Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New X40 car mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New X40 car mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: New X40 car mount Reply with quote

I've just bought an extra car mount so that I have a mount for both cars, and I decided to buy the Active Dock Mount Kit to connect my iPod (well, iPhone). However, it is not at all clear now I've got it how I'm meant to connect to an iPod. There are 2 extra jack sockets compared with my other mount, however there are no instructions at all with the new one, or even any mention of iPod on the packaging. This is not good enough. Surely, it's not just jack to jack, as that would provide no active control over the iPod. Can someone please enlighten me.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also need the iPod Connect Cable kit that TomTom sell. This is a mini-jack to iPod Connector cable to allow two way control but it does not charge the device. A major failing in my opinion.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You'll also need the iPod Connect Cable kit that TomTom sell. This is a mini-jack to iPod Connector cable to allow two way control but it does not charge the device. A major failing in my opinion.

That is appalling. When it said 'cable not included' I assumed it meant a standard iPod USB cable of which I have several kicking around. As it happens I've just realised I have got such a cable that I got with my 910, but that's not the point.
And as for not charging, that was my primary motive for connecting the iPod.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an iPOD lead from the 910 that will work fine with the 940 accessory mount, if you need a cable, Halfords were selling them off for £3 recently in my local store!

As for supplying power to the iPOD its not possible, I would sooner put a large (8 or 16GB) MicroSD card in the 940 and use that to store/ play music, it means less cables and much easier control - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As for supplying power to the iPOD its not possible,

It might be possible, Kensington have a charger that has a pass-thru connector but if it works it's not a very tidy solution.

As for the memory-card solution, many of us have our music in .aac format as delivered by iTunes so can't use the GO Media Player in that fashion.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
many of us have our music in .aac format as delivered by iTunes so can't use the GO Media Player in that fashion.

There are probably lots of other ways of getting round this, but a simple (if long-winded) one is to use iTunes to burn audio CDs of the tracks you want.
You can then use iTunes again to produce mp3 versions of the tracks from the CDs.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it is possible but why bother? I have an iPod, I have a multitude of Macs, I have an iPod Stereo Head Unit and I have an iPod Bose Dock.

At the end of the day, a TomTom is a far from ideal music player unless you hook it up to your stereo, I'm much happier using the tools designed for the job. Your mileage may/will vary.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

As for supplying power to the iPOD its not possible, I would sooner put a large (8 or 16GB) MicroSD card in the 940 and use that to store/ play music, it means less cables and much easier control - Mike

I cannot give up using the iPhone as my media player. This is because I use it exclusively for podcasts, which I listen to once and then throw away. Some of these are daily podcasts (The Archers and various technical ones) and my phone is automatically updated from iTunes every night when I charge it. The thought of doing ad-hoc copying of these files manually is a complete no no. I can still plug the phone directly into my car radio through the aux port if I wish, and I have external battery packs for it, so it's no big deal, I just thought a properly implemented iPod dock connector would be a somewhat more elegant solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: