Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with creating itinery on TT Go930
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with creating itinery on TT Go930
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qdosgolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Problem with creating itinery on TT Go930 Reply with quote

Hi, my first post here so be gentle with me! I have created an itinery with waypoints to a final destination. There are 16 in all. I created most of the waypoints from map references that i copied from my old garmin 2620. I have uploaded from the TT onto the TYRE program and the route is plotted visiting each of the waypoints. The same itinery calculated on my TT misses2 of the waypoints out. The waypoints are shown but not visited. I have tried putting extra wp's in in order to supplement the calculation but it misses those wp's out too. Can anyone shed any light on this because i have exhausted my knowledge of how to do it.

Cheers Chris
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is caused when you set a waypoint as "City center" or POI and the TT software assumes you do not actually need to visit the exact location. Replacing the waypoint with a "point on map" resolves the problem.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
qdosgolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
It is caused when you set a waypoint as "City center" or POI and the TT software assumes you do not actually need to visit the exact location. Replacing the waypoint with a "point on map" resolves the problem.

Did that and still hasn't resolved the problem. Bear in mind that when I load the same itinery into the TYRE s/w its fine Confused
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qdosgolf wrote:
alanji wrote:

Did that and still hasn't resolved the problem. Bear in mind that when I load the same itinery into the TYRE s/w its fine Confused

Sorry, I have not got round to investigating Tyre, yet. Presumably you are altering the waypoint to a point on map on the TomTom?

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
qdosgolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right, points 7 & 8 out of 16 will not get visited. What I did following your suggestion, was to go to 7 & 8 and delete them then add a point on the map into the itinery and then move it to the right location in the list. They are defo not POI's Confused Confused Confused
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were those two points perhaps off a mapped road? Maybe a park or something along those lines?
qdosgolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 points in question were on made up roads, I know this because i've driven on them Laughing , both are in residential locations.

Since my last post a friend took a look at my itinery and moved the 2 points slightly from there original location and the points are now included in the route. So problem solved

However, the points were definitely on the actual road because I deleted them and then relocated them and the name of the road was used as the itinery point name. So although sorted there is still a bit of a mystery. Incidently, if i convert one of the points to a destination it works fine but thats not how i want to do it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could give us the actual locations to try out for ourselves?
No need to give us the entire itinerary, if you don't want to, just the problematic waypoints if that would be OK.
qdosgolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have deleted all but the 2 locations that are giving me a problem and the route now includes them. So the plot thickens!

You are more than welcome to have the entire itinery if you pm your email address but i have already done this with a friend of mine and he has had the same results as me. So what's the next step??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
Smile
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting exactly the same problem on my 940. However I found that if I got the unit to calculate the shortest route rather than the fastest (the latter being the default option), it happily included the two waypoints it had previously skipped.

I wonder if the problem revolves around WPs that are on roads for which the unit does not know the speed limit and therefore excludes from its plotting when the user has selected the "Fastest" option?

--

Cheers

Dave
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT doesn't use the speed limit information for route calculation, there is a "time to travel" value attached to every road.
but you're right, if that info is wrong for a certain section, that would affect the routing.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy. I'm not sure, however, whether you're saying that as well as some "time to travel" data being incorrect, there is also a bug in "Fastest" routing algorithm. Irrespective of which algorithm you choose for calculation, the TT shouldn't decide to disregard any of the waypoints we have programmed - otherwise there's seems little point in having Itinerary functionality at all.

--

Cheers

Dave
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just referring to your previous post, not what went before.

I agree with everything alanji said in the second post

Quote:

But whether or not you can call it a "bug" is open to debate, that's the way it has always worked, so it's more of a "feature", whether we like it or not!
Personally it seems daft a lot of the time, but it makes perfect sense if someone says "Oh you don't want to go that way, you'd be better off going via Oxford." Sticking "Oxford in as a waypoint, I wouldn't want to be routed right into the city centre, just vaguely close (i.e. along the A40 or whatever).

You can always work round it once you know.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. I disagree with TT's thinking on this, then. For example when I travel to work, I pick up three friends along the way, so I have a genuine need to pause at some specific, remote locations before getting on to the motorway. Now if I were to set up an itinerary with work as a destination and my friends' home addresses as waypoints, if I were to slavishly follow the TT, I wouldn't pick any of them up as the unit effectively does a Harry Enfield on me and decides "You don't want to go down there, you want to take the main road instead".

Even if you accept that the unit might guide you fairly close to a particular waypoint, in my case it decided that three miles away was close enough! (And, incidentally, contrary to Alan's observations, I had used the "Point on Map" feature, not "City Centre")

If it's a deliberate feature, it is not mentioned in the x40 user guide (nor, I assume, that for any other TT models). Interestingly, however, the guide gives two definitions of what a waypoint is: "A location on your journey where you want to travel through" and "[A point] on your journey to your destination that you want to pass". That second one is rather ambiguous - what precisely do they mean by "pass" - does it mean "pass by", in which case does that actually mean "by-pass"?!! Depending on how you intrepret its meaning, you could say it's in direct contravention of the first definition, in which case the whole idea of waypoints is rather meaningless.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: