Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple Patents In-Car GPS with Safety Features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Patents In-Car GPS with Safety Features

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Apple Patents In-Car GPS with Safety Features Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comApple files a great many patents, nothing new there. It is standard practice for any tech company to patent anything and everything just in case it is of future value.

However this patent relates to GPS and is for an in-car navigation system and more specifically safety features that prevent a driver from interacting with the device whilst in motion.

The patent filing states: "Many navigation systems use knobs and pushbuttons for entering destination and other information for use in determining driving directions. The accurate use of such input devices may force the driver to take her eyes off the road, resulting in a potentially hazardous condition."

The detail of the 11 page patent filing concerns methods of locking down the system or allowing operation by a passenger only. There are already systems in use that lock out access to the device when a vehicle is moving but the detail concerning sensors that can detect from which side of the vehicle a device is being operated are new.

It is a lengthy filing as is common with Patent filings but news of a patent that seek to restrict access will doubtless cause many to roll their eyes.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The accurate use of such input devices may force the driver to take her eyes off the road, resulting in a potentially hazardous condition."

This made me laugh. Smile

Dons tin hat and hides in corner
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTFL, for a moment there I thought it was my typo but no, for a change it's in the patent filing, nice!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Patents In-Car GPS with Safety Features Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The detail of the 11 page patent filing concerns methods of locking down the system or allowing operation by a passenger only.

i presume then that apple believe it is safer for a passenger to lean over in front of the driver to control the satnav than the driver to do it?

what would stop the driver using their left hand to simulate being a passenger hand? maybe they could add fingerprint recognition to the touch screen...

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't read the full patent then!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patent wrote:
8. The method of claim 1, where input includes input provided by one or more sensors from a group of sensors consisting of: a touch-sensitive display, a seat sensor, a seatbelt sensor, an infrared sensor, a proximity sensor, an optical sensor, a biometric sensor and a digital camera.

Can we say "overkill"? Shocked

With that many sensors, why can't it just "see" what the driver wants by hand waves etc without having to touch the screen at all?
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key phrase is "one or more sensors"? I doubt they would ever prose employing them all at once.
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That OK then my Navman has a remote control
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Patent wrote:
8. The method of claim 1, where input includes input provided by one or more sensors from a group of sensors consisting of: a touch-sensitive display, a seat sensor, a seatbelt sensor, an infrared sensor, a proximity sensor, an optical sensor, a biometric sensor and a digital camera.

Can we say "overkill"? Shocked

With that many sensors, why can't it just "see" what the driver wants by hand waves etc without having to touch the screen at all?

They're just covering all the possible bases they could think of. They would have added "or any other method anybody might think of in the future, feasible or not", if it were allowed.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this isn't an early April fools, I am wondering if they will patent a shiny retro fit to lock down other dangerous distractions like the radio, cig lighter, electric windows, cup holder, heater controls etc etc Rolling Eyes

Tv in a Beamers dash, fair enough but a navigational aid Laughing

They need to turn their policies upside down an concentrate on giving functionality for a change.
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when satnavs are used properly they are actually a great aid to road safety, they remove the need for people to balance a map book on the steering wheel (yes I used to see this often) or on the passenger seat and keep looking down at it. They can take the stress out of driving in strange places and having to look out for speed and other cameras.

I think that drivers shouldn't be able to mess with them too much while the car is moving - I use the 'garmin lock' on mine to stop myself from being tempted to poke at the screen while zooming along. There are far too many distractions in cars today for my liking - including drivers phoning / texting while driving and ICE systems with loads of fiddly little multi-function buttons that are a real distraction.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: