Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foci
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Map advice Reply with quote

Just some advice really, i have a One 2nd edition which i've had for 2 years, think the map is probably outdated now, is it worth buying a new map from tomtom at around £40 or just upgrading my One to a newer model ?

If i do that what model would members recomend, i'm only really a casual user holidays etc but could do with more battery life than the 2 hours of the One i have.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why worry about the battery life? Plug in the in-car charger, and it will last for as long as you want it.

Youi'll find that none of the newer models have significantly longer battery life as they are designed to be used with the charger. Therefore, I wouldn't bother upgrading to a different model, particularly if your use is only casual.

Maps - ask yourself the questions; "How often did I previously change my paper road atlas?" and "Am I regularly finding discrepancies on my TomTom?"

If the answers to either question are "Frequently" then it may be worthwhile buying new maps for your TT. If not, then are you going to be spending money just for the sake of it? Bear in mind that the "new" maps will still contain a number of errors - both roads that have recently been updated and not fouind their way onto the new maps, and genuine mistakes which have been there for years.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need more than 2hrs, don't you use the car charger? Although they all have internal batteries they are meant to be plugged in when in-car?

As for upgrading, you'd be far better considering a new map 'if' you need it. Have you noticed issues with missing roads etc in use? If you haven't then maybe yours is fine as is?

Later models bring little new to the mix, so long as yours is using the latest updated software (free via TT HOME) it will be very nearly as good as a new model and in some respects better as new ONE's lack memory card slot!
Foci
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, think i'll stick with my One, reason i wanted more battery life was i don't like the charger lead hanging down and getting in the way.

Other than that i am very pleased with the One, think i will update the software as not done it since i have had it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it ain't broke......

What map version do you have? Tap bottom right of your device, then tap the box which says Version and the next screen will tell you the map and version. On one of my devices, I have map v675 (April 2007), which was the first to include the extended London Congestion Charge Zone. I have two other devices each with (different) later maps, one being the latest currently available, v825, and to be honest I don't see an awful lot of difference between the lot! I am currently driving 50,000 miles a year.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Foci
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is map v6.75 from 2007, and have just updated the software to version 7.9 via TT home.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foci wrote:
It is map v6.75 from 2007, and have just updated the software to version 7.9 via TT home.
Well, I find that map is quite reasonable. However, it WILL be out of date in some areas. So as a casual user, I think you would do well to upgrade to the latest map, but don't bother subscribing to the upgrade program unless they offer it at a cost-effective price. My map (Western & Central Europe) was about £80, but they offered me the upgrade to it plus the next year's worth for £90, so I accepted that.

chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Foci"] don't like the charger lead hanging down and getting in the way.[quote]

I was the same, wires everywhere, Ive now routed an extension socket from the original cigarette socket to the driver's side `A` pillar, where 4 new sockets reside, smartly in the lower right-hand corner of the windscreen. when away from the car, one of those black non-slip mats covers the socket which makes it almost impossible to see when given a glance in through the window, and no wires are visible.
Maybe you can extend a power supply behind the dash and up to the pillars or route it along the bottom of the dash and up the side of the door pillars.

When the Radar/Satnav/Mobile Phone are connected only the Radar cable needs to lay along the top of the dash just above the air vents and the rest of the cables tuck in nicely behind the satnav.

Either way watch out for any obstruction to Survival systems like air bags.....my car is full of them?

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran an extension lighter socket behind the dash and brought the cable out through one of the air vents (which still adjusts just fine).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I ran an extension lighter socket behind the dash and brought the cable out through one of the air vents (which still adjusts just fine).

Say what you like, that looks suspiciously like screwdriver work to me. Evil or Very Mad

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, are you now using a picture of the real you as an avatar? Joker. Off Topic sorry
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. But I've spared you the teeth.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Say what you like, that looks suspiciously like screwdriver work to me. Evil or Very Mad

Actually, I used the wife's cake decorating spatula to get the grill out! Twisted Evil
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Map advice Reply with quote

Foci wrote:
Just some advice really, i have a One 2nd edition which i've had for 2 years, think the map is probably outdated now, is it worth buying a new map from tomtom at around £40 or just upgrading my One to a newer model ?

If i do that what model would members recomend, i'm only really a casual user holidays etc but could do with more battery life than the 2 hours of the One i have.

If you go to ebay and type in 'Extra battery pack mount for tomtom' you will find extra 10 hours battery for various tomtom units. Price is around £18 inc Postage so seems a lot cheaper idea than upgrading to newer tomtom.
Foci
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the 10 hour battery packs on ebay, what do people think of these ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: