harry.....
Quote:
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

It's the same with SPECS cameras. It must be very tempting to just plonk down a few big blocks of concrete with camera poles sticking out of them along some roadworks, and not bother with the hassle of wiring them all up.
It's not quite the same is it? Shocked In the first you loose your head, in the second you loose £60 Wink but only if they have "wired them up" Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: