Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pouch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pouch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ala_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Pouch Reply with quote

I am looking for a pouch for the satmap that I can fix to one of the main straps of my rucksack . The original one is on the wrong plane can any one recommend some thing Crying or Very sad
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the existing pouch and attach it to the straps of my rucsac using a carabiner through the belt loop on the pouch. Very similar to how my GARMIN Colorado attaches - so I can't claim originality here!

I'm not impressed with the flimsy front mesh pocket on the pouch. I don't know what it's for - but spare map cards will fall out of it without any trouble.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pouch Reply with quote

ala_fred wrote:
I am looking for a pouch for the satmap that I can fix to one of the main straps of my rucksack . The original one is on the wrong plane can any one recommend some thing Crying or Very sad

You can use the original Satmap case - I do. I attach it to the vertical webbing sewn onto my rucsack shoulder strap with a Lakeland Plastic freezer bag clip - sounds daft, but the clip holds it rigidly enough to keep the case in the correct position for satellite tracking!

For photos, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucevans/sets/72157616382767389/
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea Luvevans.

How secure is the clip, have you had any problems with it coming undone?

Cosmic

40swalkersnorth.ning.com
Walking group
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmiccowboy wrote:
Nice idea Luvevans.

How secure is the clip, have you had any problems with it coming undone?

Cosmic

40swalkersnorth.ning.com
Walking group

I've been using this arrangement for over a year now without it coming undone even once. If you are worried about it coming loose, you could always use a cable tie or similar as a backup teather.
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will give it a go.

Cosmic.
ala_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will give the carabiner a try bearing in mind the cost of the unit

thanks Guys Very Happy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pouch Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:

You can use the original Satmap case - I do. I attach it to the vertical webbing sewn onto my rucsack shoulder strap with a Lakeland Plastic freezer bag clip - sounds daft, but the clip holds it rigidly enough to keep the case in the correct position for satellite tracking!

What's the correct position for satellite tracking? I have had mine stuffed upside down in my jacket pocket or in the bottom of my rucsac and it tracks - you would need to shroud it in aluminium foil to stop it tracking - it's using very sensitive receivers.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh said
Quote:
you would need to shroud it in aluminium foil to stop it tracking - it's using very sensitive receivers

Maybe..... Mine is fairly reliable but even with the recent software I have lost lock in valleys with steep sides and tree cover. But not often. So I always keep it upright on my shoulder when I'm not referring to it.
Satsync 1.525
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pouch Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
lucevans wrote:

What's the correct position for satellite tracking? I have had mine stuffed upside down in my jacket pocket or in the bottom of my rucsac and it tracks - you would need to shroud it in aluminium foil to stop it tracking - it's using very sensitive receivers.

I know it's a sirfstar chipset, but my experience is that the antenna is not the most sensitive around. It's pretty good, but I have lost lock on rare occasions, especially when at the bottom of steep sided valleys. The idea of keeping the antenna facing skyward and somewhere around the upper half of my body can't hurt, can it?!
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sort I'm after is like for my mobile phone...a leather case that just opens out like a book.
collegelecturer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a simple lanyard attached to just one of the loop points. Its circular cross section makes it a lot more comfortable on my neck than the rough canvas of the one Satmap supply. Such lanyards are available in many camera shops (have a look at the op/tech range; these are superbly comfortable but a little price). The one I use actually came with a San Disk
memory stick.

As to loss of reception, I suggest you take advantage of this great offer:

http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/index.php?cPath=111&osCsid=96e9109285f82beb010ece12c880f020

For £24.99 SatMap will restore your your set to new appearance and will fine-tune the aerial for optimum reception. Even so the sensitivity is not quite up to that of the Garmin 60CSx.

I think Satmap do need to review the whole screen screen cover area. If it was hardened glass (like that on an iphone) it wouldn't have to be owner replaceable. The set case could be redesigned so that water and dirt wouldn't get in to damage the screen underneath.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

collegelecturer wrote:
I think Satmap do need to review the whole screen screen cover area. If it was hardened glass (like that on an iphone) it wouldn't have to be owner replaceable. The set case could be redesigned so that water and dirt wouldn't get in to damage the screen underneath.

I agree. Do that, and tweak the antenna performance, and they'd have a perfect product.
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Pouch Reply with quote

I slip mine onto the waist strap of my rucksack. I can easily remove it if I want to look at the screen. The only downside is that I need to remember to take hold of it when undoing the wasit strap to take off the rucksack.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: