Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom go 740 live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom go 740 live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dialyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Yes, that one pictured WILL work. The other one works in the same way, just uses a different connector which the 740 doesn't have.

Thanks. I'm thinking perhaps it might have beenn better to have chosen the 730 and used the difference in price to purchase a traffic receiver. If I was to do that, which traffic receiver works with the 730?

And finally, which is the best at doing the main task of satnav-ing? The 730 has some criticism on amazon reviews for being slow. Is the 740 an improvement on this and on battery life? I basically haven't a clue and don't know what to think.

I need the bluetooth thing for my phone too so this is a factor in my choice.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not goping for LIVE services, so if you can get a refund/cancellation on the 740 and get a 730 for £40 less, DO IT! TomTom are still selling the 730 alongside the 740, with the difference in performance being the LIVE services - the 730 is not discontinued in favour of the 740.

They will both navigate just as well as each other (effectively, I have three different TomToms in my van and they all offer me the same route with very little noticeable difference in performance).

Battery life is rubbish on them all - that's why they come with a ciggy lighter adapter.

Bluetooth to Mobile Phone is VERY variable - I have an almost steam powered Nokia 6230i which is so compatible it LOVES the TomTomGO (but performance is still dodgy, another story altogether). So many modern(ish) phones simply don't work well with the TomTom devices because TomTom have not kept up with the technology there, so look into compatibility carefully (there'll probably be no difference in phone compatibility between 730 and 740).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dialyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You're not goping for LIVE services, so if you can get a refund/cancellation on the 740 and get a 730 for £40 less, DO IT! TomTom are still selling the 730 alongside the 740, with the difference in performance being the LIVE services - the 730 is not discontinued in favour of the 740.

They will both navigate just as well as each other (effectively, I have three different TomToms in my van and they all offer me the same route with very little noticeable difference in performance).

Battery life is rubbish on them all - that's why they come with a ciggy lighter adapter.

Bluetooth to Mobile Phone is VERY variable - I have an almost steam powered Nokia 6230i which is so compatible it LOVES the TomTomGO (but performance is still dodgy, another story altogether). So many modern(ish) phones simply don't work well with the TomTom devices because TomTom have not kept up with the technology there, so look into compatibility carefully (there'll probably be no difference in phone compatibility between 730 and 740).

I've got a nokia 6300. I'd like to think either the 730 or 740 provide reasonable performance.

Is the window mount on the 740 an improvement on the 730?
dialyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question I would like answered is this: which satnav device would be the best performance for the uk and eire, with bluetooth phone facility? I read so much conflicting advice about whether garmin or tomtom have better maps, better performance etc... I'd appreciate your advice.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dialyt wrote:

The 740 mount is much better in my opinion. It doesnt just 'suck' onto thw windscreen, it has a outer circle thing which you turn once affixed onto the windscreen which tightens up the mount to the glass. My old go 520 kept falling off in my car and in my works van.

The x40 mount is MUCH better in my opinion!

I don't know if the 730 uses the same mount as the 520, i would assume so as the outer shells were exactly the same!

iPhone 12
dialyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
dialyt wrote:

The 740 mount is much better in my opinion. It doesnt just 'suck' onto thw windscreen, it has a outer circle thing which you turn once affixed onto the windscreen which tightens up the mount to the glass. My old go 520 kept falling off in my car and in my works van.

The x40 mount is MUCH better in my opinion!

I don't know if the 730 uses the same mount as the 520, i would assume so as the outer shells were exactly the same!

Ah well you see, if the mount is better, I'd think that an improvement worth paying something for.

I'm feeling like a right idiot overall though. I order the thing this morning you see. Then I start having doubts about it. Meh.

Maybe I should just stick with the 740. I guess it might be possible in the future that I would want the live services which may be improved and cheaper. Seem likely?

By the way, why do some people refer to the x40 instead of 740?

Is it likely that in the near future, such live services would replace the traffic receiver aerial service?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dialyt wrote:
Maybe I should just stick with the 740. I guess it might be possible in the future that I would want the live services which may be improved and cheaper. Seem likely?

Well, you will get the 3 months free to see how you like it. And yes, in the future if you change your mind, you will still have the hardware if you choose to subscribe!

Quote:
By the way, why do some people refer to the x40 instead of 740?

Thats just for convenience. The GO series usually has the same set up between the 3 models per series. ie 500/700/900 is known as the x00, 510/710/910 is known as the x10 series. And so likewise for the x40 series, 540/740/940.

Quote:
Is it likely that in the near future, such live services would replace the traffic receiver aerial service?

Possible, but at the moment, unlikely. A lot of people like the one off payment for the lifetime RDS-TMC traffic service. That also works all round europe too. But, I think the push in the next couple of years is going to be these 'extra' services via a connections of some sort.

iPhone 12
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much you have paid but look at these links/ specs and see what you think, as I mentioned earlier if you have no intention of using the Live services there is no point in having the 740.

In some respects the abscence of the mp3 player, FM Tx and the option to use GPRS based traffic rather restricts the 540/ 740 when compared to the x20/ x30 ranges.

See what price the 720 can be picked up for by clicking Here you get the latest software and maps, so an updated 720 is really the same as the 730, you also get the 12 month warranty with the unit.

If you have reservations about the mount there is a newer style mount available for the x20/ x30 range which is very different to the original ones and it sticks like a limpet, see Here

The above combination will offer more capability than a 740 with no Live status - Mike
dialyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't know how much you have paid but look at these links/ specs and see what you think, as I mentioned earlier if you have no intention of using the Live services there is no point in having the 740.

In some respects the abscence of the mp3 player, FM Tx and the option to use GPRS based traffic rather restricts the 540/ 740 when compared to the x20/ x30 ranges.

See what price the 720 can be picked up for by clicking Here you get the latest software and maps, so an updated 720 is really the same as the 730, you also get the 12 month warranty with the unit.

If you have reservations about the mount there is a newer style mount available for the x20/ x30 range which is very different to the original ones and it sticks like a limpet, see Here

The above combination will offer more capability than a 740 with no Live status - Mike

The 730 has an FM tx thingy, but my radio is not bluetooth - is that a problem? Is the advantage of this that the spoken voice instructions are issued over the car audio system? Do you need a bluetooth radio for it to work or will any car radio do?

Also, I have an ipod and a connection in my car separately, so lack of mp3 player is not an issue.

If I put the RDS traffic receiver with the 740, would it then provide all that the 730 would provide in terms of the benefits you describe?

How would one go about connecting a mobile phone to the 730? Are additional accessories required?

I paid £238 for the 740. The 730 is available from amazon uk for £198.
If I think about it, the 730 (best price £198 from amazon plus an upgraded mount (seemingly only available from tomtom direct would cost approx. £224 incl. p&p.

For me, it comes down to this: which is the better product? I'm not concerned so much with the unit cost. I already decided not to buy a laptop this year so I have the funds.

I realise I've asked a lot of questions in this post, but I would be most grateful for the answers.
dialyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: re: traffic receiver and subscription costs Reply with quote

Re: Traffic - if I but this ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-9V00-101-RDS-TMC-Traffic-Receiver/dp/B0019JDDB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238853046&sr=8-1 ) receiver from tomtom, is there a subscription required? I can only see this about traffic on the tomtom site ( http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=9 ) and it mentions a yearly subscription. I was under the impression that if you bought the receiver the lifetime subscription came with it? Is any additional connection required from the stock mount supplied with the tomtom 740?

In short my decision is that the tomtom is about £100 cheaper than the equivalent Garmin with voice control. So it's really a choice for me between the Garmin 765T (without voice control), the Garmin 256T (no voice control), or the tomtom 740 Go LIVE. I would REALLY appreciate any last minute recommendations or insights![/u]
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS-TMC receiver in your first link has no subscription payment required - all you pay for is to buy the receiver thing.

The traffic in your second link does NOT work on the 740 according to Mike, so ignore it.

So to sum it up, there are three Traffic services issued by TomTom

1. HD Traffic on the 740 LIVE. You'll get a free three month trial of that to see how it performs, then you can subscribe at around £8 a month to continue receiving it. NOTE - It works via a built in phone sim card which does NOT use "roaming", so it only works in the country where you buy the 740, so although you'll have maps of Europe, you won't get HD Traffic in France or any other country of Europe.

2. RDS-TMC Traffic receiver. This is a receiver and aerial as shown on the Amazon site you've linked to. The £30.57 is the full cost for life. The traffic information is transmitted free of charge by radio, so once you've bought the reciever, that's the end of the costs. It does work elsewhere in Europe for no extra cost.

3. GPRS Traffic. This is transmitted to mobile phones linked to the TomTom devices. It costs annual subscription to TomTom, plus data download charges from the phone service provider. It is NOT available for the 740, so forget it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MarkBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the USA and I just ordered a GO 740 (Amazon finally has them in stock). I also have no plans to continue with the Live services after the initial 3-month trial. But I wanted to reply here to explain why I wanted a GO 740 vs. a less expensive GO 720 or 730...

Answer: The new "Active Dock" Windshield Mount!

I currently use a TomTom GO 510 in my Mazda Miata (MX-5) sports car. My other car has a built-in navigation system so I never move the TomTom to the other car. So, the windshield suction cup mount for my GO 510 is "permanently" mounted, as it were. I have also routed the power cable such that very little of it is visible. After attaching to the GO 510's windshield mount, the power cord goes between the dash and the windshield and disappears. I installed a secondary cigarette lighter socket hidden under the dash and that's where the TomTom's adapter plugs in. 99% of the power cable is completely hidden.

Now, I could do the same thing with the power cable/adapter for the GO 720/730 except for one thing.... Each time I attach or remove the GO 720/730 from the windshield mount, I'd also have to fiddle with plugging/unplugging the power cord. And that's a LOT more "fiddly" than just attaching the GPS.

Frankly, I've been so completely satisfied with the GO 510's navigation performance that I wouldn't even be upgrading (although, I have..err.. "enhanced it" with features it was never intended to have). EXCEPT... for one serious problem... The Windshield Mount/Dock for the GO x10 seriously SUCKS! It jiggles around and loses its power connection ALL too frequently. I've gone through THREE different windshield mounts, all of them eventually developed the same problem!

TomTom's answer to the GO x10 mount problems was to switch the power cable connector directly to the unit. Again... fiddly!

I kept wondering, why did TomTom abandon the excellent docking system they used on their earliest GO units (300, etc.)? With that system, the GO unit sat ON the power pins, rather than hanging from them.

Well, with the GO x40 series, TomTom has returned to sanity! The GO unit sits ON the power pins and is held firmly there with latches. It is a MUCH better design. It allows me to, once again, "permanently" hide the power cable with it attached to the windshield mount. Snap the GO 740 in place it its got power! Push a button to remove, and power is automatically disconnected.

Since this unit is used in convertible with the top down 99% of the time (Southern California), I ALWAYS remove the GPS unit when I leave the car, no matter the length of time I'll be gone. If I had to unplug/plug a stinking power cable each time, it would be a real pain in the neck!

I anxiously await the arrival of my new GO 740. It will be here tomorrow!

Mark
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as we're talking about it, does anyone here own the Traffic RDS-TMC Active Dock?

I'm going to be driving in France quite a bit in the summer and thought it might come in handy over there. It automatically switches over to RDS-TMC only when HD traffic services are not available, right?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:
Seeing as we're talking about it, does anyone here own the Traffic RDS-TMC Active Dock?

Yes I have one of those, it will give you RDS-TMC Traffic information outside of your country of purchase (Europe only as I don't think they have released one of these for the USA), or when your Live connection has expired/ there is no service - easy to connect the device and less string all over the dashboard - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Matt865 wrote:

Yes I have one of those, it will give you RDS-TMC Traffic information outside of your country of purchase (Europe only as I don't think they have released one of these for the USA), or when your Live connection has expired/ there is no service - easy to connect the device and less string all over the dashboard - Mike
Mike, do you have any idea what coverage is like in Southern Ireland?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: