Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iCN610 Map update required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iCN610 Map update required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: iCN610 Map update required Reply with quote

Boy does'nt time fly? and the old 610 still works well. but that said, My iCN 610 ST V3 came with a memory card containing the preactivated map data 2004.1 for the UK. Now those maps are 5 Years out of Date. Is there a more recent update. I have'nt found one yet.......any clues?

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No- map updates for iCN series devices upto (I think) iCN530 error (Thats iCN6xx, 3xx, 5xx, 7xx, the PPC and PALM software and probably a few more) are not avalible. I don't know about the F series Navman offered upgrade deals a while back for customers with obsolete systems. I don't think they still do.

Your best bet is to either live with the old maps, or give you iCN to someone you love (or hate - depends on how you feel about it) and upgrade to a newer unit and get better software, better hardware and (better) support

Personally I would look towards Garmin devices, as the Open source movement is now producing maps, and Garmin seems to have become the defacto standard. I can't comment on the quality of these open source maps - but I do know they can only get better, and you can fix em youself if needed.
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: The End is Nigh for my iCN610? Reply with quote

cheers robertn.......

NAVMAN Europe also replied with........

[quote]
I'm afraid we don't have anymore maps for your item.You could upgrade to S series .We have an trade in offer , and you can get one of these products:

S100 UK for 139£

S200UK for 149£

S300T for 179 £
[un-quote]

Its a pity really, as the iCN610 still does what I need it to do, and quite clearly (except when wearing polaroid`s - the screen just goes 'purple`? )

So like you said, Myself and other iCN610 owners will just need to continue with out-of-date maps or bite the bullet and make the change.

Now the bad bits for me........

Doesnt look like I can continue with my pGPS subscription should I purchase the S100

There are additional fees for the Pre-loaded safety camera data (free trial For a limited period of 12 months) Subscription available separately......(Is this soley tied to NAVMAN?)

My car has the `Quick-Clear` heater elements in the front windscreen, which is just about ok as I can mount the present unit in the lower corners of the windscreen, which is not affected by the `metal wires` in the glass, but I still use an MCX External GPS Antenna, but the S100 has no external aerial connection, so I have an external magmount aerial that will become defunct?

I have no choice but to continue with the 2004 maps. its not every day a Major new road pops up, but just very annoying that the technology is`nt supported for more than a few Years, by way of simple updates

Also, a phone contract I have with GPS facility and voice guidance has some 6 Months to run, although the voice has just stopped(12 Months Free) and with extra subscritions on top of an already expensive Monthly connection, just to get the voice back, I feel that maybe in a few Months my situtaion will change again, and something portable will be in my pocket, of which the iCN 610 is not?

chas
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed cameras from this site will still work on the S series, though ahve a read about some limitations (12000 POI max). There is no need to pay Navman for them.

The S series has a much more sensitive GPS reciever than the older technology ion teh iCN610, so in the corner of a windscreen will probably work fine.

Although the have a generous tradein offer, you should consider other manufactures - The S series UI is quite different to the iCN610, so yopu would be making a chnage anyway. Have a look around and play with at least 2 or 3 others (beg or borrow one for a few days if you can, otherwise you'll have to rely oon a shop demo). As I said previously- I would go Garmin, as in a few years the Open source maps gives you an alternate if the manufacturer stops making them, as has just happened for you.

Have you considered upgrading to a phone with a builtin GPS - much better than a Bluetooth device, although cost comes into it.

Oh so many options, which choice to make:?
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok........Early days yet, and just started to learn about newer devices.
And so far the TomTom ONE! is my first study.

There seems to be several versions, but can the basic version be upgraded? Ive seen reference to V3 V4 ect UK + Northern Ireland or the XL Europe (favourite so-far) ALL Western Europe. and all with increasing prices?

After registration of said units, you get a FREE update to the latest maps, plus 4 updates a Year ( What happens after the 1stYear ?)
I can see pgpsw Speed Camera database can be used, so no need to purchase from TomTom!

The Traffic reporting system (add-on) Is`nt that the same as you get from the car radio Traffic Alerts?

I`m aware that there are numerous units available, but many give a good report to the no nonsense TomTom One. Hence my initial enquiries?

chas
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas, take a trip to your local Halfords or similar and have a look at the different devices, bear in mind the newer One and XL machines don't have an SD card slot so you only get the built in memory which can be restrictive if you purchase a UK only device and later want to install a pan European map to the device (it won't have the capacity to do this). If you want/ think you will need European mapping purchase a device with this capability from day one, the European mapping enabled units have greater built in memory capacity.

If you do go down the route of TomTom then you are buying in to a product range that is second to none in terms of upgrades and new maps, even the original Go is still supported, so you can get quite a few years from the device. The map updates can be renewed each year (at a cost) which will give you the latest map for the device aprox. every three months.

The RDS-TMC data is broadcast using FM radio stations in the UK, but it is digital data supplied from a company called iTIS Holdings, it is different to the more region specific feeds you get over the car radio as it tends to cover a larger area - Mike
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike...was planning to view what Halfords has on offer this Friday. Argos also stock various units, so if Im climbing up the money ladder to purchase a new Satnav, then Argos do allow 3-6 Months to pay?

I thought the XL had Western Europe included, which should be adequate for my use. I just dont want to be stuck with a new unit that only lasts a couple of Years.
If I`d known back then what I`ve discovered now, I probably would`nt have purchased the Navman? But who`s to say TomTom wont go bust?

chas
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL can be purchased in both Regional (UK&ROI) or European, the same applies to the One devices.

As for companies going "bust" who knows in the current climate, its hard to predict what might happen, but as I said before, at least with TomTom you are buying in to a device range that has a proven history of support and updates to even the oldest model in the range - Mike
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Chas, bear in mind the newer One and XL machines don't have an SD card slot so you only get the built in memory which can be restrictive if you purchase a UK only device and later want to install a pan European map to the device
- Mike

Confusingly the NEW! TomTom ONE XL manual talks of an SD slot and some images on the web show that a slot exists?

I`ll go look at the hardware!

chas
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the XL DOES'nt have an SD slot! The manuals must be for the earlier version of the XL?

But so many devices to choose from, and I thought the iCN610 was capable, but it seems to fail compared to whats available these Days.

I know I need a memory card slot for additional storage, European Street level mapping, Full Postcode Search,ability to select user Speed warnings, ability to add my own (down-loaded POI`s) especially Speed Cams, and about £150 Max available, so I`m sure I`ll get all listed here plus some?

I`m reading the manuals for the various devices, but dont want to get stuck with extra high costs in order to update or download additional favours for the PND. And I'm Still browsing........

chas
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 265WT possible replacement for iCN610 Reply with quote

I'm about to download the Manuals for the Garmin Nuvi 265WT & Nuvi 550 and give these units some serious thought, They seem to have the right things in the right places. I probably wont have Internet access for the next two Days? but by that time, I`ll have read the manuals back-to-front to see what their capabilities are?

chas
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: *UPDATE* Navman iCN610 Extended? Reply with quote

Navman iCN610 Extended? Laughing

Frustratingly, I`ve been looking at whats available for SATNAV installations for my car, and have come to the conclusion, there is nothing there at present that seems to satisfy the majority of people..........I read a glowing review on one device only to read the next, and something else is missing or was `removed` during a firmware update, so Ive decided to stick with the following........

I`ve just updated the use of my Navman iCN 610 by way of a fresh install of the pgpsw Speed camera database, and in addition to that, I will purchase the AA`s 2009 Road Map, which is totally portable, requires no power or bracket installation and is available for about £2 GBP if you know where to look?

My reason for the low tech upgrade is that there is nothing out there (SATNAV wise) to replace my iCN610( although I have said present devices seem to have more functions, but not all, and on just one device) that seems to have what it takes to satisfy most users? No SD or M-SD card on this device, No external MCX aerial socket on that device, too expensive, to cheap(less features)too big, too small, does`nt route correctly against local knowledge, UK only or Europe Wide (will I need that facility) RDS-TMC ((Radio Data System-Traffic Message Channel ) - RDS available already on my Car radio) ect the list goes on.

I'm always keen on getting whats best, but also at a sensible price ( I always shop around, as there is always a cheaper vendor elswhere) That does`nt mean I should buy the most popular device on sales alone, as this device may have the basic essential needs for someone who travels far and few between, but nothing usefull for the seasoned traveller. I have`nt seen one device that seems to have it all (Price/Features/Support and continued support, which seems to lack....look how many devices are on the shelves already `Discontinued`...Buyer beware, might be cheap, but 2 Years later and you cant update ( exactly what happened to me) such is my dilema!

Also most people seem to unwrap their devices and take for granted that its ready to go straight from the box, and then wonder why its recording data in KMH instead of MPH, or doesnt route the same way as my `mates` PND or other excuses without (RTFM) Reading The Flippin Manual, We've all done it? But there is a user setting on all of these devices, and I`m certain, each individuals setup will be different for obvious reasons, but they do need to be set, and the manual helps. The forums are questioned and mostly the answer is check the manual?

My only gripe now with the iCN 610 is that I cannot update the 2004.1 mapping data(Although NAVMAN have offered a part exhange, which rids the old for new, but at a price, and there are better priced units out there with similar features, but not all) so some newer streets are not visible, but its almost pretty obvious if your on a new road, between towns / Cities and the device is showing `Off- track` that your gonna get back onto the correct track sooner or later, so not really certain I should worry about local streets, like I have been?

When Im off track like a section of A77/M77(new) recently. I`m reminded to get to the nearest major road.
Only problem when off route is no `Data` information is displayed, But I`m going to live with that for a little longer.

I almost bought a new device over the Weekend, but decided that there is still life in the old Navman yet, and unless they rip out the major/minor roads that were there in 2004, then I really should'nt have a major problem here, after-all, I`m a good map reader, and I managed to travel without SATNAV before 2004 So I'm saving myself at present about £130+ for the need to get the latest local streets.

That said, I might have to eat my words because If I do have the opportunity to buy the latest and greatest that satisfies me in ALL respects as well as the present device does, at a knockdown price, then I may have an iCN 610 available ?

Its just difficult to make ones mind up at present. Also looking into PDA / Mobile technology

Chas

chas
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: *UPDATE* Navman iCN610 Extended? Reply with quote

[quote="chas921"

That said, I might have to eat my words because If I do have the opportunity to buy the latest and greatest that satisfies me in ALL respects as well as the present device does, at a knockdown price
Chas[/quote]

Ive bought me a Tomtom 520 GO £130

chas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: