Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPS 12 BNG co-ordinate wrong
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPS 12 BNG co-ordinate wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loftcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS 12 BNG co-ordinate wrong Reply with quote

I have a rather old Garmin GPS 12 unit which I've recently revived after two or three years without use. In the past it's been extremely reliable, but since reviving it the British National Grid co-ordinates are out by a couple of hundred yards in latitude. However if I switch the position format to decimal or long/lat it actually gives an accurate reading. I'm measuring against a 1:25000 OS paper map, and a Navman Pocket PC running Memory Map.
I've checked the GPS 12 map datum is set to WGS 84, but I'm at a loss what else I can do to correct it. It's annoying because it seems to be reading the satellites correctly, but I can't figure out why I'm getting a duff reading for BNG. Can anyone help??
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think you need your map datum at Ordnance Survey GB (OSGB) to be compatible with the British National Grid and with your OS maps.

Dales.
loftcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dales, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - I didn't think there was anything else I need to change on these units. I know they are quite old but other than the software updates on the Garmin site there's nothing else you can download for it. I've also used it in the past without problems, so I'm not sure what could have caused the settings to change...
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loftcat, you don't need a download for your device. You can alter the GPS12's map datum on its Navigation Setup page. (See page 44 of your manual, available here).

See the comments from BarryD (an Advanced user) in his second entry here. These comments are helpful for those wishing their GPS position display in British National Grid format, to be compatible with printed OS maps using the OSGB datum.

Dales.
loftcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dales! With your assistance I've corrected my settings and it's working perfectly! Funny how I sussed this out years ago (probably by stumbling into the OS GB setting) but found myself stuck this time by being quite sure WGS 84 was correct - just shows a little knowledge can be dangerous!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older GARMIN units (I have a GPSII+) did allow you to set up some illogical combinations of Map datum and display format. Modern ones don't allow you to make this mistake. Note that any data transfer done from the unit (eg track downloads or route/waypoint uploads are always done in WGS84 datum irrespective of the units map datum setting - another thing to confuse the unsuspecting!
loftcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
The older GARMIN units (I have a GPSII+) did allow you to set up some illogical combinations of Map datum and display format. Modern ones don't allow you to make this mistake. Note that any data transfer done from the unit (eg track downloads or route/waypoint uploads are always done in WGS84 datum irrespective of the units map datum setting - another thing to confuse the unsuspecting!

philpugh: interesting to know. At the moment I haven't got a cable handy but I'm thinking of picking one up. I guess once I have my waypoints over to my PC it won't matter so much as Memory Map seems to handle these differences pretty well.

I'm pretty glad to get this working as it'll be great for what I use it for. The Navman I have is running Memory Map and it great, but it was built for driving sat nav and lacks the ruggedness and battery life of my Garmin.

I was actually toying with the idea of picking up a Garmin eTrex H to replace my GPS 12, but seeing as I have this working I'll probably stay put. I can't see much difference apart from the size of course. Would the newer models pick up satellites a lot better than the GPS 12?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can confirm that MemoryMap deals OK with your downloaded tracks (and with your waypoints/tracks for uploading) when all the datums on PC and device are set up.

What I didn't realise, was the info from philpugh saying that transfers to/from the device are in WGS84.

However, all becomes clear now, when I remember that the OS maps on the PC (unlike the printed maps) are in WGS84 datum. So the downloads to PC are thereby consistent with the PC's maps. And the device, when set up, must take the WGS84 uploads and perform any necessary conversions. Interesting!

Dales.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS see here, where
Skippy wrote:
You could have a look at the new Outdoor Garmins that use SiRF III chipset because they get a better reception.

Cheers,

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: