Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Update Service for 930 do you get both maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Update Service for 930 do you get both maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Map Update Service for 930 do you get both maps? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

On the map update service which I am subscribed to for my TT930T, do I get both maps North America, and Western & Central Europe or just one?

I cannot remember what it said when I signed up, I copied this from the TT site and its the 4th bullet point which has got me wondering,

"Things to remember:

1.You’ll always drive with the latest map: thanks to new map releases and Map Share
2.You will be prompted every time a new release of your map becomes available by TomTom HOME
3.It’s great value for money
4.Map Update Service is for the map your device currently uses
5.Map Update Service starts with the latest map, so you may have to upgrade your map, at a discounted price"

Thanks in advance,

SDM197.
LandRocket
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Map Update Reply with quote

I had to sign up to the Map Update Service on my 940, because those lovely people at TomTom brought out the latest map after two days of device ownership Sad ie bought device on Wednesday, used Latest Map Guarantee Thursday, new map released Friday

and...... all I got for my money was Western Europe updated to 8.25. The other map stayed at version 8.15
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Update Reply with quote

LandRocket wrote:

and...... all I got for my money was Western Europe updated to 8.25. The other map stayed at version 8.15

Have you tried switching to your other map and seeing if you get the updates for that one? The 4th bullet point in the previous post says

'4.Map Update Service is for the map your device currently uses' so if you were USING the first map, the update service might not recognise that you had a second map on the device.

Might be woth a test?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen a post from anyone claiming they got both maps updated under LMG without a firm call to TT support, and even then it's hit or miss. TTHome is not going to offer you both. Correct me if I'm wrong. That in itself should tell you what their official policy is.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDM, you get what you pay for! Map Update Service is a charge per map. Your invoice that was e-mailed to you should say which map you have paid for.

Howver Latest Map Guarantee is a guarantee for all maps that come as standard with your device. Of course the LMG expires after 30 days.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the sense that European users have gotten LESS of a hassle when attempting to upgrade both maps for their 9x units than have NA users with the same units.
LandRocket
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom Reply with quote

OK, well I went into TomTom's website, under MyTomTom, My Orders, this is what I've got:

Order Date: 27-Feb-09

1 1SDA.057.02.2 Map Update Service - Western & Central Europe
1 1SDA.002.01CPQ Upgrade to the Latest Map (original map discounted by ± 85%)

Since the device contains 2 maps, 1 being Western & Central Europe, the other being North America, I will assume quite bluntly that I ain't going to get the map updates for North America for free....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a ring in the morning and ask why the North American map hasn't updated, the number 0845 161 0009 they will probably ask for proof of purchase so grab a scan or digital picture of your receipt - Mike
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the LMG you should get both maps for a 930.

I had to contact TT support to update the North America Map, which took about 2 weeks to get sorted out as they assigned the map to to a different email address to the one I was using for my 930. Rolling Eyes

If you are talking about the Map Subscriptions, then I am sure you have to pay for each Map seperately.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Technik says, when you speak to TomTom about this, remember you are dealing with two totally separate things....

The LMG *should* have offered you a free update for [both maps - in your case this would have been v815. This you can fight for...

You subsequently bought the Subscription service for just the Western and Central Europe map - which has brought you up to v825 for that one. This is all as it should be, so don't bother arguing about that one. Smile
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, here in North America it's not as simple as just asking for both maps under LMG. You still usually get a fight, and some are denied. Perhaps they treat you guys a litle better over there, since some are close enough to throw a rock.

But do you know of anyone ever offered both maps under LMG simply using Home? Scary thinking about the percentage of new owners who never get the maps they're entitled to even tho they do what they're supposed to. We know what we're really entitled to. JoeAverage has no idea.
ASDTi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must lead a charmed life! Very Happy

I am that person - I recently bought a 940 and was offered latest versions of Western Europe AND North America by TomTom Home.

When I bought a 920 last year (whole 'nother story...) I had real difficulty getting offered anything. Turns out that when you first switch on your TT and it gets its first GPS fix, a logfile is created which when you first login to TT Home is used to determine your eligibility for LMG (at least in theory).

I was careful to switch on the 940, allow it to get a fix, and only then to connect to TT Home, and was then offered both maps. This gives the LMG the best chance of working (but it seems that even then it doesn't always).

As luck would have it, that was a week before the recent map update Sad so I still had to subscribe to the map update service...
andyj1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also must be charmed, because I got both maps from the LMG via home without major problems.

I did not have to contact TT, but did have problems connecting to the server. However when I did , I got both maps!.
bassbluestew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: LMG Reply with quote

Hi all, newbie here. I thought the 30 day LMG meant that you would receive any updates free of charge released within 30 days of purchasing/registering your unit. Is this wrong ??
Am thinking of changing my old go710 for a new 930 as the mount for the 710 is broken and 930t's seem to be on a good deal at the moment ( cheapest I've found is £240)
thanks
Stewart
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LMG Reply with quote

bassbluestew wrote:
Hi all, newbie here. I thought the 30 day LMG meant that you would receive any updates free of charge released within 30 days of purchasing/registering your unit.

Yes, that's the idea. But the automated system sometimes only offers one map or doesn't offer the actual latest one, and then you have to get TT customer services involved.

For reasons which are totally beyond most of us, customer services sometimes offer you both maps without hesitation, but sometimes INSIST you are not entitled to the N. America map if you live in Europe. Sometimes they apologise if you weren't offered the real latest map version, sometimes they try to wriggle out of it. Sometimes they insist the wording means you would only be entitled to a new map that was AVAILABLE on the day you bought your machine and the 30 days was only the time you had to CLAIM it.

Why they aren't consistent is a mystery. USUALLY, if you are polite but insistent, you get your rights in the end.
Customers in America seem to have a harder job getting the Europe map than we have getting the US one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: