Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA Tom Tom, in UK ? or Visa Versa
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA Tom Tom, in UK ? or Visa Versa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefish1104
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: USA Tom Tom, in UK ? or Visa Versa Reply with quote

Hi All.

If this is not in the correct section please let me know, thanks

I'm heading to Florida soon Very Happy and I'm looking at using some sort of SatNav whilst I'm there.

As I see it, I have 3 options.

1 - Rent one, not so sure about that as I'm getting reports of shoddy quality.

2 - Buy one here, then add the maps of America to it. Is this possible / costly

3 - Buy one in the USA (walmart have a TomTom One 125 for $95), then when I'm home add the UK / Europe maps to it, again is it possible / costly?

I look forward to your assistance

## Edited for spellings ##
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would buy one here so that you can get used to the functions and plan some trips. You can get the US maps from the TomTom site. Also you will get a UK warranty if you have any problems once back home.

Andyfr
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that some models such as the later TomTom ONE's have internal memory only, no memory card slot so if you buy a UK one it mau not have enough space for US maps even if you delete the UK map and if you buy a US one you would need to delete the US map to make room for a UK one on your return.

x20's, x30's and x40's all have memory card slots so can be easily expanded to cope with large maps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider the 920 or 930 devices, if you can find one at a decent discount price it might be cheaper than a lessor model when you add together the price for device and US mapping - The 920 and 930 are both supplied with full European and North American maps built in - Mike
bluefish1104
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Be aware that some models such as the later TomTom ONE's have internal memory only, no memory card slot so if you buy a UK one it mau not have enough space for US maps even if you delete the UK map and if you buy a US one you would need to delete the US map to make room for a UK one on your return.

x20's, x30's and x40's all have memory card slots so can be easily expanded to cope with large maps.

Many thanks for that, I didn't realise they had removed the memory card slot.

is it easy to erase the maps and start again?
bluefish1104
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Also consider the 920 or 930 devices, if you can find one at a decent discount price it might be cheaper than a lessor model when you add together the price for device and US mapping - The 920 and 930 are both supplied with full European and North American maps built in - Mike

Now that sounds easier, however doing a quick google the 920 / 930 are over £200 when I think i can get a ONE for $95 + £50 for maps.

Any one have a link to 920 / 930 cheap?
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site that is with amazon.com that is selling 920 for $230.00 USNEW I believe . and if you are buying new you should be able to update both N/A and C/W EU maps. and those maps alone to buy would be almost $200.00 US so this isn't a bad deal.
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-920-Portable-Vehicle-Navigator/dp/B000VLHN9E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&m=A22UHVNXG98FAT&s=generic&qid=1237210645&sr=1-9

Or here is another site that is even cheeper but don't know anything about them & they are in china. Question
http://www.wildinshop.com/TomTom-GO-920-Portable-GPS-Vehicle-Navigator_p2237.html

Last edited by garcor on Tue May 12, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfr wrote:
Personally I would buy one here so that you can get used to the functions and plan some trips.

I'd strongly endorse this. I used our TomTom in Florida, and it was very nice (particularly when I felt I couldn't take a turn in time and just carried on), but the last thing you'd want is to be learning the satnav itself in a strange land. Driving on the wrong side of the road is hard enough without wondering what the satnav is talking about.

The other good thing is that you can set up favourites in advance. I used Google maps with the satellite photos to locate the actual entrances to places like Disney and SeaWorld. The POIs are usually the central area, and nothing like where you drive to. But finding the car park and then locating the right entrance road helped a lot.

Have fun!
bluefish1104
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought.

One of the guys I'm travelling with has one of the old style Tom Tom's big fat thing but has a card slot, could we / he buy the maps then just add then to the device?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garcor wrote:
Here is a site that is with amazon.com

We can only buy from Amazon.co.uk .
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garcor wrote:
Here is a site that is with amazon.com that is selling 920 for $230.00 USNEW I believe . and if you are buying new you should be able to update both N/A and C/W EU maps.

That might be a problem too.
Most UK buyers have been able to get both WE and NA maps updated free under the latest map guarantee (sometimes only after moaning at customer services), but most US users HAVEN'T been able to get the WE, even after a fight.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1104 wrote:
Another thought.

One of the guys I'm travelling with has one of the old style Tom Tom's big fat thing but has a card slot, could we / he buy the maps then just add then to the device?

I don't think TT are selling any maps on SD card at the moment, but there's nothing to stop you buying your own larger card for a tenner, copying the existing Go's contents to it and then buying a downloadable map which will install direct to the card. You do that with TomTom's "Home" utility program).
I would avoid any tempting offers on eBay or Amazon for maps on cards, as they will either be old, or pirated.

Any help needed if/when you get the new card, just shout!
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish,
I live out here in FL and have a go 720 & 920.

The 920 fits the bill for what you need in that it has both maps as Mike as stated earlier.
There is virtually no difference between a 920 and a 930, as once you load the latest software onto a 920 you have a 930. (Software available free via TT home)

You can pick up bargains on Ebay, they are selling whats called recertified units. These are units that were originally found faulty and TT take them back and test everything replacing the faulty parts to like new. They are perfect in every way plus you know it works as they have thouroughly tested them before release. Both my units were recertified and they had no marks/scratches whatsoever, plus you get all the parts in new bags etc.

Check one out here here, but there are many others:-
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
bluefish1104
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
Bluefish,
I live out here in FL and have a go 720 & 920.

The 920 fits the bill for what you need in that it has both maps as Mike as stated earlier.
There is virtually no difference between a 920 and a 930, as once you load the latest software onto a 920 you have a 930. (Software available free via TT home)

You can pick up bargains on Ebay, they are selling whats called recertified units.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not sure that the 930 doesn't do FAR more than i need from a sat nav, and for £180 about £100 more than I was hoping to pay
J_i_m_s_t_e_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Florida trip - installing US Map Reply with quote

I have a one XL with an SD slot and I am due to visit Florida. I'd like to use my unit with the US map over there, but before I download and pay for the US map from TomTom, how do I get the map onto the device without losing the UK map?

I have the UK map installed in the internal memory, and was hoping to put the US map on an SD card without removing anything from the internal memory - but can this be done, in terms of the device seeing two map sources and letting me decide which map I want to use on startup?

I would like to avoid wiping the internal memory of the device if possible, otherwise I envisage the pain-in-the-swiss approach of:

Make backup of current device with UK map.
Download US map to PC.
Delete UK map from device.
Install US map to device.

and of course, until I get to the US, I won't get a fix on the US map over here to test it....

Any advice appreciated!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: