Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Average Speed Cameras to Police UK Rural Speed Reduction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Speed Cameras to Police UK Rural Speed Reduction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisman56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the people proposing the blanket speed reduction to 50mph really think that the idiots that ignore the 60mph national speed limit would take notice of the new one?

What really needs looking at is the current zeal of local councils for apparently arbitrary reductions of rural roads to 40 and 50 mph (signposted, of course, with little yellow signs with the relevant speed limit sign with a camera sign underneath). I'm getting really peed off with having to stick to 40mph on a dead straight and level road just because some 'elf and safety zealot has decided that because the local XR3i brigade have managed to somehow wrap their cars around trees that we all need to slow down... Confused
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
[

Sorry for being cynical, but as a regular driver of a 13.75m tour coach, I see far too many who have little idea of safe driving. .............

JaTe, good post, with you all the way mate.
magandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reducing speed limit to 50mph will increase emissions Reply with quote

As the most efficient speed of the average car is around 56mph, surely reduction of the speed limit from 60 to 50 will just increase emissions and increase fuel consumption?!

What we need is to take CCTV to the extreme, with all drivers having the option of a subsidised, gps linked(for speed capture) dashboard mountable video camera to record other drivers' poor driving and an official website (a la YouTube stylie) to receive all video uploads for subsequent prosecution. No more arguments over blame. Confused

Andy M, BEng.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing speed limit to 50mph will increase emissions Reply with quote

magandyuk wrote:
As the most efficient speed of the average car is around 56mph, surely reduction of the speed limit from 60 to 50 will just increase emissions and increase fuel consumption?!
Hmm. My feeling has always been that 56mph is the optimum compromise between never getting there and burning up the world's carbon reserves - that is to say, doing 30mph uses less fuel, but you'll take forever to get there. I recall some programme from Top Gear doing the experiment and driving at something like 1000 rpm from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of fuel in a gas guzzler??

But what do I know? I didn't even finish Physics.

Edit to add...
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/12/26/video-london-to-edinburgh-and-back-on-one-tank-of-diesel-in-an/

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading something written by an Automotive Engineer (who obviously should know more about these things than me/us).

Basically, he was of the opinion that the most economical speed to drive at is where the engine hits its peak torque in top gear - which, in my car (SEAT Leon 1.9 TDi), would indeed be 60MPH (2,000 RPM).

In fact, I tried an experiment driving back from Coventry to Surrey - reset the trip computer, set the Cruise Control at 60 and averaged 78 - 82 MPG over about 50 miles - not bad, considering my car isn't really an eco-box! I've never got near that driving at 50 - due to having to constantly change up and down between 4th and 5th gears for gradients...
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago when I wuz at ingineering college we did an experiment on an engine and the peak ENGINE efficiency was at the rpm at which the engine delivered maximum torque.

The power needed to push a car along at a constant speed on a level road varies as follows:

Directly proportional to the speed for rolling resistance of tyres etc.

Proportional to the square of the speed for friction in wheel bearings, transmission etc.

Proportional to the cube of the speed for aerodynamic drag.

So as speed increases from 0 mph, energy losses from these 3 items increases in varying amounts, whilst engine efficiency increases until the point where a balance is achieved between engine efficiency and energy losses.

If I had my slide rule handy I'd tell you what that speed is.

The most economical speed will vary from car to car as they all have different amounts of the various components.

Oddly enough, many larger cars are more economical at speed than the smaller ones as they have less aerodynamic drag.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talisman56 wrote:
What really needs looking at is the current zeal of local councils for apparently arbitrary reductions of rural roads to 40 and 50 mph (signposted, of course, with little yellow signs with the relevant speed limit sign with a camera sign underneath).

I agree. I read somewhere that the reduction of speed limits on (especially rural) roads was due to the fact that the lower the speed limit of the road, the less well that road needs to be maintained by
the authority responsible for that road, i.e. a road with a 70 mph speed limit should be in much better condition than a road with a 20 mph speed limit.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
The most economical speed will vary from car to car as they all have different amounts of the various components.

And as any AMInstCTE will tell us, also varies depending on the particular caravan and prevailing wind speed and direction.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This petition seems to be loosing momentum Embarassed

Any body not signed can HERE

This is not my petition, but it does seem silly not to sign and keep it going.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: