Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is the max No of self created POIs for iPaq 5500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the max No of self created POIs for iPaq 5500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: What is the max No of self created POIs for iPaq 5500 Reply with quote

I travel around alot and have started creating my own POIs (together with my own POI icon (bmp files)).
What is the maximum no Of POIs I can store on a 5500 iPaq? I found a box setting which was set at 20 default but could be increased to a maximum of 99 but I really need around 150-200 if possible. Does the maximum setting also include POIs from the Pocket GPS site eg. PocketGPS UK SC etc etc?

iPaq 5500; Pocket 2003; Navman 3450 GPS Sleeve; TT2 (but upgrading to TT3 shortly); CheckPOInt 2.02; UK Postcode Finder; 256MB Sandisk SD card; 128MB CF Card
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max number of POIs has not much to do with the 5550 but rather with the available memory on your machine. You can certainly load way more than 200 POIs.

The "20" limit is simply the number of POI that are displayed simultaneously on the screen, not the max number of POIs

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz. So the maximum number of POIs I can have on the screen at any one time is only 20 (with say PocketGPS UK SC counting as just one - even though there are hundreds of camera icons on the GB map?) When the 20 limit is reached would I get a warning?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That (configurable) limit is for the number of POI icons on screen at once. 99 icons on a screen wouldn't leave much map visible!

There is a separate limit on the number of POI files in the map folder before you get an error - which is somewhere around 40 (I forget exactly).

150 points in a POI file, if that's what you want, won't be a problem at all. You can have a good deal more than that - though the more points in a POI file, the slower searching it becomes.

David
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David for this. I think I am slowly beginning to understand! If I perhaps explain my situation it may be clearer to you, others as well as me!

I have Pocket GPS UK SC as an overlay on TT2 (one POI?). I have also created my own bmp files for about 8 self created POIs eg. Wholesaler, Hatchery etc. But for each of these self created POI there will be several sub entries of actual premises (individual points?) for which I also intend to plot on the map. For example under the wholesaler POI there may be 100 individual premises on my map each with the same wholesaler bmp icon appearing on the GB map but each relating to a specific premises.

So if I only have Pocket GPS UK SC plus 8 or so of my own created POIs on the GB map am I right in thinking that the total number is only 9 regardless of the amount of individual points contained within each?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each POI category (apart from the built in ones) has its own file. The TomTom Support site says that the limit on POI files in Navigator 2 2.24 was raised to 128 - so I presume it's the same for Navigator 3. This is a hard limit you cannot change - more categories than that in your map folder, whether or not they're displayed, and you'll get an error when you start Navigator.

You are indeed describing 8 categories of your own (each with a .ov2 file that contains data and a .bmp file that contains the icon). Within each you can quite happily have 100 points - there's far more in the Pocket GPS speed camera database, and I think more than one of my POI categories (which I keep meaning to finish and release - but which I haven't got round to).

That is obviously well within the limit of the apparently 128 custom POI files you're allowed, and the size of each of these POI files isn't excessive either - they'll be more than fast enough to search in Navigator (assuming you don't have a faulty SD memory card).

The second limit is the one for the number of points displayed on the map screen at once - that's the one that's configurable (within reason) on the Advanced tab of the Properties screen. This is purely a cosmetic one - the more POIs you allow Navigator to plot, the slower the screen redraw is and potentially the more cluttered with icons the on screen map will be.

Even if a POI isn't displayed on screen (because the category is either not selected, or there were more icons to display than the limit set), you can select it using the various incarnations of the find function.

Are things clearer now?

David
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are. Thanks for your time David.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: