Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inaccuracy 100m
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inaccuracy 100m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Inaccuracy 100m Reply with quote

Hi I am using Infomap Navigator with a Haicom 204e receiver. I have noticed that when moving its about 100m behind. Still pretty good though, better than using a conventional map. The voice navigation warns at 500m and 100m so i listen to 500m waarning and act on that. By the time the 100m warning is read out i am on top of the turn/roundabout.

I was wondering if the problem was in the restrictions of the software, the fact the receiver is not the best on the market or simply down to the settings. Any advice would be appriciated as IMO 100m is alot to be out by.

When stationary the position is very accurate.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 204e is not necessarily top of the line equipment but it should certainly do better than 100m. Even the Haicom web site states 40m at 95%.

Since it is a serial receiver make sure you use 4800 Baud and COM1 as your settings.

If it continues to be 100 m behind you should consider to get it exchanged.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bjellys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Haicom 204e receiver Reply with quote

Hi I take it that you are using this on a laptop I have used one for some time and have found the same error of 80 /100 mtrs but I lived with it . I now use an ipaq with Tomtom 2 which is much more accurate.
cpc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that I have the same problem with InfoMap using a cheapo GPS off Ebay, the 100m warning seems to be incorrectly calibrated but sometimes it is worse than others - it is more noticeable the faster you are going. Also when negotiating a roundabout you are told "roundabout 100m, take 1st/2nd exit" for example even when you are on the roundabout !!

I have considered editing the sound files for 100m warning to be simply "take next left" or "take next right" etc but obviously if their are a number of turns in a short distance then this might be worse. If you can glance at the map to see where you are going then it helps but not ideal I know.

Their seems to be 1 or 2 bugs in the software that I have seen mentioned before eg the map rotation facility jumps around when stationary, also I cannot seem to change the fonts/colors for the road / place names which I thought should be possible through the customisation tab??

Overall I am pleased with it, but could do with some refinement.
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for ur response. Yeah i have found that glanging at the screen confirms things, its weird because the screens pretty accurate most of the time its just the audio when doing turns on top of each other or at speed.

I too just live with it though. Was hoping there was a quick software fix though as the receiver shouldn't be that inaccurate. Glancing at the screen isn't a problem as I have a monitor in my dash. Check this website out its excellent for viewing/controling ur laptop on the move:

www.xenarc.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: