Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. . .
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reynger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. . . Reply with quote

Thankfully we have found this forum. Hopefully having done so we won't waste too many people's time. . .

Our son kindly bought us a TomTom One XL Europe in July of 2007. My wife and I are senior citizens but not entirely deranged. Yet.

We've come to depend on the TomTom but have also followed our son's advice that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." So although we worked out how to install and use the TomTom Home software, we've never used it, nor made any upgrades to the device.

A few days ago we received an email from TomTom saying a new version of our map was available.

Our map is Western Europe v675.1409 and, until day, our device app was 7.162.

In a flurry of perhaps inadvised activity I have today upgraded our TomTom home application to the latest version and upgraded the device to v8.0.10. I also did a back-up.

The new map TomTom wants me to buy costs £59.95. However for £63.60 it says we can have the new map and a year's updates.

Our son says we can get stuff cheaper on eBay (oh really?) and we've found an "official product" from a vendor for £49.95. The product is said to be 9A00.118 serial code 636926017466. Which of course doesn't seem to relate to anything.

My wife and I are stumped re the following:

(1) Is it worth upgrading from our v675 map to the new one?
(2) Is it worth (as it seems to be, then) taking the £63.30 package?
(3) Should we leave eBay well alone?
(4) Do others here recommend going somewhere else for the same or better maps?
(5) Our XL Europe comes with an SD card slot. Should we buy a blank SD card to boost the XL's memory, seeing as how we've had to delete things today in order to install the TomTom recommended upgrades? (Not sure how we would operate the XL with an SD card anyway.) Our XL seems to have 1Gb and is full.

We're touring France for a month in June this year and then touring Germany for two weeks in September so we need to decide what we should be doing.

Apologies for long post but help from experienced users would be welcome! Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. Reply with quote

Reynger wrote:
Thankfully we have found this forum. Hopefully having done so we won't waste too many people's time. . .

Welcome aboard.
Quote:
In a flurry of perhaps inadvised activity I have today upgraded our TomTom home application to the latest version and upgraded the device to v8.0.10. I also did a back-up.

And all working, congratulations, that's the hardest part!
Quote:
The new map TomTom wants me to buy costs £59.95. However for £63.60 it says we can have the new map and a year's updates.

Our son says we can get stuff cheaper on eBay (oh really?) and we've found an "official product" from a vendor for £49.95. The product is said to be 9A00.118 serial code 636926017466. Which of course doesn't seem to relate to anything.

Avoid maps on eBay. TomTom only sell their current maps on-line. Any others found on eBay may be older, incompatible or pirated.
Quote:
My wife and I are stumped re the following:

(1) Is it worth upgrading from our v675 map to the new one?

Do you need a newer map? Only you can answer that. Unless you do a lot of driving it may be that your current map will serve fine?
Quote:

Depends on answer to previous question? A newer map may be advisable but whether you need to subscribe for quarterly updates is another matter. Again it depends on your needs/requirements?
Quote:
(3) Should we leave eBay well alone?

Categorical yes
Quote:
(4) Do others here recommend going somewhere else for the same or better maps?

TomTom are the only legitimate source.
Quote:
(5) Our XL Europe comes with an SD card slot. Should we buy a blank SD card to boost the XL's memory, seeing as how we've had to delete things today in order to install the TomTom recommended upgrades? (Not sure how we would operate the XL with an SD card anyway.) Our XL seems to have 1Gb and is full.

The XL's can use internal memory or external (memory card) memory but not both. if you want to expand storage you will need to copy the contents of internal memory to the memory card so consider a 2Gb card at a minimum.

If you do a lot of touring then a newer map will be more beneficial to you than it would to someone who spent most of their time driving in familiar/local areas. I'd still have a think about whether you needed a map subscription or if one map update a year was enough for your needs though.

Post back if you want more detailed replies to any specific points?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

All good questions....

1. First of all, do you actually NEED a new map, unless you are finding errors a lot as you drive around, why spend the money? It's just like a paper map, you might occasionally find something wrong and you just busk it like you used to., but if it's annoying you or happening a lot then upgrade.

2. If you do upgrade the subscription offer is VERY good value. you pay not much more then the price of a single map and get four updates in a year. Be aware thet the subscription requires you to get up to date FIRST, that's part of the package price you are quoted.

3. I would avoid eBay like the plague. This forum is full of people who've bought a bargain from eBay and lived to regret it.

4. As far as I know, there are NO up to date maps available from anywhere except TomTom (by download).

5. Yes. Pick up a 2GB SD card and copy EVERYTHING from the Ones internal memory onto it. On the XL, when a card is in the slot the TT will boot from that and ignore the internal memory completely, so you aren't "boosting" the internal memory, you're replacing it.
Once you are using the SD card, then updates via Home etc all happen automatically to the card. You may have to choose the card slot when Home starts up, I can't remember...

EDIT: Gah! beaten by Darren... Usually it's Mike!

At least we agreed on just about every point. Smile

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy we could have compiled those replies in concert Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my edit! Laughing
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. Reply with quote

Reynger wrote:
You said you have not been using Home.
If you subscribe for the yearly map updates then you will need to connect to Home every quarter (three months) to get the updated map.

So if you don't think you will be connecting to home to get the updates throughout the year then for you it would not be worth it.

I also agree with Darren & Andy_P if you are finding a lot of missing/incorrect roads then upgrading may be worth it.

I also don't think IQ routes are available for the One XL so I doubt you will gain anything like IQ routes or Active Lane Guidance by upgrading. So again I say only if you are finding a lot of missing/incorrect roads then consider upgrading.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you backed up did you use HOME? if so you should make another backup using Windows Explorer. the instructions are in the FAQs http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045

The french have been building a lot of new roads over the last few years so you might find a new map worthwhile for your holiday. I know for sure that there have been a lot of changes in the Rennes area in the last 2 years.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
The french have been building a lot of new roads over the last few years so you might find a new map worthwhile for your holiday. I know for sure that there have been a lot of changes in the Rennes area in the last 2 years.

...and some time in the next 5 years they might even appear on TomTom maps!!!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Reynger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so much advice so quickly!!!!

MANY MANY THANKS to Darren, Andy, Malouff and Calomax and Robin for the responses, the kindness really is greatly appreciated.

I'll readily take all the advice given (including the back-up tip) and now try to decide if the £63 'package deal' is going to be worth it -- on balance, it seems to be, because if the new maps are a substantial revision of the "old" then I guess that can only be useful.

We used the XL in northern France last year without a single mis-direction but that doesn't mean that will be the same anywhere else.

As to the UK, we frequently travel between Northumberland and Norfolk and the XL's UK map is now truly out of date where the A1 is concerned, many of the former roundabouts have been replaced by underpasses but our XL still keeps telling us to turn left in so many yards and then when we don't, the screen shows us driving across a field.

Of course if after spending £63 on "new" maps we still find the A1 has all its roundabouts intact and not an underpass in sight, that's going to be somewhat annoying (understatement.)

Ach, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again to you all for the help -- and the sheer speed at which that help has been given! Surprised
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote
Quote:
...and some time in the next 5 years they might even appear on TomTom maps!!!

The major junction change at on the N137 near Rennes appeared in the next map version after it was completed Clap
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reynger wrote:
Wow, so much advice so quickly!!!!

MANY MANY THANKS to Darren, Andy, Malouff and Calomax and Robin for the responses, the kindness really is greatly appreciated.

Of course if after spending £63 on "new" maps we still find the A1 has all its roundabouts intact and not an underpass in sight, that's going to be somewhat annoying (understatement.)

Ach, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again to you all for the help -- and the sheer speed at which that help has been given! Surprised

If you look on Google Maps, the data there should now show if any changes have been updated to the maps for the A1.

I think that Google Maps use TomTom data. Others will be able to comment on this I'm sure.
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Uses Tela Atlas for there map data the same as TomTom but they aren't always the same. Prior to 8.15 map Google maps was more up to date than TT for some areas but now that 8.25 is out there are some corrections on the 8.25 map that haven't yet been corrected on the google maps.
Or at least this is the case on the N/A map.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of the A1 the maps were actually showing the new road layouts about 3 months before they had completed laying the tarmac!
Go for the update scheme and in 12 months when you renew it you will find it considerably cheaper, some of the total cost you pay is for updating you current map which in this case is very out of date. In 12 months time you will have the very latest map so you will be charged less - Mike
Reynger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just said to Mrs R, how I'd ever have managed to understand the finer points of our TomTom if the Internet hadn't yet been invented, Gawd only knows.

She thinks there's some kind of flaw (factual, rhetorical or technological, I'm not sure which) in such musing.

ANYWAY. At risk of filling up this entire forum with thanks, here goes again: many, many thanks for the recent posts from pocketgps, garcor and mike -- all of which have decided us to go for the new map / 12 months' map update option.

Hopefully I won't need to trouble anyone again. . . unless, of course, the map doesn't load / the XL freezes / and the satnav, if not the Internet, is un-invented.

Sincere thanks again to everyone here for their kindness. Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have got your new map perhaps it is time to consider some accurate POI files for the device, shops/ cash points/ petrol stations along with hundreds of other categories, see Here also don't forget the option of the Speed Camera database and full spoken alerts which are also offered by the site - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: