Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. . .
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps, SD cards & other questions from aged novices. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget, if you are a current subscriber, you will get lifetime subscription if you see a qualifying new speed camera!

Just out of curiosity, where in northumberland are you? And which bits of the A1 do you consider to be out of date?

Steven

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to muddy the waters! Twisted Evil

I have three devices running TomTom maps side by side. Maps 675, 810 and 825 (latest). I've driven nearly 50,000 miles in the UK in the last 12 months, going all directions. Recently, I have not seen any significant difference between map 675 and map 825. There are differences (A1, M1, M62 area), but the old map would still get me everywhere.

But I only run the 675 map because a more recent one is NOT available for the device it runs on and I WOULD upgrade via the subscription method if it were available to me.

PS - I'm old.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Reynger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike -- thanks for that info, and the link, definitely for us!

Steven: thanks for the reminder re speed cameras, I guess we'll be on the look-out more than ever now. (Incidentally, we trundle down to Norwich from way oop near the Cumbrian border by Hadrian's Wall. Fortunately, the wall seems not to need a map update. . . Wink

Our current TT mapping doesn't have any of the major A1 changes (Blythe down to Peterborough) so we find ourselves being told to come off onto roundabouts we're actually about to drive under, or over, after which we appear to plunge across open fields. There's also a major roundabout outside King's Lynn (end of dual carriageway section) on the Norwich route which we're asked to turn onto despite the fact the road flies over the top of that junction to a different roundabout further on and has done -- so we're told -- these past 5 years. Fun!

Dennis: nobody is old! Just experienced. Though not necessarily in satellite navigation, as my posts continue to demonstrate. We are doing the £63 new map / 12 month map upgrade service because as you say, the subscription service is worth it in view of our changed circumstances.

(Sorry: by which I meant, I've had enough of aeroplanes and airports. Flying was fun, once upon a time. Now that passengers are treated no different to their baggage, and it seems one is expected to look eternally grateful to be allowed through frozen-faced security or even back into the bloody country, that's it. I was nearly exiled permanently last time by a thick officious prat at UK Immigration who asked me to turn my passport around for him so he could see the picture: turn it around yourself mate, you're holding the bloody thing, not me. And why are 15 year olds employed as immigration officers / border guards / whatever anyway?

(We made the mistake of thinking that in the 30 years since we'd last driven around mainland Europe, all the roads there would be as jammed / broken / hell-on-wheels as they've become here. Last summer's 'fact finding' tour of France proved so much to the contrary, we actually found little difference in traffic in 2008 to that of 1978, when we were galloping around in our Ford Capri and thinking we were in motoring Heaven. Still, with a tobacco-coloured vinyl roof, we probably were.

(Updating our Western Europe map, then, from 6.75 to 8.25 seems prudent lest we're lost in France in a couple of months' time or lost in Germany in September. . .)

Thanks again everyone for the help!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally... When you do go for the map, you'll be using Home. You will also need Broadband and depending on the prevailing circumstances, the patience needed to wait whilst it all downloads. At a quiet time maps can download in half an hour, in bad times it can take HOURS. A good quiet time is after midnight UK time, and that's good anyway - if you have the self confidence to set it going and walk off to bed.

One thing you won't have long to wait for is support from this site if you start to struggle - perhaps it's wicked to say so, but don't bother with TomTom Support unless we tell you to.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Reynger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis: thanks for that info, it's especially valuable because although we're on broadband, it's not exactly broadband as most people would know it -- because of our line length / distance from exchange, our speed isn't that much faster than it was in dial-up days.

So yes, I'll DL after midnight, and wait with fingers crossed!

Re TT support: yup, I've noticed when lurking that the user satisfaction rate hasn't always been 100% so. . . Say no more! Wink

Thanks again.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reynger wrote:
Dennis: nobody is old! Just experienced. Though not necessarily in satellite navigation, as my posts continue to demonstrate.
Dennis is VERY "experienced"!! Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: